AZ Barbeque.com

Chili''s KC Rub Baby Backs

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

So awhile back the family and I were at Chili's and my little boy got the kids plate w/ the KC rub dry ribs. I gotta say that all n all it wasn't bad. Now the rub, I thought was actually real good. I've never made dry ribs, in that it doesn't appear to have had any mop or sauces during cooking. Anyone had these? Maybe someone has tips on how to prepare and smoke dry ribs w/ a nice seasoned crust?
#1 - February 04, 2010, 07:57:16 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

AzJohnnyC

Rub them, smoke them, when they're done, pull them off, hit them with the rub again and let them rest before cutting them apart. Done right, I sometimes prefer them dry.
#2 - February 04, 2010, 07:52:48 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

kckid5az

I do "dry" ribs quite often, but it is funny for Chili's to call them "KC Ribs".  As a KC native I can assure you that it is rare to find "dry" BBQ of any kind...especially ribs in KC.  Now that being said, I'm a strong believer in a good rub and meat smoked well as being the recipe for perfect BBQ.  However, I do love a good sauce!
#3 - February 04, 2010, 11:31:05 pm
Owner/Operator of "The Good Times BBQ Company" Catering Company
www.thegoodtimesbbqcompany.com
Pitmaster of "The Good Times BBQ Company" Competition Team (w/ Todd Selman & Robert Allen)
LANG 84-20 ft. Trailerzilla (plus 7 other misc. smokers & grills at home!)
BBQ IS MY LIFE!!!

PAT YOUNG

Ever since my son and wife had their 1st dry ribs about 15 years ago, they were hooked!!! JEREMY was only about 10 at the time but he still cooks them that way!!There one of my favorites too!!!
#4 - February 05, 2010, 04:35:07 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I too have had some great dry rub ribs.  Actually the best ribs I ever had were dry rub ones.  Just have to find the right rub..  ;)
#5 - February 05, 2010, 04:44:29 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AzJohnnyC

Good point, dry ribs are more of a Memphis thing. Wonder what makes them KC style?
#6 - February 05, 2010, 07:22:28 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

PAT YOUNG

LOT'S of the right sauce!!
#7 - February 05, 2010, 08:14:10 pm

desertdog

Its all about the marketing.  Most people know that KC = BBQ, they just don't know why. Put Kansas City and BBQ together in the title and the masses will come.  Funny thing is, once they have had the ribs (and assuming they like what they ate) they will tell everyone that their favorite type of rib is KC dry rub style!
#8 - February 06, 2010, 04:38:38 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Mark

I do like dry-rub ribs. My favorite commercial ones are from Sticky Fingers in Chattanooga. It is interesting to note that I have never seen dry-rubbed ribs turned in at a KCBS competition.
#9 - February 06, 2010, 10:34:33 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AZWildcat

Anybody have a good recipe or brand of rub for dry ribs?
#10 - February 06, 2010, 02:07:25 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

BERNIETHEK

DDOG has great rubs and can be purchased at BBQ Island in Tempe.
#11 - February 06, 2010, 03:09:49 pm
BERNIE

Smoker Man

I prefer dry ribs.  I like to add yellow mustard to the ribs then the rub so it will stick. I played with other glues as I blended some strawberry jam with vinegar and a bit of pineapple juice and mustard and put that on the ribs for an hour or two prior to adding the rub and then smoking.  Was tasty, but I'm not that much into sweet. Made the ribs sticky yet crunchy.  smoke still got through it all. 
#12 - August 24, 2010, 05:12:22 am

Mark

Here's the recipe for the most famous dry ribs in America...Charlies Vergos' Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/562/Charlie-Vergos-Rendezvous-Wor77182.shtml
#13 - August 24, 2010, 08:05:05 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Smoker Man

Over Labor day Frys had  Baby Backs for $1.97 a pound.  They had loads.  Limit was 4 for that price, regular price was $4.99.  I've had meatier but these were GOOD.  I ended up with 52 racks of ribs!!  Just filled up the cart and swiped my membership card for each 4 and paid each time.  Filled up my extra freezer with them.   My favorite is baby backs (don't like spare ribs at all, too stringy).  As it cools down I'm smoking, man.  ribs...lots of ribs, gonna empty that freezer and eat all winter long.

#14 - September 14, 2010, 02:13:50 am

Members: