AZ Barbeque.com

Building Rotisserie Smoker

Discussion started on

AZBBQGRILLS

I am now building the Rotisserie Smoker. I will post updated pictures as I go. If you have any questions or comments please reply. Pictures updated 06 Feb 2011. Doors installed and will be heading out of town for a couple of weeks.

I am using tools that I have on hand. I have a 5'x10' cnc plasma table and a Chicago Dries Krump Press Brake. The smoker will be 6 sided and each side will be 24" x 48" . The smoker will stand approximately 42 inches tall. It will be mounted on trailer much like a mule tuff or DP product.  Give me some input on what I have posted or if you have a better idea let me know.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - December 24, 2010, 10:12:11 am
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:13:39 pm by AZBBQGRILLS »
AZ BBQ Grills
Heavy Duty Grill at an Affordable Price

Mike (AZBarbeque)

David,  Great idea, sign me up for one right away.

For the shelf design, the most important thing is that they can hold one or two of the Full Pans.  If you can build it that it can hold them, then the meats will all fit as needed.  If each shelf could hold two of the full pans, that would make it very useful..

Also, make sure you create a very easy way to clean it out.  I small door on the bottom or side (Flush with Bottom) that enables us to go to a car wash and just power spray it out works best.

For the Trailer, make sure it can handle the weight of the smoker plus make it versatile so that tables, coolers & other item can go on it.   This way, owners don't have to take two vehicles loaded with items for the BBQ.

On the outside shelves, make them wide enough to also fit full pans and still have room to work.  18" shelves work great..

I'm sure I could go on all day with ideas & suggestions, as you start building it, maybe I could come down to Tucson & brainstorm with you..

Can't wait to see the final product.  Awesome that you are continually working on improving the designs & functionality...
#2 - December 24, 2010, 10:48:43 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AZBBQGRILLS

Thanks Mike great input. What are the dimensions of a  full pan. The design with 4 shelves measure 18 x 44 the other measures 11 x 44. As for bottom clean out if I center crease it like the grill and out a 2 inch drain would that be adequate?

I find it fun to build. The smoker I just completed had some good improvements.
#3 - December 24, 2010, 11:04:20 am
AZ BBQ Grills

Mike (AZBarbeque)

The 2" drain is nice, but if you can do something wider, that works better.  The drain can get clogged at 2", but if you can't get anything to work better, then go with that.

On the DP's that I had built for me, I had them put a door on the side that was flush with the bottom, it worked great, pull into a car wash and just powerspray everything out through the door..

Not sure what the dimensions of the full pan are.  Any members have that info?  If not, I will look at one of mine and get you the measurements..
#4 - December 24, 2010, 11:19:25 am
Michael J. Reimann

jeremy7506

I would definitly be intrerested in one of the 6 shelf models.
#5 - December 24, 2010, 11:56:07 am
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:59:16 am by jeremy7506 »
ProQ
22.5 WSM
BarBChef offset

AZBBQGRILLS

For drain / I have a great idea. if I the bottom section has a 6 inch square cut out in the center. Then crease it slightly. create a door that is v shaped and slide along rails. There would be a handle in the lower front pull it the door slides forward creating a big opening. How does that sound.
#6 - December 24, 2010, 12:21:29 pm
AZ BBQ Grills

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Yea, that's exactly what I am talking about, that would work perfect...
#7 - December 24, 2010, 12:52:35 pm
Michael J. Reimann

AZBBQGRILLS

So with that piece done should the firebox be set up with the same trap system or should I go with an ash pan.
#8 - December 24, 2010, 02:16:16 pm
AZ BBQ Grills

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I like the same trap system, then I just set a pan below it on the ground.  Makes it easy to clean up and keeps the ash from smothering out the fire..
#9 - December 25, 2010, 02:23:30 am
Michael J. Reimann

AZBBQGRILLS

Hope all had a excellent christmas.

The biggest item i am taking from this is the cleaning. What about the firebox. Questions I have are size, damper heat shield. I have read that a firebox the length of the smoker makes for even heat. the base of the firebox and smoker will be same height. Hence running tuning plates or a heat shield may not work. What are your thoughts also on the motor. Dayton seems to offer the best motor. Below are the two I narrowed it down to.

1LPP7 SUPER HEAVY DUTY FOR ROTISSERIE SMOKER

AC Gearmotor, Parallel Shaft, Single Output Shaft, Nameplate RPM 6, Input HP 1/4, Gear Ratio 286:1, Voltage Rating 115, Full Load Amps 3.1, Overhung Load 300 Lb, Full Load Torque 600 In-Lbs, 60 Hz, Open Dripproof, Ambient 40 C, Thermal Protection None, Insulation Class B, Split-Phase Motor Type, Rotation CW/CCW

DAYTON 1LPN7 GEARMOTOR

AC Gearmotor, Parallel Shaft, Single Output Shaft, Nameplate RPM 2, Input HP 1/10, Gear Ratio 750:1, Voltage Rating 115, Full Load Amps 2.6, Overhung Load 150 Lb, Full Load Torque 113 In-Lbs, 60 Hz, Open Fan-Cooled, Ambient 40 C, Thermal Protection None, Insulation Class B, Shaded Pole Motor Type, Rotation CW, Power Off Disc Brake Included

#10 - December 27, 2010, 08:47:19 am
AZ BBQ Grills

AZBBQGRILLS

Alright its been a while. Got my trailer found an awesome deal on a trailer with a 3500 pound axle. I posted a new drawing. I have designed it to be either a 5 shelf or 7 shelf. I am going to set the rotisserie to handle both sizes. so you can interchange shelfs. I am going with the smaller of the two motors. You may ask why a 5 or 7 shelf design.  The odd number provides a better balance when rotating which i hope leads to a longer motor life.  I hope to have it done by the end of January. Shel size will be 13 inches in depth by 44 inches in length, for the 5 shelf design. Seven shelfs would result in a 10 inch deep shelf. Thought about adding a water trough to add steam to the smoking chamber.
#11 - January 06, 2011, 08:19:56 pm
AZ BBQ Grills

Soncho

I am just about done with a four shelf model. It works great and cooks evenly. I did the figgering on the math, since four trays provide even offset for the weight of the exact opposite side, i went with four trays. However mine is powered by 12 volt power and is completely independent of AC power so I was tring to minimize the effort the motor needed to provide. They are all kinds of cool and real crowd pleasers.  ;D
#12 - January 16, 2011, 05:28:18 pm

AZBBQGRILLS

Glad to hear that worked out for you. That what I figured too, that 4 shelves would balance fine. However, after an engineer friend explained to me the way 5 shelves would balance better I was still not a believer. I finally went to Hobarts website after another friend that worked on Hobarts equipment for 20 years said that he never worked on a even shelf rotisserie. So I looked and they only have 5, 7,  shelf models. Since they have been in the mfg business for years, thought how could I go wrong. I have it all planed out just working on some details and will be building soon. I bought a 2500 GVWR trailer to put it on. Have two more grills to build then I can get started. What size shelf did you end up with. Your motor is a 12v. What is the max amount of meat that you can put on it. I am trying to get around 150 to 200 pounds if not more.
#13 - January 18, 2011, 08:58:45 pm
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:27:53 pm by AZBBQGRILLS »
AZ BBQ Grills

Smokin' Kelley

wow this sounds pretty cool, sounds like you have done your home work look forward to see it in action. still working on mine, down to details now main stuff done, good luck.
#14 - January 21, 2011, 07:34:28 am

jim

I have 5 shelves 4 ft X 15" -- balances well
#15 - January 21, 2011, 10:29:55 am

Members: