AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked Bratwurst

Discussion started on

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Any recipies out there for smoked bratwurst? I would like to try something different next week. I have read that you should hold the temp to about 180 degrees and smoke for 2 hours. Any other thoughts??
Thanks again guys ;D
#1 - January 16, 2010, 07:58:48 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Mark

Bratwurst tend to shrivel up when cooked. It's why many simmer them in beer and onions before grilling. Or toss them in a beer bath after grilling or smoking them first. Either way, it helps make for a juicier brat than smoking or grilling alone. But I'm sure some of the Cheeseheads here have more informed experience to share.
#2 - January 16, 2010, 09:25:21 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

IIRC, Porkster IS a cheesehead; yes? I cook 'em indirect on my Weber Old Kettle (WOK!) usually w/a chunk of apple. Maybe 30-40 minutes, then a few minutes over the coals to crisp and brown the skins. Once you pull 'em off, they shrivel a bit. Just gripping texture to hold the kraut in place! DW grabbed a jar of Vlasic kraut last time, and it was excellent! I buy Frank's Kraut in a bag, cuz it'll help keep Milwaukee open another week...
#3 - January 16, 2010, 10:31:46 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azkitch

In a different thread, Force had this to say...

"when temp reached 165 inside sausage.. pull and soak in ice water for about 30 seconds.. so skin doesn't shrink.."
Fascinating concept.
Ice water makes sausage shrivel, if I recall...
#4 - January 16, 2010, 10:45:39 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

IIRC, Porkster IS a cheesehead; yes? I cook 'em indirect on my Weber Old Kettle (WOK!) usually w/a chunk of apple. Maybe 30-40 minutes, then a few minutes over the coals to crisp and brown the skins. Once you pull 'em off, they shrivel a bit. Just gripping texture to hold the kraut in place! DW grabbed a jar of Vlasic kraut last time, and it was excellent! I buy Frank's Kraut in a bag, cuz it'll help keep Milwaukee open another week...
YES..... Porkster is a cheesehead I always cooked the brats over direct heat then soaked them in a beer and onion bath. I just like trying different things. Always open to new ideas. I love experimenting.
#5 - January 16, 2010, 12:34:35 pm
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

In a different thread, Force had this to say...

"when temp reached 165 inside sausage.. pull and soak in ice water for about 30 seconds.. so skin doesn't shrink.."
Fascinating concept.
Ice water makes sausage shrivel, if I recall...

I never heard of this one. I suppose it's ok if you like cold brats ???
#6 - January 16, 2010, 12:35:58 pm
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

SmoknAZ

I never heard of this one. I suppose it's ok if you like cold brats ???
I think he was talking about smoking brats for eating later but not sure.
#7 - January 16, 2010, 06:05:08 pm
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

I think he was talking about smoking brats for eating later but not sure.

OOPS......That would make sense ;D
#8 - January 16, 2010, 06:47:19 pm
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

azkitch

and I was making a joke about "other" sausages...
#9 - January 20, 2010, 11:45:33 pm
CBJ # 53779

PackerBacker BBQ

Wisconsins own Johnsonville Brats are some fine good eats! I go with the onions in good ol PBR, ya know ;)

Dave

#10 - January 21, 2010, 09:27:05 am
Wait until next year!

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

and I was making a joke about "other" sausages...

:D I haven't had PBR in a long time.......I' have to have some soon, if I can find it. I see Schlutz is now available(Hope I spelled that right)
Brats and Beer.....Ya gotta love it
#11 - January 21, 2010, 10:08:33 pm
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Members: