AZ Barbeque.com

Guru Nanoq

Discussion started on

hhanna85

Has anyone tried a Nanoq from BBQ Guru on a Pro Q Excell 20 ?
#1 - December 05, 2010, 04:42:58 pm

KidCurry

I use a guru cyber q 11 on mine...works great.
#2 - December 05, 2010, 07:15:27 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

hhanna85

Thanks Kid. Do you have any problems maintaining low temps? It is hard to keep mine down to 225 F with two stackers.
#3 - December 06, 2010, 09:24:48 am

KidCurry

I have never tried.  I usually cook around 250. 

#4 - December 06, 2010, 10:50:48 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

hhanna85

OK KidCurry I broke down and ordered a nanoq. Do You have any tips? Going to smoke a pork butt for pulled pork. First time for me. Thanks
#5 - December 08, 2010, 10:28:14 am

KidCurry

I usually start the fire with the fan on the adapter but not plugged into the controller, once the temps level off I then plug the fan in and let it do its thing. I have found that if I bring the trumps up slowly I have less over shoot at the beginning. I have the up graded fans so I run them 1/2 open.

I do have my fire grate slightly elevated to allow more air to get under the coals.
#6 - December 08, 2010, 11:21:17 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

hhanna85

Sorry KidCurry another question. How did you attach the blower adapter to the Pro Q? I got the Weber adapter and it doesn't fit the vent hole and when I tighten it the hood doesn't set flat. Drill a new hole ?
#7 - December 09, 2010, 09:54:57 am

KidCurry

Mine worked just fine...can take a pic when I get home.

It does not sit "centered" on the hole, but seems to work.  I do remember putting a little elbow in to it to get it to sit more flush.
#8 - December 09, 2010, 11:29:35 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

AZWildcat

OK KidCurry I broke down and ordered a nanoq. Do You have any tips? Going to smoke a pork butt for pulled pork. First time for me. Thanks
First time smokin pork butt or using the nanoq?
#9 - December 09, 2010, 12:00:40 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

hhanna85

AZ Wildcat. Both, smoken a butt and the nanoq. Heck I don't have much experience using a smoker. I bought it from a member about a year ago and have not had much success yet. My brother is coming from Washington and wants pulled pork. Any advise is welcome. What kind of wood to use?
#10 - December 09, 2010, 01:43:45 pm
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 01:49:26 pm by hhanna85 »

AZWildcat

Well, here's my .02 for what it's worth. I wouldn't use a draft controller unitl I knew how to maintain a temp without it. Some of the fun is actually learning it's little issues, as every one has it's own personality. That being said......

I prefer a mix of Hickory and Apple. Apple can be a little hard to find, esp in chunks, but well worth it I think. I'll even push a little cherry thru too... DO NOT use mesquite in pork, just a bad decision. Easy to find, but I don't use mesquite wood for anything, esp chx or pork. I can understand it for beef (I still don't use it except for steaks), but remember that with wood, more is less.

You just want the smoke to be constantly puffing out, not piling out, so don't get too crazy on adding wood. You don't want it to taste like ham, but that "controling" is half the fun.

When you think you have enough rub on it, put on a little more. Use a binding agent, like mustard if you want. Get the rub into crevaces and let it sit for at least a few hrs.

We can get into injection options, but no reason to bite off too much right away. If you have an injector you can pump it up w/ apple juice, won't hurt it.

That's IMHO, but others will surely tell you differently. My comp pork sucks, so maybe when you are done you can give me tips!!

Godd Luck to ya.
#11 - December 09, 2010, 02:14:18 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

KidCurry

When will you be cooking?
#12 - December 09, 2010, 02:52:26 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

azkitch

And...wait a little longer!! I hope you have a good thermometer...otherwise, keep it in the smoker until a skewer glides in and out 'like buttah!'. Pork for pullin' needs to cook to right around 200. Some say 197, some say 205, but you get the idea. Mustard as a rub binder is the normal way, and the mustard cooks off--or something. It disappears, and doesn't seem to leave flavor behind. And like wildcat said, hickory apple sounds good; pecan works well, apple alone works nicely too. BBQ Island and BBQs Galore both have wood available, and there are lots around town, too. West--way west--there's a farm around litchfield and Olive that sells wood during the fall/winter. There's a lot at 19th Avenue and Cinnabar called Glowing Embers that has some nice pecan and fruitwood. There's a guy at 16th St. and Greenway Pkwy selling pecan and some other wood out of his front yard. BerryBrothers Firewood at 53 St. and Washington is fantastic, as well as a club sponsor. That should do it...
#13 - December 09, 2010, 07:39:46 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

KidCurry

Here are the pic of the adapter attached.  The others holes have not been taped on this one yet.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#14 - December 10, 2010, 07:06:07 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

hhanna85

Wow thanks guys for the advise. You have really been a great help.
   Is Safeway meat OK or should I look elsewhere?
   KidCurry; I am suppose to have the pulled pork ready on the 27th for a family gathering but I'll do a test this weekend. Rib's. I'll put the rub together this weekend and try a butt sometime this next week. Thanks for the step by step instructions you sent me they answered several questions I had not thought of yet.
  Azkitchen ; yes I have good thermos, A Thermoworks mini, and Maverick ET-73. Thanks for the wood sources.
  AZWildcat; thanks for the advise, I think I have been using too much wood in my past cooks now that I think about it.
  Thanks again to all of you. Hope to meet you guys someday. There may be more questions to come.
#15 - December 10, 2010, 09:35:15 am

Members: