AZ Barbeque.com

Whole PIG!?!?!?!?

Discussion started on

Lizard333

Just curious bout some recipes for whole hogs.  Iw ould like to do one in the 50 lb range in my Lang 84 Smoker.  I would like to butterfly it, as it seems like it would cook quicker and more evenly. I would also like to know about brinning or not, good ways to season.  Also, what is the best way to get skin nice and crispy and tasty!!!  Any help at all will be appreciated.  Thanks!!!!
#1 - May 13, 2008, 06:56:32 pm
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

bearbonez

David "Bear" Nunley

force

I do whole pigs and stuff the cavity with chickens............... you will have no finer tasting chicken........ plus a nice roasted pig............  butterfly is the easy way............ whole pig without butterfly........ need a pig crew...... lots of Jack.......... lots of hours......... lots of Jack........... and 1 apple............ the only way to go.........................................
#3 - May 28, 2008, 09:46:22 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Lizard333

I do whole pigs and stuff the cavity with chickens............... you will have no finer tasting chicken........ plus a nice roasted pig............  butterfly is the easy way............ whole pig without butterfly........ need a pig crew...... lots of Jack.......... lots of hours......... lots of Jack........... and 1 apple............ the only way to go.........................................

What are you using to cook the pig with?  What temp and how long??  Before I got my Lang 84, I used to rotiserie my pigs, and I would do the same thing, stuff them full of chicken, halves of lemons and whole garlic cloves.  But this will be a whole new cooking proccess.  Thanks for the info!!!
#4 - June 05, 2008, 09:55:10 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

bearbonez

You could get one of these...http://www.lacajachina.com/

I have seen where someone made legs on a grill grate with nuts, washers and bolts to grill on top of the box while the pig is cooking.....multi-purpose is good. And for the prices on these. Definately on my "toy I must have" list.
#5 - June 06, 2008, 07:32:38 am
David "Bear" Nunley

Griln4u

If possible, Marry a chick from Iowa. I hear their Fathers give them away WITH a pig roaster.
We have done them on rotisserie and that works pretty good but the last half dozen hogs have all been done in smokers. not butterflied.
Apple injections are a must
Slow cooking 155 is also helpful... usually plan on 1 hour per 10 lbs. Plan on having it done a couple hours before you need it as it's easier to slow down the process and keep it hydrated then it is to speed up the process at the end of the cook time. Don't think you are going to be able to increase the heat enough the last two hours to make up for falling asleep half drunked up while on duty.
we always stuff them with something (usually more pork as that's what everyone is there for) but I have to tell you the chicken sound good & I'll try that next time.
If you dice your garlic real fine and add some other rubs etc. you can usually get them to go through the injector too.
Ano0ther thing we do is add a water pan at the source of the heat..I'll fill that with a little of everything... Tequila, orange and lemon juice as well as the peals and all... I'll even put apple cider and cut apples in there sometimes...  We usually try to use Apple wood for the fire too but make do with what you got. It will be fine.
Cover his snout & ears with foil to keep them from burning off and as far as the skin...I don't know, I always wind up with un eatable skin but hey, the dogs love that and they have to eat too.
One last thing, If you are going to butterfly that bad boy, look on-line for plans to build one out of cinder blocks... you build it on the ground, cover the bottom with sand, put your grate on there and cover the whole thing with Tin Sheeting.. Build a fire at both ends...It looks really nice and when your done you just take the blocks down and stack them at the back of the house. (You don't morter the joints) just stack and go.
Good Luck!
#6 - June 06, 2008, 10:56:45 am

force

Hey lizzard,
I have a DP 70's series..... cook it at 225-235....... done different sizes.... keep in mind if you have a 60 pound pig and stuff with 12 lbs of chicken.. the total weight....... about 15 hours cooking time....... prep time.. many hours....... after pulling it off........ at least 2 hours before you can pull the pork..... and it's still very hot when pulling........ chicken is the best ever......... we roast whole pigs......... people like it for show as well......... but the chicken is the kicker...... we always have a crew of at least 3......... so you have to get two bottles of the big Jack.......... if you go over 4 for the crew...... more Jack..... it's definitely a 24 hour gig or more.........
#7 - June 15, 2008, 11:30:46 pm

desertdog

We did this guy at the pig roast last year down in Tucson...injected the night before, built the pit in the morning, covered with foil, few hours later...mighty tasty pig!

#8 - June 26, 2008, 04:27:47 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

force

Looks like a Wildcat........
#9 - June 26, 2008, 06:45:03 pm

ddog27

Looks like a Wildcat........

;D ;D ;D ;D
 >:D >:D >:D >:D
#10 - June 26, 2008, 09:42:08 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

tjeras

I cook a whole pig, but never have butterflyed it before. I go old school, and rotisserie the thing like back in the village. I built a rotisserie for it last year, and it comes out great. What you do is cook the pig low and slow. If you have too much heat in the beginning, it burns the skin and the insides are uncooked, no good. The best way to season is inject the meat the night before with store bought marinade or something you created. There are a ton of sites on the net with recipes, really simple. Personally, I like just a garlic applejuice puree for the injection, then heavy sea salt, and pepper all over the pig. To get the rub to stick, put some water on the skin and the stuff will stick just fine. You want to get the pig good and salted the night before so it has a chance to penitrate the meat.
To get the skin nice and crispy, you need to be at the end of the cooking process. Make sure your internal temp is at the correct mark, then increase the fire. What you are looking for is a frothing of the skin, it will start to bubble with this grease froth and brown tremendiously, kind of sizzle. This will indicate the skin is crisp and ready. It takes about 5 minutes on high heat. I'll e-mail some pictures during my next roast, its coming up in a month or so.

-t
#11 - August 14, 2008, 09:35:34 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great info T, look forward to seeing the pictures.

I have yet to do a whole pig myself, but it's coming up soon.

We will be doing a Whole Pig cook-off within the next few months, so everyone better start preparing for it..  ;)
#12 - August 14, 2008, 09:41:02 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

ddog27

A Whole Pig cook-off! Awesome! Now I can be like Jack's old south at the Memphis in May! ;D ;D ;D
#13 - August 14, 2008, 11:10:49 am
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

Griln4u

Michael,   Whole Hog cook-off would be great... Ever see that movie "Dances with Pigs"?  I were in it.
#14 - August 15, 2008, 08:51:34 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Haven't seen that one, will have to look it up.

Yea, we are in the process of getting the details worked out, once we do, we will announce it.  Should be a really fun cook-off.
#15 - August 15, 2008, 10:07:03 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Members: