AZ Barbeque.com

I need a smoker

Discussion started on

desertdog

Anyone have a smoker they are thinking of replacing?  I have been looking at the Weber Smokey Mountain but a new one is $250 bucks.  Would be interested in picking up a used one if available at a decent price.

Or does anyone have a better idea? 

DD

#1 - November 16, 2007, 07:59:11 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

VisionQuest220

Amazon.com frequently has the WSM on sale for $199.99 with free shipping.  They don't have it on sale at this very moment but that could, and often does, change from one day to the next.  Check them out every day and you'll eventually find the offer.

The WSM is a great unit for both backyard and competition use.  We compete using four of them.
#2 - November 16, 2007, 09:14:15 am
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Aaron

For the price you just cant beat a WSM. They are the best. Kind of hard to work with sometimes, but still the best. I keep an eye on this link. I bought one from them brand new not so long ago for $180 with free shipping. The price goes up and down on the site though. They are charging $40 for shipping right now. Next week they might give you free shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Weber_2820_Smoky_Mountain_Cooker_Smoker_in_Black/q/loc/111/90123035.html
#3 - November 16, 2007, 04:04:18 pm

Smoke_Ring

You could go on Craig's list and see if you could get a used one.  Or buy a used 22.5" Weber kettle and buy a Smokenator.  Easy to control, keeps food moist.  Check it out www.smokenator.com  I have had mine for over three years, probably the longest since I invented it.  ;D.  That disclosure given.
The Weber Kettle really is a mean Smoking Machine. Get an 18" Weber grill and put 3" legs on it and you have the same capacity as the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Don
#4 - November 19, 2007, 05:42:10 pm

SmokeWatcher

You could go on Craig's list and see if you could get a used one.  Or buy a used 22.5" Weber kettle and buy a Smokenator.  Easy to control, keeps food moist.  Check it out www.smokenator.com  I have had mine for over three years, probably the longest since I invented it.  ;D.  That disclosure given.
The Weber Kettle really is a mean Smoking Machine. Get an 18" Weber grill and put 3" legs on it and you have the same capacity as the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Don
That's an impressive piece of equipment there.  I might have to add that to my "cooker collection".
#5 - November 20, 2007, 05:48:44 am
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.

VisionQuest220

I purchased a Smokenator back in October '06 before our first ever competition.  I was looking to maximize our cooking capacity without having to purchase another smoker before figuring out whether we liked competing or not.

Before and after the purchase, Don and I worked together on how to get the maximum performance out of the unit including how to create a good seal between the Weber kettle and the Weber rotisserie ring which allowed us to take full advantage of all the available space.  The design of the Smokenator is clean, simple and will give Weber kettle owners a lot of extra options.  It's a great and inexpensive way to begin cooking traditional "low & slow" barbeque.
#6 - November 20, 2007, 09:19:37 am
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

desertdog

Don

Thanks Don!  Very clever idea.

Might have to go that route.

#7 - November 21, 2007, 02:02:34 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

SWestBBQ

desertdog, This may be too late, but the WSM is normally 199.99. If you get charged more, wait or go somewhere else. I have an NBBD. I got it cheap at Home depot back in the day. I know they are selling char-grillers with a side firbox now. A friend of mine says it is sweet. I think they are about 200.00. I also have a Brinkman smoke and grill. It costs about 40.00. Yes forty bucks. I keep seeing them at little local hardware stores and now and again at home depot. It is a WSM type smoker. A few super cheap mods and it kicks butt..actuly butts. I have 2 on right now. If I am too late, I hope you got something you like. If not too late I hope this helps.
#8 - February 02, 2008, 02:05:08 pm
Perfect Q = Tender succulent meat with a savory rub, cooked low/slow with aromatic wood. Sauce is just another condiment.

Weber Smokey Joe, 2 Weber Silver Kettles, Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill w/mods, New Braunfels Silver Smoker w/mods, Beginning my first UDS build.

barbedQ

Dean,

The charbroils at Home Depot are cheap and they should be.  They are thinner metal than the old NB.  For example, I can pick mine up and put it in the bed of the truck without help.  If I did that with one of my NB I'd blow out a nut.  It also leaks like a sieve, the latch for the fire box is actually cut out of the fire box and bent to hold the latch.  Had to cram with foil to seal.
I only use mine for chicken, burgers and brats.

Save yourself some time and sleep and wait for a WSM you can afford.

Then get Vince to help you put all the mods on it.
#9 - February 05, 2008, 07:09:56 pm
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

bearbonez

Here is another plus for the WSM.  The stacker on this moder will perfectly fit a WSM adding capacity.   http://www.smokinlicious.com/index.php?Probbq
#10 - February 29, 2008, 01:40:45 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Rub

You can build yourself a UDS/BDS for under $100. Best money I ever spent. Great cooking, very efficent, can't beat a UDS!!!! I love mine.  ;D
#11 - March 30, 2008, 05:59:55 pm
1 Home Build
1 UDS
1 Brinkman Smoke-N-Pit
1 Turkey Frier

Thom Emery

I have a couple of ol school BDS
#12 - March 31, 2008, 06:05:04 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

jim