AZ Barbeque.com

Another Excel 20 practice

Discussion started on

Crash

We tossed on a full chimney of coals at 3p today, with 1/3 full water pan and 2 stackers.  Temps were very consistent at 210-235 depending on how the vents were manipulated. 

Most importantly, that sucker is still sitting at 210 degrees more than 9 hours later. 
#1 - August 09, 2009, 12:17:49 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mike (AZBarbeque)

What did you cook??
#2 - August 09, 2009, 12:18:32 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crash

Only 2 racks of spares and we cooked them both on the top stacker.  Way too much room for only 2 racks of ribs? Yes, but we wanted to play with the temps again.

I think we just about have this cooker dialed in now.  I also think that I just jinxed us.   :)
#3 - August 09, 2009, 12:40:21 am
VRM Pit Crew

RudedoggAZ

Yeah, I was a bit worried after my very first time using my new ProQ but after a few times I notice that the temps actually stay pretty consistant. I just need a couple digital thermometers. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get the one I saw yesterday on www.woot.com It was a remote one so you can keep the temp. display inside the house and it has an alarm for when the food reaches temp. Any suggestions on decent priced thermometers?
#4 - August 10, 2009, 09:18:30 am

toys4dlr

Some people rave about the Mav remote Thermo, but I have had zero luck with those.  It does not like the double paned windows and is always hunting for a signal and beeping when it can't find it.

To tell the grate temp, I use a Polder type Thermo I got from Costco Business for 14 bucks or so.  It is the type that you would put in the meat to know the internal temp.  Well, I wad up some Alum foil run the prob through the foil and set on the grate.  The Alum foil keeps the probe off the grates and tells me the temps at grate level.
#5 - August 10, 2009, 10:47:27 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

KidCurry

I find up here on the 20 that I start with the minon method then I have to dump a lit chimney of coals after about 4 hours or so. (to keep the temp at 225 on the top, 250 on the bottom).  I have each vents open 1/4 to 1/2 which burns through the coals kind of fast....after that it will go for 6 more hours before I need more coals and after that I am usually done...more coals and more work than the UDS but not bad. I am finding it is easier to get good bark on the 20, the UDS I guess is almost too moist.  ???
#6 - August 10, 2009, 11:18:45 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Crash

Yeah, I was a bit worried after my very first time using my new ProQ but after a few times I notice that the temps actually stay pretty consistant. I just need a couple digital thermometers. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get the one I saw yesterday on www.woot.com It was a remote one so you can keep the temp. display inside the house and it has an alarm for when the food reaches temp. Any suggestions on decent priced thermometers?
We use 2 Maverick thermometers for the large meats, and only one for chicken and ribs.  One goes into the eylet at grate level and the other goes into the large meat.  

Dave is right, they do lose signal if they get to far from the thermometer base.  We just leave it outside close to the smoker and havent really had problems.
#7 - August 10, 2009, 02:22:33 pm
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:24:41 pm by Crash »
VRM Pit Crew

RangerJurena

I find up here on the 20 that I start with the minon method then I have to dump a lit chimney of coals after about 4 hours or so. (to keep the temp at 225 on the top, 250 on the bottom).  I have each vents open 1/4 to 1/2 which burns through the coals kind of fast....after that it will go for 6 more hours before I need more coals and after that I am usually done...more coals and more work than the UDS but not bad. I am finding it is easier to get good bark on the 20, the UDS I guess is almost too moist.  ???

Interesting on the bark comment. The UDS is for all purposes direct heat.  I find it does great bark...just prior to burning.

Glad to hear everyone has their 20 dialed in, I'm still scuffling.
#8 - August 21, 2009, 01:19:45 pm
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

Mr.Bo

Glad to hear everyone has their 20 dialed in, I'm still scuffling.
You're not alone there.
I put two 8# pork roasts on at 7 this morning using one stacker. Used the Minion method with regular K and added about 3/4 of a lit chimney to that. Water pan was about 1/3 full, bottom vents were cracked about half way and the top was full open. The only time the Pro Q got above 200 was when the liquid in the pan evaporated. More liquid (1/2 gallon) and K has been added and the bottom vents are full open for now and it's about 210.
There must be something I'm doing wrong because most people are able to get theirs above 225 and hold there. Mine holds temps pretty well but just doesn't seem to want to get much above the 200 mark.
#9 - August 23, 2009, 12:58:30 pm
BBQ Grillware vertical gas smoker
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Crash

You're not alone there.
I put two 8# pork roasts on at 7 this morning using one stacker. Used the Minion method with regular K and added about 3/4 of a lit chimney to that. Water pan was about 1/3 full, bottom vents were cracked about half way and the top was full open. The only time the Pro Q got above 200 was when the liquid in the pan evaporated. More liquid (1/2 gallon) and K has been added and the bottom vents are full open for now and it's about 210.
There must be something I'm doing wrong because most people are able to get theirs above 225 and hold there. Mine holds temps pretty well but just doesn't seem to want to get much above the 200 mark.
How much fuel did you start with in the basket?
#10 - August 23, 2009, 02:06:48 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Mr.Bo

How much fuel did you start with in the basket?
Almost full Crash.
Still have to be doing something wrong though. I posted that message right at 1 pm. It's nearly 3:30 now and it was still chugging about 210 just now. Waterpan was dry again so I removed it, added the second stacker and within 5 minutes, it was up to 250.
#11 - August 23, 2009, 03:28:46 pm
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Crashs Wife

Crash is busy trimming chicken........yes his favorite thing to do....NOT.  He wants to know what thermometer you are looking at?  Are you using a remote or just looking at the temp gauge on the lid?  Let us know, we would love to help you dial in your temps!!! ;D
#12 - August 23, 2009, 03:33:50 pm
Crash's Better Half :)
AKA Pit B!t@h

Mr.Bo

I'm looking at the one in the lid. The remote is in one of the pork roasts.
After the last change, I've had to close the bottom vents to about 1/4 to 1/3 open. It was just at 260.
#13 - August 23, 2009, 03:43:00 pm
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Mr.Bo

Trimming chickens isn't one of my favorites either. But, some body has to do it. LOL
#14 - August 23, 2009, 03:44:18 pm
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Crashs Wife

We don't ever go by the gauge from the lid.  We have found it is rarely accurate.  Crash ran to the store but I will ask him how many degrees he has found it to be off.  We usually put one gauge in the large meat and then one in the eyelet on the side of the stacker for a grate temp.  You can use a remote or just stick a regular meat thermometer in the eyelet. 

I can't wait to see pictures though.  !!!
#15 - August 23, 2009, 03:48:28 pm
Crash's Better Half :)
AKA Pit B!t@h

Members: