AZ Barbeque.com

5/9/09 CHX practice

Discussion started on

Crash

The Excel 20 humming along...someone want to come over and pull some weeds?

Skin side up....the 3 on the left were cooked differently from the 5 on the right.

Skin side down.

Finished product.

#1 - May 09, 2009, 10:48:22 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Crash

This CHX practice was at a high temp tonight.  W/ 3/4 of a chimney of K coals, temp settled in at 330 at grate level and 325 on the ProQ's top thermometer.  It was good to see that the temps on a legit thermo vs the ProQ's were fairly similar.  Usually I see a +/- 10 degrees between the two.

I was definitely going for a taste/texture practice tonight and not an appearance thing.  I smoked on peach wood for the first time ever, and actually loved it.  I only used one baseball sized chunk of peach wood.

It was a fast cook, but the temp held steady throughout.  I am actually smoking some brats now since we still have some heat.

The CHX was definitely very tasty, but not too easy on the eye if viewed from a comp standpoint.

#2 - May 09, 2009, 10:56:28 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

SlantedBBQ

I have also noticed a difference in heat depending on where items are on the rack. It really didn't make sense to me why.
#3 - May 10, 2009, 12:09:19 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Looks good Crash, now I'm hungry again.  Great job...
#4 - May 10, 2009, 12:17:34 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crashs Wife

It was really really yummy.  And the skin on the three cooked differently was the best in a long time.  And I don't like skin!!!  I am getting ready to heat up those brats for the kids breakfast.  Thanks Crash and keep the practicing coming.  The kids and I love it!!   ;D
#5 - May 10, 2009, 07:59:55 am
Crash's Better Half :)
AKA Pit B!t@h

force

I don't remember getting the call.......
#6 - May 10, 2009, 11:49:16 am
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Members: