AZ Barbeque.com

BDS vs WSM

Discussion started on

Oh Kay Cees

Ok, have little extra $$$$ and want to get another smoker. Have to leave the trailer at home with the gas prices going crazy. So I was thinking about getting a BDS or a WSM?Which one is better ??? ???  I know one thing they both produce champions  8) 8)!!!
#1 - May 30, 2008, 03:41:32 pm

Thom Emery

I have both
But If I were to buy one or the other once again
I would call Rocky at BDS
#2 - May 30, 2008, 08:43:55 pm
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:24:46 am by Thom Emery »
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

SWestBBQ

Ok dumb question...BDS? umm what is that?  ??? Second.. I would'nt expect gas prices to go down any time in the next 10 years.  ;D So, think about how the competitions are going to look.  ;D :D hehehehe I mean, how are we going to cook whole hog on a WSM. LOL :D  ;D :D
#3 - May 30, 2008, 10:43:53 pm
Perfect Q = Tender succulent meat with a savory rub, cooked low/slow with aromatic wood. Sauce is just another condiment.

Weber Smokey Joe, 2 Weber Silver Kettles, Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill w/mods, New Braunfels Silver Smoker w/mods, Beginning my first UDS build.

Thom Emery

Big Drum Smoker  Converted Food Grade steel drum
A Small Spicewine would be much sexier :)
#4 - May 31, 2008, 06:22:15 am
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 06:23:59 am by Thom Emery »

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Jaybird

Ok, have little extra $$$$ and want to get another smoker. Have to leave the trailer at home with the gas prices going crazy. So I was thinking about getting a BDS or a WSM?Which one is better ??? ???  I know one thing they both produce champions  8) 8)!!!

What are you planning to do with one cooker? My point is if you are talking about competitions and you are leaving your trailer at home i'm assuming you have other cookers??? If so what do you plan on using the new cooker for? Maybe I can help if I know a little more.
#5 - May 31, 2008, 06:25:19 am

Oh Kay Cees

Jay, i have an small offset smoker but I won't want to use in competitions. I want to travel light. I am planning on using these new smoker for competitions only. Which one would you like better?? 
#6 - June 01, 2008, 07:17:18 am

SWestBBQ

Big Drum Smoker  Converted Food Grade steel drum
A Small Spicewine would be much sexier :)

Thanks Thom. Now I know.  ;D I looked at the Spicewine's and I think they're ok, just not my style. But I was looking at the Langs and Peoira Custom Cookers. Then I found Gator Pit and I think the shipping is going to be cheaper with them. I am looking to go with a Gator Pit 2448. I think it will be small enough to move around the back yard but still big enough to do a whole hog. Not a 225# monster one, but maybe a 35-50# one.  ;D All of this is still far off for me, as I haven't collected enough cans to get one yet. LOL  ;D Oh Kay Cees I would go with what ever you can get and afford. I have seen both in action and both cook good Q if you know how to use it. Which I find id the real key. Find the one you like and master it. No matter what it always comes down to the cook. ;D
#7 - June 01, 2008, 10:46:51 am
Perfect Q = Tender succulent meat with a savory rub, cooked low/slow with aromatic wood. Sauce is just another condiment.

Weber Smokey Joe, 2 Weber Silver Kettles, Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill w/mods, New Braunfels Silver Smoker w/mods, Beginning my first UDS build.

Thom Emery

Ritch at Gator builds a fine pit
#8 - June 01, 2008, 08:37:56 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Mike (AZBarbeque)

We have some great pricing coming up for the weekend we are out at the Big Boys & Their Toys show, let me know if you are interested...  ;)
#9 - June 01, 2008, 09:35:06 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Tex A Que

You can build your own UDS (ugly drum smoker) for a little over $100.00, with all new parts.  I saw the one that Toys 4 BBQ'n brought to a recent event and then built my own.  It's a nice setup and is easy to regulate.  With that low of an investment it's hard to go wrong.
#10 - June 02, 2008, 06:35:55 am
What'cha been smoke'n

Jaybird

In comps I use two BDS's and two WSM's. I travel with the WSM's inside of the BDS's so the whole thing doesn't take up much room at all. I've been through the whole spectrum of stickburners and this is what I've settled in with. What SWestBBQ says: What ever you get, master it.
#11 - June 02, 2008, 07:42:58 am
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 09:30:21 am by Jaybird »

jim

Loaded the WSM last night and cooked some pork for the grand babies baptisim. Started at 9:00PM -- 6:30AM checked temp and was still runnung 210deg with quite a bit of Dura flame left.
I have never looked in the BDS or have cooked on one so no opimion on them, seems they cook really well --example: Otis & the Bird uses them. Both would work depending on the amount of food your cooking --
jim
#12 - June 03, 2008, 07:35:52 am

SWestBBQ

Jim, I noticed you put that you used Duraflame... Is that one of those composite fire logs? Have you used those before? I ask because I was under the impression that those were full of fuels like lighter fluids. And from what I know that is going to be inparted to your meats. One of my friends started his smoke cooking experience by using lighter fluid on charcoal. He stopped after the first go around. We could taste it in the meat.  :P So just asking.
#13 - June 03, 2008, 03:48:22 pm

VisionQuest220

Jim, I noticed you put that you used Duraflame... Is that one of those composite fire logs?

Duraflame also makes charcoal briquettes and that is what Jim is talking about using.  Using a Duraflame firelog would be bad, bad, bad.

As for the BDS vs WSM question, I've never used a BDS so I can't speak to how it compares but I know enough to know that if Jay is using two of them then they are cookers worthy of consideration.  We've had great success with our 4 WSM approach to competition cooking so I know that all WSMs will work too.
#14 - June 03, 2008, 04:27:54 pm
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:29:59 pm by VisionQuest220 »
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

jim

Duraflame briquetts --- burn long and hot -- bought 40 bags at the begining of the season.
PS -- whet to empty the ash bucket this morning and the stuff was still smoldering-a day later
jim
#15 - June 04, 2008, 07:33:51 am

Members: