AZ Barbeque.com

ProQ Frontier

Discussion started on

DesertRat

Assembled my new Frontier tonight. Any advice specific to this model or will everything recommended for the Excel20 apply to the Frontier as well?

#1 - March 27, 2010, 09:40:58 pm
Veteran blogger, rookie smoker. Outdoor writer, transplanted Canuck. Work for the U of A, in Phoenix

www.skinnymoose.com/dryrubbedrat

KidCurry

Never used one...I dont remember anyone mentioning using on but I would guess it applies.  I work the 18 WSM about the same as my excel 20, all bullet smokers work just about the same way...some just take more fiddling then others.

#2 - March 28, 2010, 09:00:03 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Crash

I have never cooked on the Frontier, but have logged many hours on the Excel 20's.  I would think that the Frontier would not be as much of a fuel hog as the E20's, but that is just pure speculation.

I think I'd use a modified approach (based on the info on the E20's) to help you get started.  The reality is that you just have to start cooking and tinkering with vents, fuel amount, water (or no water) in the water pan, etc.  Once you get the temp control figured out, the rest is gravy.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your experiences with the Frontier.
#3 - March 29, 2010, 10:11:34 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

DesertRat

Thanks guys.

I have another rookie question. She's going on her maiden voyage this weekend - beef ribs. Knowing it's all trial and error until I learn her traits anyway - what do you think? Top rack or bottom rack?
#4 - March 31, 2010, 06:40:01 pm
Veteran blogger, rookie smoker. Outdoor writer, transplanted Canuck. Work for the U of A, in Phoenix

Crash

Thanks guys.

I have another rookie question. She's going on her maiden voyage this weekend - beef ribs. Knowing it's all trial and error until I learn her traits anyway - what do you think? Top rack or bottom rack?
I dont have a lot of experience with beef ribs.  I would take a temp reading at each level after your fuel is lit and make your decision based on that.  Do you know what temp you want to cook your ribs at?
#5 - March 31, 2010, 07:31:25 pm
VRM Pit Crew

DesertRat

Was going to shoot for 225 unless someone has a better suggestion..
#6 - March 31, 2010, 09:12:53 pm

Crash

I have a feeling your best bet is going to be the top rack.
#7 - March 31, 2010, 09:23:43 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Members: