AZ Barbeque.com

Thermometer ports on Pro Q

Discussion started on

c5rulz

I just tried out my new Maverick ET-73 after the suggestion of you guys. >:D

It's a pretty neat gadget. 8)

However I see witht he crimps on the probe where it goes into the braided metal cable don't quite fit through the hole.  So what do you suggest, drill the holes bigger? :question:

For the time being I ran it through the vent holes in the top.

How far does the smoker temp probe need to be inside the smoker? it does register sticking it in as far as the crimp.

One more thing, how much difference do you normally see between the lower grate and the top?

Thanks, Ron

No snow yet in WI.
#1 - December 02, 2009, 09:21:21 am

AzJohnnyC

I run my smoker probe into the eyelet until it bottoms out on the crimp, and the food probe in through the door.
#2 - December 02, 2009, 12:29:26 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Crash

I run my smoker probe into the eyelet until it bottoms out on the crimp, and the food probe in through the door.
Same here....works great.
#3 - December 02, 2009, 02:18:51 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AzJohnnyC

On your other question, I think I've noticed an average of about twenty degrees between the top and bottom grates. Assuming you're cooking on an Excel 20 with two stackers. Crash, I think, has done more extensive tests on this though.
#4 - December 02, 2009, 02:26:23 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

RudedoggAZ

Has anyone heard of a stoker for a ProQ?
#5 - December 02, 2009, 07:37:56 pm

Crash

Has anyone heard of a stoker for a ProQ?

I think Mark with Smith Family Robinson uses one.....or maybe it's the Guru.  I cant rememeber.

Anyways, either one of them should hook up to a Pro Q just as easily as they do to a WSM.
#6 - December 02, 2009, 07:50:58 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Uzona

My original ET-73 that I bought several years ago fits through the port just fine.   I was surprised when I bought a new ET-73 that the crimp was bigger and it didn't fit through the port.

I did a cook a couple weeks ago and measured temps at both levels.   At the start of the cook there was a 50 degree difference between the grates.  Once my meats started coming up to temperature (140) there was only about a 10 degree difference between the grates.

I think next time I'm cooking on a single rack I'll conduct an experiment to see how big a temp difference there is between measuring temp at the port and measuring in the center of the grate.
#7 - December 02, 2009, 08:33:42 pm
Don
BBQ Castaways.

Crash

I know that there is a post on here that details the temp differences between the levels.  I looked around and couldnt find it.  Johnny is right though, temps seem to vary by roughly 20ish degrees per level with the lower levels being hotter.
#8 - December 02, 2009, 08:50:21 pm
VRM Pit Crew

KidCurry

For a two stacker cook we've found that the Pro Q E20 lid thermo is about 10-20 degrees lower than the grate that is immediately under it.  We've noticed that the temp is 30-40 higher on the lower grate as compared to the E20 thermo.

Example from today's 2 stacker cook:
E20 thermo reads 290
top grate level temp 307
bottom grate level 325

Those eyelets at each grate level on the Excel 20 are awesome.
#9 - December 02, 2009, 09:49:13 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

c5rulz

Thanks for all the input guys. ^-^

It makes sense now, what I thought were  temp. problems with not enough heat actually are probably differences from just relying soley on the indicator in the top of the lid.
#10 - December 03, 2009, 06:24:24 am

skou

However I see witht he crimps on the probe where it goes into the braided metal cable don't quite fit through the hole.  So what do you suggest, drill the holes bigger? :question:

Ron, I sanded off the edges of the crimps, until the probes fit through the holes.  Works just fine for me.

Guys, do all the eyelets go through the bolts holding the bracket for the grill and water pan?  All of mine do.

steve
#11 - December 03, 2009, 01:48:30 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

AzJohnnyC

Mine do as well.
#12 - December 03, 2009, 02:48:26 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Crash

It makes sense now, what I thought were  temp. problems with not enough heat actually are probably differences from just relying soley on the indicator in the top of the lid.

I definitely wouldn't trust that thermo on top of your cooker.  Stick with your temp reading at each grate level and you'll be fine.
#13 - December 03, 2009, 04:43:41 pm
VRM Pit Crew

c5rulz

I definitely wouldn't trust that thermo on top of your cooker.  Stick with your temp reading at each grate level and you'll be fine.

Crash you are 100 % right as regarding the thermometer in the lid compared to the ET-73.  The other day I was smoking some salmon and it was uncommon for the lid to be off 75-100 less than the probe in the bottom port.

Ron
#14 - December 30, 2009, 08:04:09 am

DanMan

I think next time I'm cooking on a single rack I'll conduct an experiment to see how big a temp difference there is between measuring temp at the port and measuring in the center of the grate.
I would like to know the answer to this question as well.  I do not have a cook planned for awhile.  Lots of leftovers to eat.
#15 - November 29, 2010, 05:30:29 pm

Members: