Discussion started on

AzQer

I like Paul Kirks Book very good
#16 - September 20, 2009, 09:06:09 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

azkitch

There are too many different ketchups, and I hate it so much, I'm gonna have to find a way to get around it...tomato paste, canned diced tOmatoes, cooking fresh ones down, whatever it takes!!! DOWN WITH KETCHUP, THE SCOURGE OF AMERICAN "CUISINE". I've always felt that one could open an "American" cuisine restaurant, and just serve bad frozen TVDs covered with ketchup. I feel like that's what the Europeans think of us...

(Oh Lordy Lordy, Dave needs some help...)

First the ketchup and pickles thing. Then the traffic thing. Now I'm off on ketchup again. If anyone has a suggestion for a good Dr.--German accent preferred...
#17 - September 20, 2009, 03:31:13 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzJohnnyC

Picked up The Barbecue Bible the other day. Decent book. Just got a copy of BBQ Sauces, Rubs & Marinades For Dummies today. Quite informative. It describes what the basic elements of the recipe formulas are, as well as some good discussion on general BBQ information. Check it out sometime if you haven't already. Definitely recommended for all.
#18 - September 27, 2009, 10:24:01 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

bbqphx.com

Practice, practice, practice.  And you'll throw out a lot of stuff, but eventually you'll find your path.  I'm still searching btw  ;D
#19 - September 27, 2009, 07:16:01 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

jmcrig

Here are four books that will probably give you more information than you want on rubs and sauces.

#20 - September 27, 2009, 07:51:14 pm

Tek465

My favorite go to book is "Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures and Glazes, by Jim Tarantino"

It explained a lot to me why this or that works in a recipe. The Apple Cider brine makes the best T-day turkey.
#21 - September 28, 2009, 11:18:50 am

jmcrig

Wow, I thought there was a book out there I didn't have as I didn't recognize the title. A quick trip to the bookcase, and alas, it was there. A very good resource. It should have been included in my first post.

#22 - September 28, 2009, 11:38:10 am

Mark

That's probably a better read than his brother's book: "BBQ Mops Made With Bodily Fluids" by Quentin Tarantino. ???
#23 - September 28, 2009, 01:05:14 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

jmcrig

Don't think I've seen Quentin's book. Do they have it on Amazon?
#24 - September 28, 2009, 01:30:08 pm

jmcrig

There is one more book that is very good, especially with the trend towards apple currently.

#25 - September 28, 2009, 03:47:17 pm

azkitch

I'm happy to say that I just bought my library copy of PL&B. I took it back, and showed it to the librarian, the pages that were falling out, the fact that it was 3 years old. She took it out of inventory, and had me donate to the black lock box. IT'S MINE--ALL MINE!!
#26 - September 29, 2009, 03:01:37 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jmcrig

And I bet the donation was worth it.
#27 - September 29, 2009, 07:17:21 am

RobOConnell

I'm happy to say that I just bought my library copy of PL&B. I took it back, and showed it to the librarian, the pages that were falling out, the fact that it was 3 years old. She took it out of inventory, and had me donate to the black lock box. IT'S MINE--ALL MINE!!

You mean you finally took it back...  :laugh: Hell, after all this time, the pages should be stuck together too...  :laugh: :laugh: Seriously Dave, great to hear. I should get me one of those too.
#28 - September 29, 2009, 08:08:16 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

PAT YOUNG

GOOD one MARK!!!!!
#29 - October 01, 2009, 02:37:01 am

azkitch

You mean you finally took it back...  :laugh: Hell, after all this time, the pages should be stuck together too...
molasses...
#30 - October 05, 2009, 09:10:51 pm
CBJ # 53779

Members: