AZ Barbeque.com

trying to build a smoker

Discussion started on

bbqman73

Well, I got a little more work done today on my smoker project. I'm really trying to get it done and seasoned before Thanksgiving. There is still a lot of work left to do. I still need to build the firebox door, smoke outlet, upper cooking rack, and mount it to the trailer. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for looking!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - October 30, 2010, 10:22:41 pm

bbqman73

Some earlier pics. I started with a 320 gallon propane tank and cut the length down. The smoke chamber is nearly 6 feet long and 30 inch diameter. I'll keep adding pics as I make more progress.

#2 - October 30, 2010, 10:29:58 pm

chefrob

pretty cool............should be a fun one to watch.
#3 - October 30, 2010, 10:48:48 pm

Slow Fu

Robert- Is that a forklift elevating the tank...it is not often I find two things to envy in the same photo.  Looks like a start on neat build...show us more my envy can't wait.  When cutting the bell off did you find it had been inserted some inches into the cylinder before the original welding? And did you find this out before or after the cutting?   Slow Fu
#4 - October 31, 2010, 08:46:04 am

SmoknAZ

Looking good! I will be doing the same except guessing my build will take quite a while. :'(
#5 - October 31, 2010, 09:14:29 am
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the finished product
#6 - October 31, 2010, 01:45:47 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

bbqman73

Robert- Is that a forklift elevating the tank...it is not often I find two things to envy in the same photo.  Looks like a start on neat build...show us more my envy can't wait.  When cutting the bell off did you find it had been inserted some inches into the cylinder before the original welding? And did you find this out before or after the cutting?   Slow Fu

When I cut the bell off I noticed there was a 1 inch wide metal band welded in behind it for extra strength....and unfortunately, I found this after I started cutting. Next time I will cut it differently.
#7 - October 31, 2010, 07:59:15 pm

bbqman73

;D I got a lttle morework done today. I finished the cooking racks, the firebox door(except for the air inlet), put a handle on smoke chamber door and started building the legs to mount smoker to a trailer...Here are a few more pics. Enjoy!!!

#8 - October 31, 2010, 08:39:13 pm

n2dabluebbq

looks like it is coming along just fine.
#9 - November 03, 2010, 10:18:29 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

PAT YOUNG

BRIAN, looks good ! Are you going to split the door and or use counter weights? I built mine a few years ago and wish that i had split the door!! Or at least my back does! :)
#10 - November 04, 2010, 12:45:38 am

AzQer

Very nice smoker there Brian can't wait to see it in action.
#11 - November 04, 2010, 07:05:38 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

bbqman73

BRIAN, looks good ! Are you going to split the door and or use counter weights? I built mine a few years ago and wish that i had split the door!! Or at least my back does! :)
I'm probably gonna use counterweights. I'm hoping to get the rest of it built and ready for thanksgiving and then work on the weights after. I totally agree with your back because that door is heavy...LOL!!! Thanks
#12 - November 04, 2010, 08:49:04 pm

bbqman73

Very nice smoker there Brian can't wait to see it in action.
Thank you!!! I can't wait to use it and all the guys at work want me to hurry up so they can borrow it(I knew that was gonna happen).
#13 - November 04, 2010, 08:52:12 pm

Trailhound

I think I would have split the door just to help with keeping heat in the pit.
I built one of my pits with only one door and now I'm going back and reworking it to have two doors.
My new pit has two doors in it and I'm liking the way it keeps heat in.

just my 2 cents
#14 - November 05, 2010, 08:32:01 am
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

bbqman73

I think I would have split the door just to help with keeping heat in the pit.
I built one of my pits with only one door and now I'm going back and reworking it to have two doors.
My new pit has two doors in it and I'm liking the way it keeps heat in.

just my 2 cents
I struggled with that decision when I was cutting the door out. I knew that if I cut a single door it would be easy to change later so that it has 2 overlapping doors and I'm still considering it. I just want to try it first and see how well it does. This is my first smoker build and I'm learning as I go. Thank you for the input.
#15 - November 05, 2010, 03:28:50 pm

Members: