AZ Barbeque.com

Cold weather smokers step inside

Discussion started on

c5rulz

Happy New Year,

Tomorrow I am going to smoke 2 Boston Butts for pulled pork to fuel a football game party on Sunday. 

However the temp is supposed to be about zero for a high.  Has anybody had any problems or advice with this cold of outside temp.?  I have considered enclosing the smoker with a large cardboard box.  I will use a LOT of charcoal and get the water boiling before adding.

Ron
Lacrosse WI.
#1 - January 01, 2010, 06:28:57 am

Mrs. McFrankenboo

I assume that since this is in the ProQ thread that you are in fact using a ProQ?  OK, we have WSMs but use this foil/bubble wrap/insulation stuff that you can buy at Home Depot.  It comes in big rolls and then you just wrap it around the smokers.  It worked well for us at the last competition but then again, the temps were only in the 30s.  You could always double wrap it and would probably help keep your temps up there.  Hope that helps!
#2 - January 01, 2010, 08:42:38 am

c5rulz

I assume that since this is in the ProQ thread that you are in fact using a ProQ?  OK, we have WSMs but use this foil/bubble wrap/insulation stuff that you can buy at Home Depot.  It comes in big rolls and then you just wrap it around the smokers.  It worked well for us at the last competition but then again, the temps were only in the 30s.  You could always double wrap it and would probably help keep your temps up there.  Hope that helps!

Yup, it's a Pro Q.

I posted here and in the Weber forum since they are so similiar.
#3 - January 01, 2010, 09:19:05 am

jmcrig

Yup, it's a Pro Q.

I posted here and in the Weber forum since they are so similiar.

I think we can forgive you. It's New Years and all. LOL
#4 - January 01, 2010, 09:39:28 am

azkitch

Careful, Mark. Don't want to piss somebody else off, & have 'em take their posts and go home!  ;)
We'z just jokin'.
#5 - January 01, 2010, 08:49:48 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

SmoknAZ

Careful, Mark. Don't want to piss somebody else off, & have 'em take their posts and go home!  ;)
We'z just jokin'.
Kitch we are just trying to thin out the Dave's. ;) Actually hate to see anyone go because everyone has something to bring to the table.

When in Iowa I had the cheap brinkman and they sold a bubble wrap that actually fit the unit and it did wonders. As Erin said get the bubble wrap or go to Harbor Freight if you have one and grab a welding blanket. Just make certain you leave an open area for fresh air for the fire and the exhaust open.
Probably cheering for the Cards eh? ;D
#6 - January 01, 2010, 10:15:38 pm
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

jmcrig

We'z just jokin'.

I'm being good today. I think I'm on "Double Secret Probation".
#7 - January 02, 2010, 02:16:59 am

PackerBacker BBQ

Hey Ron! Happy New Year to ya!!!

When the weather turns cold here in Idaho, I use sand in the water pan (foil it 1st) With the amount of humidity you have there in WI (70%-80%) you will be able to retain more heat in the smoker with the sand vs water

Hope this helps

Dave
#8 - January 02, 2010, 08:30:49 am
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:20:45 am by PackerBacker BBQ »
Wait until next year!

KidCurry

I have never used water in my pans...when its 20 degrees out.  Maybe sand or rocks for thermal mass would be good, but i do not use water at all...and the bubble wrap/insulation stuff is a great idea.
#9 - January 03, 2010, 11:24:11 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

c5rulz

Well men, it's done.

Saturday it was about a high of zero.  I loaded up a very full basket of blue bag and a heaping Weber chimmney, minion method.  

I did cut a box that surrounded about 80% of the smoker and put a lid on it.

The Maverick ET-73 said a high of 260 and a low of 218 over 8 hours.  I added some more coal about 5 hours in.

BTW, the pork shoulder was a huge hit.
#10 - January 06, 2010, 07:31:45 am
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:21:32 pm by c5rulz »

azkitch

c5--I went to Big Lots yesterday, and they had Bucky Badger brand Blue Tortilla Chips! I had to buy them, due to all my WI connections. Mom went to HS in Monfort, down by Platteville/Dodgeville area, and it goes on from there. They're fascinating chips; kind of like those Munchos potato chips.
I take it c5 refers to a 4 wheeled conveyance you own? PICS
#11 - January 06, 2010, 07:53:22 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

c5rulz

c5--I went to Big Lots yesterday, and they had Bucky Badger brand Blue Tortilla Chips! I had to buy them, due to all my WI connections. Mom went to HS in Monfort, down by Platteville/Dodgeville area, and it goes on from there. They're fascinating chips; kind of like those Munchos potato chips.
I take it c5 refers to a 4 wheeled conveyance you own? PICS

The blue corn chips are OK, my wife likes them more than I do.  I prefer the thin white corn restaurant style with Mrs. Renfro's habernero sauce. >:D

The blue bag I was talking about is that there Kingsford.

Yup the C5 as in Corvettes.  I have tons of pics but am fairly computer illiterate when it comes to posting.

Ron
#12 - January 06, 2010, 01:20:00 pm

azkitch

The blue corn chips are OK, my wife likes them more than I do.  I prefer the thin white corn restaurant style with Mrs. Renfro's habernero sauce. >:D

I call Mrs. Renfro's Hab sauce my mistress...Love that stuff!!

Safeway here wants $4.95 a jar for it. Albertsons gets $3.59. Super Target has it for $2.29 normally, and it goes on sale for $2.09 frequently. I go through a jar in just over a week here.
#13 - January 06, 2010, 03:36:48 pm
CBJ # 53779

n2dabluebbq

you mean one of these??

#14 - January 06, 2010, 07:13:45 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

force

avoid inside smoking.. unless it's a cigar
#15 - January 06, 2010, 10:27:23 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Members: