AZ Barbeque.com

Vinegar Sauce (originally posted by azkitch on 1/14/10)

Discussion started on

Crash

Vinegar Sauce

2 cups cider vinegar
       1 1/3 cups water
        1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup*
        1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
       5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
       4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
       1 teaspoon black pepper
       1 teaspoon white pepper

Combine all ingredients in bowl and whisk until salt and sugar dissolve. Taste and add more salt or sugar if necessary. Toss sauce with shredded pork before serving. Offer more sauce at table. Makes about 4 cups.

*Note: This is a "western" North Carolina-style vinegar sauce. To make an eastern-style sauce, omit the ketchup and all or part of the brown sugar.

I'm not even sure where I got this one...

And another:
Holy Smoke Basting Sauce
This is a good, simple basting sauce or mop, for large cuts of meat. If you don't need this much, cut the recipe down by half.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:
    * 1 gallon apple cider vinegar
    * 1 quart Worcestershire sauce
    * 10 ounces lemon juice
    * 3 tablespoons black pepper
Preparation:
Mix all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a hard boil for ten minutes. This is an old fashioned, true Southern Style basting sauce, excellent on chicken and large cuts of pork (Boston butt, shoulders, hams, whole hog, pork roasts,. etc.) The meat should be cooked over a slow fire (200-210 degrees F) and basted every 20-30 minutes (not during last hour for large pieces of meat).

and another:
The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever 'Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

If you've never done Pulled Pork with a "Finishing Sauce" before, you're in for a real treat!!!! It's the secret ingredient that alot of Quer's don't know about, and part of the reason people at my 'Q Parties say "they've never had Pulled Pork that tasted this good, before!".
#1 - January 14, 2010, 04:13:58 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

PAT YOUNG

FINALLY, somebody in AZ that knows what pulled pork and vinegar do together!!! When we test our pulled pork on white bread right as we pull it ,we add a little vinegar sauce or a squirt or two of Louisiana hot sauce/Texas Pete.etc.  just to get the wonderful combo flavor!!! The k.i.s.s. method works best!!!
#2 - January 15, 2010, 03:21:35 am

Members: