AZ Barbeque.com

The Tin Man...

Discussion started on

dmbeebe1981

Hey Guys-

I'm looking for methods of wrapping my ribs in foil. Now, I'm not exactly looking for secrets here, just ideas. Currently, I'm smoking my ribs for about 4 hours at 200-225 and then wrapping them in foil and placing them in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. I pour a little of the marinade into the foil to help steam them while in the oven but I'm not getting them as tender as I'd like.

Are there other methods for doing this?

I'm also confused as to where the internal temp should be. I've googled it and I've seen it range all over the place. I bought this really cool meat thermometer at Cabela's last week. Measures the temp of the meat with a separate probe for the temp of the cooking chamber. Plus, it has a wireless remote reciever! Only cost $50. If you don't have one of these I highly recommend one!
#1 - July 22, 2010, 03:07:06 pm

Crash

Are you cooking spares or baby backs?  If spares, are they trimmed St. Louis style?

For eating at the house we cook St. Louis trimmed spares and follow a strict 3-2-1 method.  3 hours on the smoker at 240-250.  Then lay out two sheets of HD foil about three feet long.  Place ribs on both sheets of foil bone side up and add 1/4 cup of liquid. fold foil up and put back on the cooker for 2 hours at 240-250.  Remove from cooker after 2 hours, remove from foil and put back on the 240-250 smoker for 1 hour.  brush sauce on for the last 30 minutes.

Enjoy!
#2 - July 22, 2010, 03:48:19 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

dmbeebe1981

Hey Crash-

I normally do baby backs. They always come out very flavorful with my dads marinade recipe its just that I can't seem to get them tender enough. Will this work with baby backs?

I guess I'm looking for a new method to increase tenderness. If its too much of a secret I understand.

Any ideas? Anyone, anyone, Buler, Buler......Buler  :-)
#3 - July 22, 2010, 03:55:22 pm

KidCurry

I think the higher temps Crash quoted are the key to what you are looking for.  I know of one very successful BBQ competitor that says to cook ribs at 275, albeit for a slightly shorter amount of time.

Follow his advice and you'll be golden.
#4 - July 22, 2010, 04:18:17 pm
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:20:52 pm by KidCurry »
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

MeatInc

You ARE pulling the membrane - right?!?! ???
#5 - July 22, 2010, 05:05:27 pm
Meat, Inc.

De Profundis

dmbeebe1981

Yeah, I am pulling the membrane. Kind of a pain in the ass at first. But I got that down. I still can't figure out what the internal temp should be.

Does anyone use a meat thermometer when cooking ribs?
#6 - July 22, 2010, 05:35:14 pm

Crash

We never temp ribs.  You should be able to tell if they're done by grabbing a rack on one side and watch the bend.  if the bend starts to break or seperate, they're done.  It's a feel and look thing.
#7 - July 22, 2010, 05:49:41 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

I cooked with the Smokin' Away In Porkaritaville team at a Vegas contest. I recall them putting raw sugar, honey and, I believe, apple juice concentrate over their ribs after smoking and before foiling. It didn't win, but I remember being impressed at how the ribs came out distinctively glazed and tasty. :P
#8 - July 23, 2010, 01:58:53 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

PAT YOUNG

MARK, was that turbinado suger or what?
#9 - July 23, 2010, 02:10:15 am

grizmt

It would've had to have been large crystal sugar either Turbinado or Raw Sugar like they sell at Costco to get a glaze and not burn.
#10 - July 23, 2010, 05:49:33 am

Mark

Yes. I believe it was turbinado sugar with the big crystals. They put it on large baby backs and the shiny glaze that it all made was a thing to behold; almost candied. :P
#11 - July 23, 2010, 06:36:41 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: