AZ Barbeque.com

Famous Dave's Devil's Spit

Discussion started on

Jackkyl

Ok, so this stuff is store bought, but I experimented with it over labor day.  I like it...a lot. My question is (maybe kitch can help, being the all-things-hot go to guy) what is the spice that makes this stuff hot?  The list of ingredients does not include a chili or spice specific except mustard seed(?).  Would mustard seed carry that kind of bite?  The learning....
#1 - September 05, 2012, 04:06:31 pm

Mark

It's my kid's favorite, too. Mustard seed can give spicy heat, but not like chile heat. I remember reading that Dave might use chipotles to give it smokey chile flavor, but I can't swear to it.
#2 - September 05, 2012, 09:35:22 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Bill Bain

Dry mustard is sometimes used as a substitute for wasabi.  Don't ask how I found this out.  LOL
#3 - September 17, 2012, 08:15:46 am
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

AzScott

There are certain items that need to be listed while other spices do not.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a mix of chili's or extracts in that sauce.
#4 - September 17, 2012, 09:55:20 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

shortbus_35

PREMIUM INGREDIENTS: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Tomato Paste, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Molasses, Salt, Honey, Soybean Oil, Natural Smoke Flavor, Spices, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Onion Powder, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Mustard Bran, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Garlic Powder, Caramel Color, Turmeric. Contains Soy and Wheat.

The fact that they only list a generic "Spices" on the list of ingredients means I would probably agree with what AZScott said - "Proprietary Blend" is another generic term the FDA allows for as well.
#5 - September 19, 2012, 01:18:44 pm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:21:45 pm by shortbus_35 »

AzScott

From the FDA's site:

Do you have to parenthetically declare all of the ingredients in flavors that conform to a standard of identity?

Answer: If the flavor is declared by the standardized name (eg. vanilla extract), each ingredient must also be declared parenthetically following the standardized name. However, the standardized flavor may simply be declared as flavoring, natural flavoring, artificial flavoring, as appropriate. 21 CFR 101.22(i) and 21 CFR 169
#6 - September 19, 2012, 09:15:15 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Members: