AZ Barbeque.com

Temp issues

Discussion started on

Mr.Bo

I loaded the new Pro Q with almost 20# of K then added a full chimney of hot coals last night. Water pan was less that 1/2 full of hot tap water and about 2 quarts of boiling water. Bottom vents were wide open as was the top but it never got above 200. When I got up this morning, the fuel was nearly gone so I dumped the ashes and added 3/4 of a bag of K and left for the parade. When I got home about noon, the temp was about 225 (water pan was dry) and it was time to add the yard bird and fatty to the top rack. Added more hot water and after 2 1/2 hours the temp is still about 175. Any ideas?
I hope Safeway has some lumpor I may have to finish the butt in the oven.
#1 - July 04, 2009, 02:28:12 pm
BBQ Grillware vertical gas smoker
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Crash

How many stackers were you using?

Try a good quality lump and dont put too much water in the water pan (if any at all).
#2 - July 04, 2009, 02:30:41 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mr.Bo

Just two stackers Crash. Safeway had no lump so I just got back and pulled the water pan. Temps jumped up to 250 and leveled off after I adjusted the bottom vents.
It's just like any other smoker. There's a learning curve.
#3 - July 04, 2009, 03:15:18 pm
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

mullet83

I have had mine stuck at 225 for almost 12 hours now. I added coals one time but other than that it has been great. I keep the water pan about half way full and the vents3/4 open.
#4 - July 04, 2009, 03:52:32 pm
Horseshoes and barbecues

Quiggs

Hey Mr Bo after seeing your photo in the other thread (with hot coals on one side and cold on the other), you may want to try the Minion Method (hot coals in the center surounded by cold brickets) for charcoal set up.  It works very well for my WSM's and seems to give even temps.

#5 - July 04, 2009, 05:39:02 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

Mr.Bo

Thanks for the tips folks. Learning curve initiated!
#6 - July 04, 2009, 09:43:42 pm
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Members: