AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked pork loin

Discussion started on

autorotator

I'm going to be smoking a 2.2 lb pork loin tomorrow and not sure what kind of spices I should rub it with.

I was thinking of putting some apple juice or apple cider in my steam pan(?). Any thoughts on this?

I was planning on trying to maintain 250f. Is that good for a pork loin?

I will be using hickory chunks.

Thanks in advance.
#1 - August 15, 2009, 03:36:59 pm

autorotator

I should add that I will be using charcoal and hickory chunks.
#2 - August 15, 2009, 03:39:08 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I would suggest using some of DDog's Apple Rub along with injecting with some Apple Juice, that would work out great...  ;)

250 will work fine and should come out great.  Let us know how it goes..  ;)
#3 - August 15, 2009, 03:51:29 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

autorotator

Apple rub huh? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds delicious. I've never been big on injecting any kind of meat. Do you think having the apple juice in the pan would add anything to the flavor? Also where is this DDogs?
#4 - August 15, 2009, 03:54:48 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Apple Juice in the pan will work fine as well.  DDog's can be purchase either at his site or from some local places.  Another one of our sponsors, BBQ Island also carries it.
#5 - August 15, 2009, 03:55:44 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

toys4dlr

A pork loin is good, but a stuffed roll loin is much better.

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bbq-recently-post-pictures-and-tell-us-what-you-cooked/stuffed-rolled-pork-loin/

I used cream cheese, provolone, sauted onions, roasted peppers, and a few items from the what do I have in the fridge catagory.  It is yummy, I used yardbird for the rub and smoked at 275 until I reached an internal of 145-150.  Rest, slice and serve.

YUMMY
#6 - August 15, 2009, 03:59:55 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

autorotator

That sounds really good toys!

Thanks Mike!
#7 - August 15, 2009, 04:09:00 pm

toys4dlr

No prob, it is easy to do.  Just butterfly the loin and add what you want.  Then tie back up and smoke.

Hope it turns out

David
#8 - August 15, 2009, 04:23:10 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

RobOConnell

A pork loin is good, but a stuffed roll loin is much better.

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bbq-recently-post-pictures-and-tell-us-what-you-cooked/stuffed-rolled-pork-loin/

I used cream cheese, provolone, sauted onions, roasted peppers, and a few items from the what do I have in the fridge catagory.  It is yummy, I used yardbird for the rub and smoked at 275 until I reached an internal of 145-150.  Rest, slice and serve.

YUMMY

This sounds so good, my wife and I are gonna have to try this.

Rob
#9 - August 15, 2009, 06:18:00 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

azkitch

Pork loin is one of those meats that can take a higher temp for shorter time if you can and wish. Or not. The debate about filling the water pan with alternative substances rages ever on in forums far and wide. Many people think adding stuff to the water or filling the pan with other liquids is a waste of herbs, fruit, fruit juice, or what-have-you. Some say they think it makes a difference. Then someone else replies, "try it both ways and you decide.". Personally I think basting/ injecting is likely enough. You could buy one of the commercial injector flavors at the supermarket and get an injector, or they may sell them separately in the kitchen accessory section of the grocery, or at kitchen supply stores--there's one at a swap mart near you, probably. Or head to one of the local tack shops, I know of one on 32nd St. near Greenway, i think, and get an animal syringe and large gauge needle. Stab, and inject as you pull.
I talk a lot, too.
azkitch
#10 - August 15, 2009, 07:51:35 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Thom Emery

Pork Lion is a bit like Tri Tip
in that you can grill or smoke it
a combo of both is delightful
#11 - August 15, 2009, 08:59:27 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

olivesmoker

Hi there!
When we want to change it up a little and not go with a traditional spice-type rub, this is what we do.
In a spice grinder/coffee grinder (by the way, DO NOT make the mistake and use your wife's coffee grinder, you will be in big trouble when she makes coffee the next morning!!!)...combine fennel seeds and black peppercorns. Or crush with rolling pin or in a mortal and pestle. Add minced garlic and olive oil to make a sort of paste. Rub this all over the pork loin and smoke as you have planned. This is an excellent flavor combination to pork loin. We love it!
An easy shortcut is to buy crushed fennel and coarse black pepper from our favorite online spice merchant. Living on a desert island such as Havasu, we can't find this stuff in a retail store. That eliminates any of the having to grind yourself.
Here is the link to the online store
http://www.americanspice.com
Smoke pan we agree with all others in that it is personal opinion whether a flavored liquid truly makes a difference.
Hickory is quite strong for a pork loin. Our smoke of choice is alder. Imparts a nice mellow flavor that complements the above rub. We have also had excellent results from red oak and pecan with this rub.
#12 - August 15, 2009, 09:59:32 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

autorotator

Thanks everybody! All great ideas.
#13 - August 16, 2009, 09:41:15 am

Members: