AZ Barbeque.com

Tender Quick where to buy in Phx

Discussion started on

Smoker Man

I love making my own bacon and buckboard bacon but like to find a local source for Morton's Tender Quick curing salt.  Any one know a local place?  I've looked all over.  Walmart, Smart & Final, grocery stores, I can order it pretty cheap from kmart but have to buy a dozen 2 pound bags, more than enough to cure and smoke myself and my family.
#1 - August 24, 2010, 04:17:56 am

Tek465

I've found it at AJ's Fine Foods at the bottom of the salt/spice aisle. Bass Pro Shop carries LEM cure salt (Pink salt, Prague powder) that also works for bacon or sausage.
#2 - August 24, 2010, 11:35:44 am

Smoker Man

Thanks, never would have thought of AJ'S kind of have to shave and clean up to go in there.  Can't imagine their customers making their own hams and bacon but I'm going down there in a bit.  got some great pork loin on sale at Fry's yesterday for $1.49 lb  will make great Canadian Bacon.   Smoke with Pecan and cure with adding maple syrup and maple sugar with fresh cracked pepper.  mmmmmmm  get some of those poisonous eggs and there's breakfast...or dinner.

#3 - August 25, 2010, 03:10:46 pm

Smoker Man

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/10/buckboard-bacon.html

awesome single page tutorial how to cure and smoke buckboard bacon.    If you've never had home made bacon made from pork butt/shoulder, loin or tenderloin you are missing some great flavor.  1/5 the fat of pork belly bacon, frys quicker and mmmmmmm good.   Very simple to do, just takes the time to cure in the refrigerator.  easily cure and smoke 8-15 pounds at a time and it freezes well.

#4 - August 25, 2010, 11:11:10 pm

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Can we get that Hi Mountain seasoning locally? Or what do you recomend?

Gotta try this ;D
#5 - August 26, 2010, 10:24:47 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

chefrob

Gotta try this ;D

i bass pro has it on the east side and i'm sure cabella's on the westside should have it.
#6 - August 26, 2010, 11:04:47 am

Smoker Man

Gotta try this ;D

When you compare the ingredients with Hi Mountain and Tender Quick other than HM having something to keep it from caking the ingredients are the same, but Tender Quick is a fraction of the cost.    TQ you can add brown sugar or maple sugar equil parts or less)  One of my friends once the cure is done, the soak, and the rest before smoking he injects the cured meat with 50/50 maple syrup and apple juice then covers in maple syrup before the smoke.  I'd like to try that
I'm curing 9 pounds of pork loin right now.  I'll apple & oak smoke it.  wish I had maple wood. 
#7 - August 26, 2010, 01:02:01 pm

JenHopkines21

yah me too. I just can't have enough of bacon
#8 - March 22, 2011, 05:28:33 am
The most disease I hate is toenail fungus, solution?
toenailfungusremedies

Members: