AZ Barbeque.com

Another Excel 20 practice

Discussion started on

azkitch

...Well, I wad up some Alum foil run the prob through the foil and set on the grate.  The Alum foil keeps the probe off the grates and tells me the temps at grate level.

I would think that a mass of metal,even as wimpy as alu.foil, that close to the probe would cause a heat sink effect, and throw off temps. I never thought about aluFoil, cuz I drilled a small hole in a triangular chunk of mesquite. I cook it a couple more times, I'll be able to pull it like pork. It looks like a bad Cajun dish--blackened mesquite!
I wonder what that'd taste like, as smoke wood, having sat in the smoke chamber for a year...I don't think I'll find out, though. I'll use it as fuel when I burn my drum. Then I'll use a piece of Oak or apple for the probe holder next.
#16 - August 23, 2009, 05:29:33 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mr.Bo

I should have thought about that! Please let me know how far off the lid therm was and which way.
You know, in the old days when I only had an ECB, I never worried about temps at all. Overcooked a lot of good meat though... :'(
As far as pics, I haven't taken any yet. The roasts were wrapped and sprayed a few minutes ago at 170. When the reach 200 and hit the cooler for an hour or so, I'll get some pics.
#17 - August 23, 2009, 05:34:17 pm
BBQ Grillware vertical gas smoker
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

Crash

For a two stacker cook we've found that the Pro Q E20 lid thermo is about 10-20 degrees lower than the grate that is immediately under it.  We've noticed that the temp is 30-40 higher on the lower grate as compared to the E20 thermo. 

Example from today's 2 stacker cook:
E20 thermo reads 290
top grate level temp 307
bottom grate level 325

Those eyelets at each grate level on the Excel 20 are awesome.
#18 - August 23, 2009, 06:42:10 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mr.Bo

Thanks Crash! That means I've been worrying for nothing then. The temps are actually pretty close to where I wanted them to be. Your help and input are appreciated!!
I promised Lisa pictures but I only took one since it was 10 pm when I pulled them.
#19 - August 24, 2009, 07:09:38 am
BBQ Grillware vertical gas smoker
WSM with mods
UDS
Pro Q Excell 20

RangerJurena

For a two stacker cook we've found that the Pro Q E20 lid thermo is about 10-20 degrees lower than the grate that is immediately under it.  We've noticed that the temp is 30-40 higher on the lower grate as compared to the E20 thermo. 

Example from today's 2 stacker cook:
E20 thermo reads 290
top grate level temp 307
bottom grate level 325

Those eyelets at each grate level on the Excel 20 are awesome.

Well I hope this is true as I was about to toss mine in the dumpster.  I was expecting company yesterday with baby backs and yard bird on the menu.  After over 1.5 hours of sitting at 200, I was furious and decided the thing was a piece of junk.

Fired up the UDS which holds 225 forever and cooked everything there.  If what your saying is correct, then it was at the correct temp.

#20 - August 24, 2009, 08:33:30 am
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

KidCurry

That is pretty much what i have found...if the "in the top" therm is reading 220 the top grate is around 230 and the bottom close to 250...give or take!
#21 - August 24, 2009, 09:52:58 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Crash

Well I hope this is true as I was about to toss mine in the dumpster.  I was expecting company yesterday with baby backs and yard bird on the menu.  After over 1.5 hours of sitting at 200, I was furious and decided the thing was a piece of junk.

Fired up the UDS which holds 225 forever and cooked everything there.  If what your saying is correct, then it was at the correct temp.

Wes,
Have you measured your temps through the eyelets at grate level...or are you just going by what the built in thermo reads?
#22 - August 24, 2009, 01:20:20 pm
VRM Pit Crew

RangerJurena

Wes,
Have you measured your temps through the eyelets at grate level...or are you just going by what the built in thermo reads?

Im a simple man, the difference between the top grate and the built in thermo, is not like 6 feet or anything. 10 degrees is quite a bit in that space.

I truly like the "stackability", but this needing multiple eyelets and thermometers is wearing me out.  I prefer to fire it up, get it set and cook.

What I don't like about the UDS is the clean up, especially at an event.  The Pro Q is much easier which goes back to the stackability. 

However, these guys that are bringing home the hard ware are not worried about their temperatures.  Their consistency goes back to the steady temps ( UDS provides) and I'm frazzled that i can't get control the Pro Q up or down.

#23 - August 24, 2009, 01:54:54 pm
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

Crash

However, these guys that are bringing home the hard ware are not worried about their temperatures.  Their consistency goes back to the steady temps ( UDS provides) and I'm frazzled that i can't get control the Pro Q up or down.

Sorry to hear you're still having temp issues.
#24 - August 24, 2009, 02:22:15 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Crash

Meant to ask Wes....what kind of fuel are you using?
#25 - August 24, 2009, 08:07:28 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Quiggs

Diesel
#26 - August 24, 2009, 08:39:56 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

RobOConnell

JP-4 jet fuel....  >:D
#27 - August 24, 2009, 08:42:03 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

AzJohnnyC

Some old pallets and what used to be wicker furniture with oleander for flavor.
#28 - August 24, 2009, 08:47:06 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

RangerJurena

Stubbs for competing and I wanted to practice for Prescott.  This time it was 1 bag of Stubbs laying around and about 1/2 bag of Kingsford Blue, roughly 20 lbs of Charcoal.
#29 - August 25, 2009, 06:21:06 am
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

azkitch

Everywhere I've gone on these BBQ forums, the first rule of thumb for backyard type smokers is always "throw away the thermometer". Taylor wired probe thermometers at Target are $17. and measure to above 380. They seem pretty hardy, also have a timer built in. Get a bunch.
Mr. Taylor, may I have that sponsorship now?
(If they don't sign me, I'm gonna go buy a Maverick...)
Buy Maker's Mark Bourbon---I guess that's pushin' it.
#30 - August 30, 2009, 01:03:00 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: