AZ Barbeque.com

Three turkeys?

Discussion started on

Mr.Bo

Has anyone ever smoked three turkeys at the same time on the Pro Q?
#1 - November 10, 2010, 07:53:02 pm
BBQ Grillware vertical gas smoker
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

DanMan

I am wondering that as well!
#2 - November 10, 2010, 08:18:26 pm

Thom Emery

3 at one time?
PICTURES PLEASE  :)
#3 - November 10, 2010, 08:28:33 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Mr.Bo

If I end up doing this I'll use the third stacker but sure would like to hear some tips from those who might have done it before. I expect to rotate the birds from top to bottom during the cook but I'm curious about fuel consumption and duration of temps holding.
#4 - November 10, 2010, 08:56:19 pm
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

RudedoggAZ

My .2 I think u will be good as long as u have a good/full fire... u will lose some heat by rotating the stackers but control the heat by the vents and maybe add some fuel midway through. Depending on the size of the birds, it will probably take longer than 8 hrs so be prepared to add more and adjust for the heat up time. Good luck! Looking fwd to the pics
#5 - November 10, 2010, 10:50:12 pm

Mr.Bo

Pics will be posted if I do the three birds. A coup;e of friends want me to do their turkeys but only one has cleared it with his wife. As far as the rotation, I figure about 1/2 way through the cook I'll switch the top and bottom racks to even out the cook times on those two. The center rack will be as is all the way.
#6 - November 11, 2010, 08:33:42 pm
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Skouson

#7 - November 16, 2010, 04:36:03 pm
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

barbedQ

I cook big loads on mine all the time with all three stackers, 3 6lb butts on each.  Don't know why turkeys would be any different.

I would like to point out that unless you cook without the water pan in place you won't be able to rotate the lowest stack.  You'll have to move the grate.

By the way, we cooked 2 spatchcocked turkeys recently and by using a cookie cooling rack on top of the top grate (1 stacks)we cooked 2 turkeys on one stacker at 325 and I never touched a vent after I loaded the birds.
#8 - November 16, 2010, 06:23:17 pm
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

Mr.Bo

It didn't work out for me. I had two turkeys totaling 36# and a 10 # ham and could never get the temp above 200. Faced with a time crunch, I fired up the WSM and moved the ham to it. Once it was done I moved one of the turkeys over there. Both smokers rocked along at 250 to 275 after removing one stacker. The water pan was used but only had foil balls in it and it was covered with foil. Everything was done on time and my first brined turkeys were tasty and real moist.
#9 - November 27, 2010, 07:40:51 am
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

I just smoked one 20lb turkey in my new ProQ and it turned out great. This was the first turkey I have ever smoked. It was hard to keep the temp up over the 250 mark. I only used the first stacker. Can anyone tell me if the temps would of been easier to keep higher if I had the second stacker on to build up more airflow?
#10 - November 27, 2010, 09:00:36 am
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

KidCurry

Not in my experience....lump can help get up over 300. Also I have found that raising the fire grate a little for more air flow Under the coals can help also..
#11 - November 27, 2010, 11:21:42 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

skou

It didn't work out for me. I had two turkeys totaling 36# and a 10 # ham and could never get the temp above 200. Faced with a time crunch, I fired up the WSM and moved the ham to it. Once it was done I moved one of the turkeys over there. Both smokers rocked along at 250 to 275 after removing one stacker. The water pan was used but only had foil balls in it and it was covered with foil. Everything was done on time and my first brined turkeys were tasty and real moist.

Bo, I had the same issue with the experience that Sterling referred to.  My ProQ just never got up to temps.

ONe day, we were cooking something over at Sterling's (he's my brother) house, on his ProQ.  IT wouldn't get up to temps, either.  We were working on one of his UDSs, and when we were done, we pulled the charcoal basket out of the ProQ, put it in the UDS, and got the temps we needed.

Surprising, (not really) Sterling and I no longer have ProQ smokers.  The UDSs are just that much better.

steve
#12 - November 12, 2011, 01:06:55 am
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Crash

It's not the Pro Q..... I guarantee that. 

How hot is your fuel source, how much fuel are you using, what kind of fuel are you using, are you using any liquid in the water pan (if you are, don't), how many stackers are you using, what are your lower and upper vent settings set at, what is the grate level temp?  Answers to these questions will help figure out your issues.

Stackers, liquid in water pan and/or fuel load will be where you should find the issue.

We love our UDS's...but dial in a Pro Q and you can make magic.
#13 - November 12, 2011, 03:09:26 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

RudedoggAZ

Love my ProQ.... First smoker I bought and still cooking on it for comps
#14 - November 12, 2011, 12:02:31 pm

Members: