AZ Barbeque.com

ProQ 20 Charcoal Basket

Discussion started on

houstonbudman

I have had my Excel for 2 weeks and have used it twice. I find the charcoal basket is rusting at a rapid rate. Have any of you Excel users experienced this? I know we are humid in Houston compared to AZ but at this rate I will be fabricating another basket pretty soon.

So far I have smoke a brisket, pork butt and this weekend will be ribs.  Still struggling with temperature control. Cannot seem to get over 250*. I now have my Maverick ET-73 which will help me know what the real temp is.  I am going to try the waterpan without water this weekend and will put a clay flower pot saucer in the pan.  Saw this on another cite and author said it worked very well.  Will let you know how it turns out.

Saints or Colts???????????
#1 - February 05, 2010, 03:38:12 pm

RudedoggAZ

Go Saints!!! Yeah, My basket has a little rust on it and seems to be warping a bit. I've used it quite a few times more than yours but it has me worried a bit. I think you will find that it will be alot easier to get the temps up if you don't use water.

How much do you load up your basket when you start your fire? In the beginning I used to use 3/4 chimney and a decent amount of fuel... Wasn't enough. Now, I probably waste some fuel but I load it full with 3/4 chimney and since I've been doing that I haven't had many issues with the temp.
#2 - February 05, 2010, 03:50:14 pm

Crash

No issues at all with charcoal baskets on any of our Pro Q's.  I would have to think that the humidity has something to do with the rust.

Lose the water if you want to achieve a higher temp, but make sure to keep that water pan in for longer cooks.
#3 - February 05, 2010, 05:25:25 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

houstonbudman

I think part of the problem is that I have not been using enough charcoal. Will load it up this weekend even though I will not need a really long burn for my ribs.

I have seen how folks make charcoal baskets for their barrel smokers and expect one day that will be the route I will go.

Thanks for your input.
#4 - February 05, 2010, 05:44:24 pm

houstonbudman

I see that the bottom of the charcoal basket is essentially on the same plane as the air vent intakes on the bottom of the Excel. I am thinking about connecting some stainless bolts to the bottom of the charcoal basket that will raise it up a little. This will result in the air intake being below the basket and I think may increase the air flow to the coals resulting in greater temps.  Has anyone tried this?
#5 - February 05, 2010, 05:50:31 pm

AzJohnnyC

No problems with my charcoal basket. I've got my water pan lined with foil, and I have a nearly round large roasting foil pan in it too, no water. I can close two of the vents and barely crack the third and it will chug along all night at around 230 degrees.
#6 - February 05, 2010, 06:42:10 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

c5rulz

Houstonbudman,

I too complained of too low of temps.  Once I got the Maverick ET-73 I found the temp gauge in the lid is going to read much lower than from the lower to probe ports.

Ron
#7 - February 08, 2010, 08:33:06 am

Chawka

have been using my PRO Q for awhile and have had no problems with temp. since I stopped using the water.....
#8 - March 25, 2010, 11:09:53 pm

KidCurry

have been using my PRO Q for awhile and have had no problems with temp. since I stopped using the water.....

AMEN! ;)
#9 - March 26, 2010, 09:24:54 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Members: