AZ Barbeque.com

Rib Recipe

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I was on Facebook tonight and saw that someone had posted that they purchased some ribs and were looking for a good Rib Recipe to cook them. 

One of their friends had suggested Boiling them, then grilling them with sauce to finish them off.

Of course, I had to Strongly recommend that they come to our great site for some great Rib Recipes, so post up what method/recipe you use for cooking your ribs at home.  Not looking for your Competitions secrets, just some great recipes for ribs.
#1 - June 23, 2009, 04:18:47 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

desertdog

Here's a recipe that I picked up from Bill Simon quite a while ago.  These turned out nicely and were very easy to prepare:

Smoked Baby Back Ribs

1 2lb slab pork baby back ribs
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Yield: 2 servings

Strip membrane from bone side of ribs. Start fire in water smoker, with water pan filled, and let it reach it's hottest point. Heat for approximately 30 minutes. Add a generous amount of hickory chips to fire for a high degree of smoke. Place ribs bone side down on grill rack. Cook with lid down with heavy smoke for 40 minutes, adding additional hickory chips as needed to maintain high degree of smoke. Remove ribs. Lay on large piece of heavy duty foil. Brush with mixture of butter, sugar, salt and pepper; seal tightly. Place slab on grill rack. Cook at 180-200 degrees for 3 hours or until cooked through. Remove slab from grill; cut into individual ris. Serve with barbeque sauce.

Bill Simon, Three Alarm Smokers

#2 - June 23, 2009, 07:36:45 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

toys4dlr

It would really depend on the equipment they have, to give any real help.  I do ribs at home, very simply.  Trim up to St Louis (sometimes), rub with whatever rub I feel like that day.  Place in my FEC or Stump or BGE or Drum, again what I feel that day. 

Cook until done and again that will change depending on which cooker I am using. 

So if that person only has a gas grill, well it would be different instructions. 

JUST DON'T BOIL THEM!!!!  There I feel better.   ;D
#3 - June 23, 2009, 08:08:01 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

hillbille

I had heard that mustard was good on "smokables", as it keeps them moist while smoking, holds the rub, and is undetectable when done.

I searched  mustard and got some ideas- just used some regular mustard, and heated up some honey, and added it until the mustard was sweetened to taste.

Used some rub I had around, then slathered on the mustard.

After a slow 5 hour smoke, the ribs came out nice and moist, and there was no mustard taste at all.
#4 - June 23, 2009, 08:30:11 pm
bbq newby

AzJohnnyC

I really liked what we learned in the class by Chris Marks at BBQ Island.  It came out great!
After you remove the membrane, poke some holes in the meat between the ribs with a fork.
Spread just plain old cheap yellow mustard, not too heavily, on both sides of the ribs then a moderate coating of your choice of rub...don't "rub" it, just coat it...both sides.
Place in smoker
After removing from your smoker, you can give it another moderate coat of rub for memphis dry style, or add some honey and your choice of BBQ sauce and brush it over your ribs for a KC sticky style.

Wow...I think I actually learned something!
#5 - June 23, 2009, 08:59:36 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

bearbonez

I like to give an cure or marinate sometimes you can do a char sui style

1/4 cup soy sauce
 1/4 cup honey
 1 tablespoon dry sherry
 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
 salt and pepper

or a cuban mojo

1/3 cup olive oil
6 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
2/3 cup sour orange juice or lime juice
(or equal portions orange juice and lime juice)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

or a vietnamese flavor
2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons fish sauce                                                                                                           1-2 large cloves garlic, crushed 1 shallot, finely chopped                                                                                                                                         2 teaspoons caster or turbinado sugar
#6 - June 24, 2009, 09:10:30 am
David "Bear" Nunley

desertdog

Still my all time favorite how to video for "BBQ Spare Ribs"  and Mike's secret technique!  shhhhhh.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-bbq-spare-ribs

#7 - June 24, 2009, 04:30:14 pm

desertdog

Still my all time favorite how to video for "BBQ Spare Ribs"  and Mike's secret technique!  shhhhhh.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-bbq-spare-ribs

Anyone try this recipe yet?  Mike swears by it.

#8 - June 30, 2009, 02:43:00 pm

azkitch

SOUP'S ON! Mmmmm, sparerib soup. Whaddya mean, you threw away the water? That's where all the flavor went!
#9 - June 30, 2009, 02:51:36 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

olivesmoker

Oh my God, that is hilarious!!!
By the way, boiling works really well with Tri-tip too. Be sure to stab that slab several times with a big ol' knife, that really helps get the flavor in there! Hey Dean, gonna try that technique at Santa Maria?? You'd have one heck of a winner on your hands - DO THE WALK, DUDE!!! Oh, and don't forget your trusty, consistent heating gas grill, that's the real secret...
The sprig of coriander, aka cilantro will bowl the judges right over...
#10 - June 30, 2009, 04:47:34 pm
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:49:15 pm by olivesmoker »
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

Lizard333

Remove the membrane and apply salt and pepper to both sides of the ribs.  I also apply a mixture of cinnomon and nutmeg in a ratio of three parts nutmeg to two parts cinamon and apply that to both sides.  I smoke for 1 and half hours at 225, then cover in foil and cook at 350 for about two hours until tender.  Remove from foil, place back in the smoker and then cover with your favcorite BBQ sauce. Enjoy!!
#11 - July 01, 2009, 12:19:58 pm
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

force

Mike.. where u that mysterious friend that recommended boiling?
#12 - July 01, 2009, 01:26:21 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

azkitch

Force, dya need one of those computer breathalyzers?

I know. Pain pills from ankle...I missed the story. Is it here somewhere?
#13 - July 02, 2009, 07:01:45 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

autorotator

I've had some pretty good luck with sticking the ribs in an oven bag, pouring a cup of chicken broth in the bag and sealing. Cook at 250 for four (4) hours. Pull them out, slather them up with your fav sauce and throw them on the grill for the char taste. Falls off the bone.
#14 - August 13, 2009, 03:04:14 pm

autorotator

I also wanted to add, I have heard about the mustard technique, another thing I heard was to smear your meat with ripe banana to seal in the moisture.
#15 - August 13, 2009, 03:07:04 pm

Members: