AZ Barbeque.com

Linked Events

• BBQ Comp - Safford, AZ: May 27, 2011 - May 28, 2011

BCS BBQ Cook-off in Safford, AZ Memorial Day Weekend, May 27th & 28th, 2011

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Awesome, come on teams, sign up today and make this event a qualifier.  It's going to be a great event..
#91 - May 21, 2011, 12:19:19 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Last chance to register.  Only need a few more teams to make it a qualifier.  Come on out and enjoy a great, low key event and possibly win your first GC & potential invite to the Jack & Royal.

What a great way to enjoy Memorial Day weekend...
#92 - May 22, 2011, 08:20:01 pm
Michael J. Reimann

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

Do you know what the size of our spaces will be?
#93 - May 23, 2011, 10:52:53 am
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

Mike P in Tucson

What I saw was 20' x 40'
#94 - May 23, 2011, 05:17:12 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I talked with Royce today and 30 X 20 spaces are what she is planning on, but with only a handful of teams, I don't think space will be an issue.

Would love to find 4 more teams somewhere and make this a qualifier.

Anyone???
#95 - May 23, 2011, 06:22:15 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Soncho

I talked with Royce today, she is really working hard to make this a good event. I also talked to the health inspector about some of the, kinda strange requirments, he is really trying to learn how this kind of event works. He is following the rules as they are listed here, but seemed willing to learn how other places work. He told me today that he is going to call the Maricopa County health inspector and ask some questions like, can we bring our own spices and rubs premade? He was wanting us to all bring our ingredients in the containers from the store with the reciepts and mix and make them there after we showed him the proof that we did not get them off the ground or what not. I told him that a lot of those rubs and spices were "classified", and he might have to be killed after he saw the list :D. :laugh: He is going to check and see if he will let us bring our own mixes premade? This would only apply to the peoples choice from what I understand. I told him it may cause many to not cook for the pc and he was concered and expressed that he wanted to help this event go well, but still follow the rules he was suposed to enforce. We will see how it goes, but he was very willing to come and inspect my fifthwheel early friday so that I can do my comp food prep inside instead of outside, even though I will have to do pc food prep outside, in the wind and dirt and bugs and what not LOL, and yes he laughed a bit when I said it like that to him too. It should be fun and I look forward to meeting many of you ther. Mike if there is anything I can do to help out on this end, let me know.

Sancho
#96 - May 24, 2011, 09:40:19 am

AZWildcat

Is there a load-in time? Will water and elec for our RV be available once on-site?
#97 - May 24, 2011, 09:59:18 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Soncho

It looks like there will be electric for the first few, water will have to be taken to RVs by jugs but there is water not to far away. lll go out there tomorrow and look to see how close. Worst case you can come out to my house and fill up on your way in. If you are coming to from the Phx area you will go right by my house on the way in. If you want to come over empty and fill here you are welcome. If you are goint to use your RV you will need to be there early in the day friday to get it inspected. He seemed willing to allow us to use them for the comp, but pc will have to be done caveman fashion, outside in the elements.
#98 - May 24, 2011, 10:20:37 am

KidCurry

I hope you all have a great time at this event...a prior commitment is keeping us away but we do wish we could be there!
#99 - May 24, 2011, 12:02:14 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

BrianL

It looks like there will be electric for the first few

Define "few" ...might have some unhappy cookers if few is too few :P
#100 - May 24, 2011, 01:37:22 pm
SQUEAL TEAM SIX
Memphis Advantage
Onyx Oven
22.5" & 18.5" WSM

Mike P in Tucson

So, can we pre-mix our rubs and marinades for our comp meats?  Even for the things I don't have pre-mixed, I'm sure I don't still have the store receipts for everything.  I thought all of that was only for the meats.

Yeah, having no electricity would not be good.
#101 - May 24, 2011, 02:17:58 pm
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:24:12 pm by Mike P in Tucson »
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

AZWildcat

I called them this morning ref the same question. They advised that everyone will have electricity. It will come from the building and not generators, so it will be available to everyone upon arrival. I confirmed this through Mike. I'm not quite sure what that "few" statement means.

As for the "rub" mixture, I have no idea what they are doing. And what is this "getting my RV inspected" thing? Some clarity from SEACUS would be appreciated. It's getting too close to the bbq for ambiguity. This comp seems to be entirely different by re-writing the food prep rules.
#102 - May 24, 2011, 02:29:09 pm
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:32:27 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

seacus

I have spoken to the county regarding the electricity.  They will be running cords to the comp area so electricity will be available.  We also asked that no one pull more than 30 amps (please refer to #9 the "rules and information" packet). 

As far as the rubs are concerned, we have already worked that out with the health department.  I will double check with him, and post clarification tomorrow.  Our committee is primarily responsible for making sure the food served to the public is safe, and I don't forsee this being an issue. 

If anyone has any questions and/or concerns, please call us at 928-428-3229, ask to speak to Royce.

I hope this clarifies things.  Thank you all for your participation
#103 - May 24, 2011, 03:39:29 pm

Crash

He was wanting us to all bring our ingredients in the containers from the store with the reciepts and mix and make them there after we showed him the proof that we did not get them off the ground or what not. I told him that a lot of those rubs and spices were "classified", and he might have to be killed after he saw the list :D. :laugh: He is going to check and see if he will let us bring our own mixes premade?
::) I know what I'd do.  I'd red cup it.
#104 - May 24, 2011, 07:24:07 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

BrianL

::) I know what I'd do.  I'd red cup it.

Red cups are the new duct tape, huh?
#105 - May 24, 2011, 08:13:09 pm
SQUEAL TEAM SIX
Memphis Advantage
Onyx Oven
22.5" & 18.5" WSM

Members: