AZ Barbeque.com

BBQ Sauce Recipe

Discussion started on

smitty250

Does anyone have a good recipe for BBQ Sauce? I have tried pretty much everything in the store and I don't like that they are all really thick. Being from the south I am used to the thinner type BBQ Sauce but I don't have a good recipe. Thanks for your help.

-Smitty
#1 - July 03, 2009, 09:13:57 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Lizard333

Doesn't look like your going to get much support on this one.....  I personally like to keep a lid on my BBQ sauce recipes, as they are some money makers....
Do you like a molasses based, mustard based, vinegar based??  I personally go for a molasses based, and used to use KC Masterpiece for a number of years.  Sweet baby rays was one of my favorites as well.  If they are two thick for you can always save some of the juices while cooking and add them to your sauce.  I do this with my own BBQ sauce anyways, just to marry the flavors to what I am cooking.  I will collect the juices and and put them in a gravy separator and just use the lip smacking goodness at the bottom of the collected liquid, as the fat is going to float to the top. 

Just my two cents........  Felt bad nobody was helping you out............
#2 - July 11, 2009, 05:59:13 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I know that Bear posted either some recipes or links to them a few years ago.  You might do a search for Sauce and see what shows up...  ;)
#3 - July 11, 2009, 06:00:57 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Cornbred

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

P.S. My rubs are low salt.
This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve Petrone, July 24, 2007 05:23 AM July 24, 2007 05:23 AM

Peach Kissed Q
Got this off the Virtualweberbullet site... could be a good start. pretty tasty. Experiment with other stuff.
#4 - July 11, 2009, 09:50:28 am

azkitch

Public Library--I keep gettin' out the various Q cookbooks. I know what ya mean about thick. I suddenly like my sauce a bit thinner, but love Sweet Baby Rays. I just water it down. And Cattlemans & Stubbs. My problem is I object to ketchup, and 75% of the recipes start with "Satan's Syrup"...Ketchup was invented to cover the foul taste of rotting meat...
I thought I heard that somewhere, perhaps at the Home Depot hot dog cart.* I like to repeat it even if it's a lie!

*Guy has a sign sayin' ketchup on your dog, $100. He doesn't like it either!
#5 - July 11, 2009, 05:13:49 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

bearbonez

I'll just wing one...I am tired and i don't measure so here goes.

1c apple cider vinegar
1 beer (something with flavor and body)
1 16 oz can crushed tomato
1/4 c molasses
1 tsp celery seed
1 tbsp italian seasoning (grind in a coffee grinder to make fine powder)
1 good sized shallot fine minced
4 cloves garlic fine minced (can run shallot and garlic in a food processor)
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp black pepper

get a couple tablespoons of butter melted over med heat and add garlic and shallot. add liquid and bring to a boil. add rest of ingredients. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a couple hours.
For better flavor, use whole spices and toast in a dry pan and then grind in a coffee grinder.

If ya want to go crazy and make a meat specific sauce, you could also make a stock. Roast bones in an oven till browned, toss in a pan, add a couple tbsp of tomato paste and constant stir till tomato caramelizes. and a mirou piox (diced onion, carrot, and celery) and sweat it down, add water to cover and season with salt and pepper. cover and let boil a couple hours.
#6 - July 11, 2009, 11:34:27 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Cornbred

Doesn't look like your going to get much support on this one.....  I personally like to keep a lid on my BBQ sauce recipes, as they are some money makers...

Are your sauces for sale... always down to try a new sauce!!!
#7 - July 12, 2009, 04:35:35 am

smitty250

Thanks everyone for some insight on this. I have been using Sweet baby Rays but this weekend I bought some Stubbs BBQ sauce. I like the taste and sweetness of SBR's but I like the consisitency of Stubbs. I smoked a pork shoulder and brisket flat yesterday and they turned out pretty damn good. The Stubbs was pretty good but I think I will try saving some juice and mixing it with SBR's.

Thanks again.
#8 - July 13, 2009, 08:45:15 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ

blakesbbq

Nothing beats homemade, try making your own with your tast in mine, its not that hard, few ingrediens , spices,  alittle time and you will have youself a sauce, then tweek it till you love it.  :)
#9 - July 13, 2009, 09:46:05 am
later gator

jmcrig

Here's something I found on the internet:

Southern Barbecue Sauce
User Rating (2 Reviews) Write a Review
By Diana Rattray, About.com
Use this barbecue sauce on ribs, chops, steaks, or burgers.
Ingredients:
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Makes about 1
cup of barbecue sauce, for ribs, pork chops, burgers, steaks, or wieners. For oven barbecued ribs, baste
during last hours of baking.
#10 - July 13, 2009, 06:03:45 pm

smitty250

Here's something I found on the internet:

Southern Barbecue Sauce
User Rating (2 Reviews) Write a Review
By Diana Rattray, About.com
Use this barbecue sauce on ribs, chops, steaks, or burgers.
Ingredients:
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Makes about 1
cup of barbecue sauce, for ribs, pork chops, burgers, steaks, or wieners. For oven barbecued ribs, baste
during last hours of baking.

Your recipe got cut off. It doesn't say what the ingredients are.
#11 - July 14, 2009, 01:06:46 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ

Jaybird

Your recipe got cut off. It doesn't say what the ingredients are.

Must be a secret recipe. ;)
#12 - July 14, 2009, 01:11:06 pm

jmcrig

You see now have secret it is. Anyway, sorry about that. I'll try it as an attachment.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#13 - July 14, 2009, 02:08:29 pm

smitty250

Got it - Thanks. I might try this out this weekend.
#14 - July 14, 2009, 02:16:59 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ

Lizard333

You know i was hesitant to try and make my own for a number of years....  I guess I was just afraid that I couldn;t make a really good BBQ sauce on my own.  After reading through a number of cook books and checking out the recipies I just went for it.  I only added stuff that I liked, so it went rather well.  If you are going to try making your own, you might want to add your ingrediants over an instant readout scale.  Mine is digital like the one Alton Brown has on his show.  I just started adding my stuff and kept a log.  My luck I got it right on the first try and will NEVER go back to the bottled stuff again.  We spend a lot of time on perfecting our meats and getting them perfect, why not spend the time and make your own sauce??  I have three types, sweet, mild and hot.  The sweet I mainly use on my ribs.  The other two I offer to people that feel the need to sauce there meat.  I personally never like BBQ sauce on my meat until I made my own.  Now, a little dab of the hot, a little is all you need (no point in calling it hot if you don't need some ice cream the next morning), and the pulled pork and brisket is awsome.  Give it a try.  I regret not trying to make my own sauce a long time ago.  Then you can make it as thick or as thin as you want.

Public Library--I keep gettin' out the various Q cookbooks. I know what ya mean about thick. I suddenly like my sauce a bit thinner, but love Sweet Baby Rays. I just water it down. And Cattlemans & Stubbs. My problem is I object to ketchup, and 75% of the recipes start with "Satan's Syrup"...Ketchup was invented to cover the foul taste of rotting meat...
I thought I heard that somewhere, perhaps at the Home Depot hot dog cart.* I like to repeat it even if it's a lie!

As far as using Ketchup is concerned, if you are going to be adding tomatoe sauce, sugar, vinegar and other spices, cook for a really long time, using it is only a time saver.  It isn't a base flavor in my sauce, molasses takes that cake, but I use it for the tomato flavor instead of cooking it for hours.  I can make a batch in about 20 minutes instead of a couple of hours doing the same thing.  Just a thought on ketchup.
#15 - July 19, 2009, 03:52:21 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

Members: