AZ Barbeque.com

Another Excel 20 practice

Discussion started on

Crash

Interesting post Kitch.  Built in thermos aren't good at all... in my opinion!  ::)  We dont trust them at all.  As a matter of fact, the PQ E 20 lid thermo was WAY off on yesterday's cook (actually way more off than it has been on previous cooks).

We have always monitored our temps at grate level, using our cheap-ass Mavericks through the eyelets on the PQ E 20.

We did two racks of spares today on the PQ E 20.  We cooked both racks on the top grate doing a 2 stacker cook.  Basically, the lower stacker and grate were lonely. Nothing on them at all, and just trying to fine-tune the cooker. 

Lisa loaded the bottom basket w/ about 1/3 unlit Blue Bag K and dumped a fully lit chimney of Blue Bag K on top of it.  Water pan was actually filled with about 2 quarts of water (which evaporated after the first 2 hrs....and no more added).

On two stackers, with us cooking only 2 racks of ribs on the top stacker, we were in the 215- 250 range at top grate level..consistently for 6+ hours (nothing on the bottom grate).  We actually had to shut down the bottom vents to drop the cooker back into the prime temp range.

We've had no issues with consistent temps..well at least after our first 2 trials.

#31 - August 30, 2009, 01:56:46 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

RobOConnell

Everywhere I've gone on these BBQ forums, the first rule of thumb for backyard type smokers is always "throw away the thermometer". Taylor wired probe thermometers at Target are $17. and measure to above 380. They seem pretty hardy, also have a timer built in. Get a bunch.
Mr. Taylor, may I have that sponsorship now?
(If they don't sign me, I'm gonna go buy a Maverick...)
Buy Maker's Mark Bourbon---I guess that's pushin' it.

And a fine job you did there Dave, if they dont sign you now, then they are knvttz (nuts) :laugh:
#32 - August 30, 2009, 08:01:41 am
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

skou

Yeah, I was a bit worried after my very first time using my new ProQ but after a few times I notice that the temps actually stay pretty consistant. I just need a couple digital thermometers. I'm kicking myself that I didn't get the one I saw yesterday on www.woot.com It was a remote one so you can keep the temp. display inside the house and it has an alarm for when the food reaches temp. Any suggestions on decent priced thermometers?

Man, I thought I was the only one that hung out at Woot!  I got 2 of those, and used them in a pork roast, on my Weber kettle, cooking indirect.  One was in the roast, and the other was just laying on the grate.  I also tried it laying on the top of the roast, and I think those temps were correct.

I just wish I could figure out how to shut that woman up!  For the meat, it was OK, she'd announce that it was 10 degrees from temp, and later, announce thart we hit temp.  But, with the oven temp, she just wouldn't shut up!

steve
#33 - September 13, 2009, 11:47:03 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Members: