AZ Barbeque.com

Competition cooker Questions

Discussion started on

SWestBBQ

Ok, I have some questions about competitions and cookers. I have seen all kinds of cookers at competitions. But a lot of people take their trailer cookers. I have seen these pulled by everything from motorhomes to PT cruisers. In the thread competition checklists, it was even mentioned to go with a pop up tent and a lawn chair.  ;D (This is going to be me.) How do the contests feel about this kind of stuff? Or should I say what is allowed and not allowed? How would you find out? I have also seen toy-haulers. Does anyone here take one? What kind of cooker do you have? Do you double tow, or take multiple vehicles? Are there small competitions that would be better to start off at? Do all competitions have an amature group? Should I just shut-up and go?  ;D I'll probably have others later, but this is a start. Thanks all.
#1 - May 27, 2008, 11:11:35 am
Perfect Q = Tender succulent meat with a savory rub, cooked low/slow with aromatic wood. Sauce is just another condiment.

Weber Smokey Joe, 2 Weber Silver Kettles, Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill w/mods, New Braunfels Silver Smoker w/mods, Beginning my first UDS build.

TOPS BBQ

The BBQ world is your oyster.  Don't be shy about asking questions, how else are you going to learn?

All the scenarios are available, plus many others.  Every competition (in my limited experience) is different in way or another.  Some sites will allow you a huge area to setup your travel trailer, truck and smoker(s) all together, while others may gave you just enough of an area to set your smoker and an EZ-up.  Some may give you extra space free of charge, while others will charge extra.

Depending on who is going to a comp with me and how relaxed (rested) they want to be the next day, decides whether or not we take a travel trailer.  If so, then we have to take two trucks.  I have seen many teams rent U-Hauls or drive RVs towing their rigs behind it.

It really comes down to what are you comfortable with?  Can you get by sleeping in a chair with a blanket?  Do you have a towable rig or can you load your units like WSM or UDS into the back of a van with ice chests and what not and be on your way?

As for small or big competitions to start off with, it really shouldn't matter.  Try to find a comp you are comfortable with paying the entry fee.  You're BBQ neighbors will more than likely share some insight with you and help you along.  ;)
#2 - May 27, 2008, 11:43:32 am
www.TOPS-BBQ.com
www.myspace.com/TOPSBBQ

FAT 50 Ultra
A whole sleuth of homemade grills and smokers

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!

toys4dlr

Ok, I can only speak for our team.  However, I think you should find an event that is somewhat close and go to see first hand what they are about.  That is what we did for the event at taylor in 2006, by the taylor event in 2007 we cooked in it.  We have done 7 since that time. 

The madness has began.   ;D

I have a toy hauler and place my cookers inside.  My cookers include a Stump's Smoker GF 222 CM, XL Big Green Egg (on a homemade Cart) and one UDS that I made. 

The downside with my set up is that I usually have to pay additional for a larger space.  the upside is the sleeping, bathroom, etc that comes with having a RV. 

We usually set up a 10 x 10 EZ UP type tent to set up the prep area, PC area, etc.  Get the chairs out to enjoy the event and have other people stop by.  That is really what these things are about, enjoying the time with the family, friends and cook the best of my ability.  Hopefully sometime in the future I will be able to cook to the best of Jay's ability  ;D

Around here, I have not seen too much with a main event and a backyard comp together.  Avondale had one, Rawhide Last year (the day after the main event), so you might just have to jump into the deep end in the main event.  Dead Meat did that at Saddle Sore in their first event and they just finished there second event in Boulder City NV.  They finished 9th overall (out of 29) with two top five calls.  A very good event for anyone.

At the events, you will see all kinds of set up and I say go with what fits you and your budget. 
#3 - May 27, 2008, 11:50:05 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great questions.... I'm sure we have a few others who have been wanting to ask as well, so it's good that you do.

As an organizer/promoter of these events and as a cook as well, I can tell you that you shouldn't be shy.  The hardest part about these competitions is just entering your first one.  Ask any of the teams on here.  Once they got to that first one, they were intimidated, but once they were there and cooking, they were hooked and you will be too.

BBQ Competitions are more than just competitions.  The BBQ Community is one Big Family.  Just like you see your Motorcycle clubs, Car clubs, Jeep Clubs, etc, we are a family and enjoy BBQing, meeting new people and making new friends.  I can't tell you how many great people and great friends I have made since starting this crazyiness, but it's been worth it.

Don't worry about if the contest is big or small, if you have an RV or just a chair and blanket.  The biggest thing is just to come on out and experience.

Many times, you can join a team for your first event just to get a feel for it and have them help you meet all the people and get into the "Sport".  I know I personally have had numerous Newbies join our AZBarbeque team for events and each time, they were hooked.

I don't have an RV, but I do have quite a setup that I have added to after each competition, but sometimes, I just pack up one tent, a chair and my smoker and go compete.  It's that simple at times.

Hopefully you can make it to our BBQ Crawl/Social in June, it would be a great time for you to meet many of our great members as well as really discuss in person all of these items.  Just the excitment in everyone's voice as they talk with you about this will have you sold.

Keep the questions coming, that's the main purpose of the site, and we all enjoy the participation.  ;)
#4 - May 27, 2008, 03:34:06 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Quiggs

Yeah what they said... When we got talked into competeing at Saddle Sore it was 1:30 Friday afternoon.  By the time we drove down from Havasu to Cave Creek (shopping for meat and beer on the way) it was 8:30 pm.  Some teams had already started fires and were done prepping.  Word got out we were the newbies and help came out of the smoke!  No less than 15 people stopped by to give us hints, tips and incouragement that continued throughout the night and right up till turn in time.  With that kind of response from your "competition" all sports, clubs, or whaterver group could learn from the BBQ family.  Jump in and and have a blast.......

Dead Meat Dave
#5 - May 27, 2008, 06:49:02 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

SWestBBQ

Thanks for the input. I am continuely inspired by everyone. Maybe this year I will get into the Smokin' at the park over at Viejas this year. Or I'll just hold off for another year... At least I could keep practicing.  ;D
#6 - May 28, 2008, 11:12:14 am
Perfect Q = Tender succulent meat with a savory rub, cooked low/slow with aromatic wood. Sauce is just another condiment.

Weber Smokey Joe, 2 Weber Silver Kettles, Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill w/mods, New Braunfels Silver Smoker w/mods, Beginning my first UDS build.

toys4dlr

Practicing is great (and something I need to do more of), but there is something with just jumping in.  The variables are different in a Comp, with a specific turn schedule, unknown weather, ect.  Once you have the first under your belt, you start to find others to do. 

I say Jump into the deep end 
#7 - May 28, 2008, 11:17:39 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

force

Go Abyss.........
#8 - May 28, 2008, 09:42:30 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Members: