AZ Barbeque.com

Safford Results, Recap & Photos

Discussion started on

Crash

Not getting our pork turned in on time s*cked, period. When I saw the wife walking back to the booth with the box still in hand, I thought someone hit me in the heart with a sledgehammer.

Know the feeling and you'll never do it again...guaranteed.  We'll never turn 5 pieces of chicken in again at a KCBS contest....ever!!
#16 - May 30, 2011, 12:37:41 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

seacus

I want to thank BCS and all the teams who came out to compete this weekend.  This was a perfect introduction of BBQ comps to our community, I think everyone had a good time.  And there is a lot of buzz around town about next year!!  BCS thanks for all your hard work!!  We learned so much!!  And I think my VIP judges have been bitten by the bug  ;).  

Congradulations to Hog Pit Smokehouse for their first Grand Champion! It was a pleasure visiting with you,and my husband and I will be heading over to the restaurant on our next trip to Tucson.

Thanks to all the teams for being so gracious.  My husband gleened as much info as he could  ;D :D....  I suspect the smoker he started 3 months ago will be finished pretty soon!  LOL

We want to say a special thank you to all the teams that participated in the PC, especially the teams who cooked extra racks.  Mike, I will take care of you by the end of this week (sorry)  :(

Hopefully me and our inspector will be heading out to some events in other counties to learn as much as we can before our next event.  Thank you all!!

#17 - May 30, 2011, 12:45:39 am

Mike P in Tucson

Royce, SEACUS, and Safford,

Thanks for being such gracious hosts.  We had a great time, in spite of the wind.  This was our first full competition, and we had mixed results.  But we are looking forward to doing it again.

Congrats to Hog Pit Smokehouse and BBQ Castaways on their accomplishments.

Mike P -- 2 Sons BBQ
#18 - May 30, 2011, 08:40:57 am
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

AzQer

WOW what a great time. The wind sucked but hey we gotta cook in all weather. I would like to thank Royce and Seacus for putting on what we hope will become a premier event here in Southern Arizona. The Folks of Safford came out and we hope you had a great time. I would also like to Thank Azbarbeque, The BCS, Mike Nancy Winnie and George for working so hard to make this a great event. Congratulations to BBQ Castaways for there first RGC you guys are awesome. Because this was our first GC I would like to take a second to thank everyone that believed we could do this. Thanks Mike, with out all your wisdom and help and the fuel for my passion and the whole Reimann family for all your support. thanks to Jay and Vince although they may not know it but you guys have set the bar to were I would like to be someday. Thanks to Ted and Cindy for being there from the beginning. And to Tommy and Jen thanks for all the things you tought Dorothy and I you guys are the best. And last and most of all to my wife for with out you none of this would be possible. Thanks to all that has been there and I hope this is the first of many. See yall down the BBQ trail.
#19 - May 30, 2011, 09:52:20 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Thom Emery

Congratulations
These smaller events are really more fun  :)
#20 - May 30, 2011, 10:02:49 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Uzona

Congratulations Mark and Dorothy on your first Grand Championship.      You've worked hard, and it's great to see it starting to pay off for you.  I'm sure there are many more appearances on stage in your future.

This was a fun event and we had a great time.  I concur with all the other comments, the SEACUS team and the folks in Safford were great hosts.  They were genuinely interested in learning what they can do to make the event better.   They took the time to come out and talk to the teams, were receptive to all our suggestions.  I'm not really sure, but something tells me there might be midnight appetizers at next years event.  I'm just saying...   The venue had plenty of space and would have no problem supporting many more teams.  It would be nice to see this event grow and draw more teams next year. 
#21 - May 30, 2011, 01:11:18 pm
Don
BBQ Castaways.

Mike P in Tucson

I forgot to thank the health inspector, too.  This was his first experience with anything like this, and he was doing all he could to learn what it was about and to make sure he didn't come across as a hardass, while still doing his job within the confines of the county regulations.  In talking with him, he seemed very impressed that a bunch of "BBQ Guys" were so aware of the health regulations.

I was surprised at the high turnout and the number of people really chowing down on the PC ribs.  We were sold out early, after 10 racks, and turning people away.  I have no doubt that future events in Safford will bring out even more people, as the word gets around.
#22 - May 30, 2011, 02:49:55 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Grill Sergeant

The BBQ Castaways had a great weekend in Safford thanks to Royce, and all the fine folks from Seacus, the Health inspector (Nice Guy), Mike, Nancy, The BCS, Winnie and George. They really worked hard to make this a great event. Congrats to Mark and Dorothy you guys were great. Good to see that all the hard work is starting to pay off.
The folks from Seacus worked really hard to pull things together when things got tough. They really did listen to the teams in hopes of planning a bigger and better event next year. We will be looking forward to it! It was a pleasure talking with them all.
#23 - May 30, 2011, 06:37:24 pm
Ted
2 Pro Ques
1 UDS
2 Team Traegers
1 Country Smoker 680

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Photos from event..

#24 - May 30, 2011, 07:06:41 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mike (AZBarbeque)

#25 - May 30, 2011, 07:07:22 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Mike (AZBarbeque)

#26 - May 30, 2011, 07:08:03 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Mike (AZBarbeque)

#27 - May 30, 2011, 07:08:39 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Mike (AZBarbeque)

#28 - May 30, 2011, 07:09:03 pm
Michael J. Reimann

145 grill

We had a great time there and I learned alot. I can't wait until next year.

Mike
#29 - May 31, 2011, 10:42:36 am
1-offset stick burner trailer
4-UDS
1-home offset
The hardest thing about smoking meat is keeping it lit.

Members: