AZ Barbeque.com

Sparerib Temp.

Discussion started on

145 grill

What is the best temperature to cook pork spareribs to, I don't want them fall off the bone, I want them bite off the bone. Any tips anyone can give me will be appreciated. I am having problems with different altitudes.

MIKE
#1 - May 29, 2011, 09:10:25 pm
1-offset stick burner trailer
4-UDS
1-home offset
The hardest thing about smoking meat is keeping it lit.

Crash

I dont think most of us cook spares to a specific temperature.  For us, it's the look, feel and bend of the ribs.  Other use a toothpick or a thermapen to test for the desired tenderness. 

We use a modified 3-2-1 method and cook at 250 consistently.  It seems to work for us.
#2 - May 29, 2011, 09:20:50 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

jmcrig

Like Crash said. It's not to a temp, but to a feel. With my WSM, 3-2-1 is too much at 250. With the pellet pooper the 3-2-1 is too much, but closer than the WSM. I guess what I'm trying to say is, practice, practice, practice. And learn your smoker, they're all different.
#3 - May 29, 2011, 09:37:02 pm

AZWildcat

I dont think most of us cook spares to a specific temperature.  For us, it's the look, feel and bend of the ribs.  Other use a toothpick or a thermapen to test for the desired tenderness. 

We use a modified 3-2-1 method and cook at 250 consistently.  It seems to work for us.
Very modified from that. I've found that in my WSM's if you leave ribs in foil for 2 hrs they become waaay to tender, but it is all about the cookers own personality. Just wait til they are looking to almost break when you bend the ribs at least 4 bones in.
#4 - May 29, 2011, 10:27:01 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

azkitch

Wow. They've pretty much said it all...Dan, Azwildcat, mentioned specifics regarding the "bend" test, that I've never seen before. Makes it repeatable. I have a UDS, and if I try to get anywhere close to 3-2-1, I'll have a bag of bones and pork mush. My ribs are done somewhere around 4 1/2 hours, with about 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours in foil. So that works out to about 2.5-1-1 for me. In my drum. I haven't used the offset in so long, I wouldn't know how to start a fire in the thing!! I've considered finding out if I can get anything for it, but I'm going to use it as a store display instead!
#5 - May 30, 2011, 12:12:51 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Crash

We also cook very large spare racks.  Bigger the better.
#6 - May 30, 2011, 12:26:55 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

glenntm

We actually cook the ribs to temp.  If you take the Butchers BBQ class he teaches this process.  We had a lot of success with this method. 
#7 - May 30, 2011, 11:03:08 am

145 grill

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

MIKE
#8 - May 31, 2011, 09:33:17 pm
1-offset stick burner trailer
4-UDS
1-home offset
The hardest thing about smoking meat is keeping it lit.

AzScott

We actually cook the ribs to temp.  If you take the Butchers BBQ class he teaches this process.  We had a lot of success with this method. 

Interesting.  We did that for a while and found that our ribs were inconsistent.  Currently we have switched to cooking 3 hours, foil for 25 minutes, and then check for tenderness.  Most of the time they are perfect or only need another 5 minutes.  We use a toothpick to check for tenderness.
#9 - June 01, 2011, 09:43:32 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

glenntm

Interesting.  We did that for a while and found that our ribs were inconsistent.  Currently we have switched to cooking 3 hours, foil for 25 minutes, and then check for tenderness.  Most of the time they are perfect or only need another 5 minutes.  We use a toothpick to check for tenderness.

Scott...This method only works well if the ribs are soaked on Gatorade before cooking... 
#10 - June 01, 2011, 09:57:31 am

Trailhound

So are you going to share the temp with us or just let us guest at it?  ;)  ;)
#11 - June 01, 2011, 10:40:51 am
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

tbonejc

I've heard the 3-2-1 method is different for baby backs too.  Probably closer to what Dave was saying about 2.5-1-1, or less.  I just go by feel and bend myself.  Once they're almost done I foil 'em then unfoil for some time then sauce.  mmmmm...
#12 - June 01, 2011, 11:23:42 am

AzScott

I never foil ribs at home.  I like them better....wait, I'm lazier at home than at a competition and the thought of pulling out the foil and the mixings to go in it isn't worth it to me.  95% of my friends wouldn't even notice.   I think everyones smoker will vary but of the 3 different types of cookers I've used a 3-2-1 method has always produced over cooked ribs for me. 

Tom, you are full of helpful tips and pointers.  Your Tang tip improved our brisket by ~18 points at the last comp.  What type of Gatorade should one use to brine their ribs?  I was thinking lemon lime.  Is there a difference between the regular (G1) versus the low sugar G2? 
#13 - June 01, 2011, 01:46:59 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Members: