AZ Barbeque.com

Must have list of spices...

Discussion started on

ShermanBBQ

I've been looking for a must have list of herbs and spices to use but am finding it hard to come by.  My wife and I are big into food storage and this is the next item up.  Any takers?  I'm not looking for bare minimum, we have that, I want to have a good list of herbs and spices that will continue to make BBQ and cooking fun.

Thanks!

#1 - October 29, 2011, 03:07:57 pm

RBChallenger

Seasonings:
Paprika, New Mexico Red Chile Powder, Cayenne, Black Pepper (ground and fresh.. I actually really like the McCormick Peppercorn Medley), garlic powder, garlic salt, dried minced garlic, kosher salt, sea salt, table salt, red pepper flakes, mustard powder, brown sugar, white sugar, turbanado sugar, Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (use like salt)

Herbs and Stuff:
Basil, Dill, Bay Leaves, Oregano, Sage, Parsley, Rosemary, White onions (the flatter the better), Fresh Garlic, Hatch Green Chiles, flour, corn meal, corn flour, tea bags (or tea in general I guess)

Other:
Bacon, Hatch Green Chiles, Bacon, Garlic, Bacon, White Onions (the flatter the better), Bacon, Red Onions, Bacon, Oranges, Bacon, Lemons, Limes, Bacon, Molasses, Bacon, Real Maple Syrup, Bacon, Captain Morgan's Rum, Bacon, Jack Daniels or Jim Beam Whiskey Bacon, Beer (Lagers mostly for cooking), Bacon, Red Wine, Bacon, White Wine (something sweet), Bacon

I'm sure that I left stuff out, don't forget to add bacon to the list somewhere...

#2 - November 05, 2011, 11:17:15 am
Regards,
Rich

IRONHORSE BBQ

Bacon, Hatch Green Chiles, Bacon, Garlic, Bacon, White Onions (the flatter the better), Bacon, Red Onions, Bacon, Oranges, Bacon, Lemons, Limes, Bacon, Molasses, Bacon, Real Maple Syrup, Bacon, Captain Morgan's Rum, Bacon, Jack Daniels or Jim Beam Whiskey Bacon, Beer (Lagers mostly for cooking), Bacon, Red Wine, Bacon, White Wine (something sweet), Bacon

I'm sure that I left stuff out, don't forget to add bacon to the list somewhere...

[/quote]
Yes but i did enjoy the BACON,BACON,BACON,BACON,BACON,BACON,BACON and oh yes the BACON.
#3 - November 05, 2011, 12:37:02 pm

Mark

#4 - November 05, 2011, 05:23:38 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

I believe it's Elizabeth Carmel who lists an assortment of spices in one section of one of her books, suggesting what to try in rubs. If I get a minute someday, I'll check on it!
Penzey's spices has 2 really impressive spice stores here in town, one at Tatum and Shea, the other in Tempe. Go to their website to look at a variety of names of spices you may not have heard of.
I have Tony Chachere's Spice 'n' Herbs seasoning, not as harsh as his original Creole.
Did they mention Habanero? Or Bacon?
#5 - November 05, 2011, 09:44:38 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

ShermanBBQ

Thanks, I'm sure this will more than get me started.  Appreciate all of you taking the time to help out a newcomer!
#6 - November 25, 2011, 10:46:14 pm

bearbonez

Are you looking for just traditional bbq spices? or also for grilling? International flavors?

One thing I would add to bbq is celery seed or celery salt and cumin. I also keep on hand allspice, coriander, tumeric, marjoram, savory, chervil, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, juniper berries, kafir lime leaves, beef, chicken, chicken/tomato and veg bullion or soup base. madras curry powder, garam masala, star anise, five spice, fennel seed, fenugreek. Dried NM, de arbol, chipotle, and pasilla chiles for grinding.  I also have cavender's greek seasoning and morton's nature's seasons seasoning salt in addition to the tony's and lawry's (generic sam's version). Also an array of hot sauces both foreign and domestic.
#7 - March 08, 2012, 06:18:12 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

tbonejc

You said you were real big in food storage.  Are you wanting to keep spices for long periods of time in storage?  If so I recommend keeping as many whole spices as you can, peppercorns, allspice berries, coriander seeds, etc.  Grounds spices lose intensity after some time and won't be as good later.
#8 - March 12, 2012, 08:30:08 am

Mark

I recommend exploring ethnic groceries. Almost every culture puts meat to fire. At Asian markets you'll find Korean BBQ sauces and marinades, Thai sweet chile sauce, Hawaiian BBQ rubs, Chinese char sui for bright red ribs and pork, plus Japanese teriyaki. Hispanic markets carry Mexican rubs for meat and poultry and Cuban mojo criollo marinades, not to mention a wide variety of dried chiles. Middle eastern markets have shawarma seasoning to make kebabs and killer spicy harissa paste. Indian markets have tandoor spices perfect for BBQ, not to mention great flatbread to wrap them meat in to eat! German markets carry curry ketchup that's great on any kind of sausages which you can also buy there. The list goes on and on. You just have to step outside your comfort zone and explore something new. It's a great big world out there. Eat it! ;D
#9 - March 12, 2012, 11:48:51 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

bucaguy

cardamom and White pepper
#10 - March 12, 2012, 06:39:29 pm
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

Members: