AZ Barbeque.com

Rib Recipe

Discussion started on

skou

Still my all time favorite how to video for "BBQ Spare Ribs"  and Mike's secret technique!  shhhhhh.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-bbq-spare-ribs

Man, at least in my pre-Smoker age, I'd use beer instead of water, (along with salt, pepper, soy sauce, and chopped onions) but I'd re-use the boil mix every time.  (After a few times, that boil mix turned into a great broth!)

Now, I rub them up, smoke for 3 hours at 250 or so, foil and cook at 250-300 for a couple more hours, then remove ther foil, paint up with sauce and smoke again for about an hour.

steve
#46 - October 03, 2009, 04:32:21 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Three4Que

gotta love that 3-2-1 method, just make sure to adjust times for the smoker you're using.  It is less time on the UDS.
#47 - October 05, 2009, 05:04:08 am
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
"Keep it low and slow"

ASU Alumni

skou

Awesome, Thanks, I will certainly give that a try soon...  ;)

Mike would add his favourite flavour. What was that?  Liquid something?

Oh, Liquid Smoke!  ;D

I still stand by the 1,2,3 method. Only thing I miss, is the great pork rib broth.

Oh, my ProQ is all set for doing a porkbutt tomorrow.  (Bummer, I gotta get up at 7:00!)

steve
#48 - December 16, 2009, 09:46:00 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Smoker Man

My favorite is the Baby Back, they cost so much more, but so tasty.  Usually I buy when on sale and stock up the freezer.  Lee Lee is one of my favorites for any meats.  One in Peoria and one in Chandler.  If you've never been, GO.  Amazing.  Each isle is a different country's products.  never seen a cleaner grocery in my life.  Meat prices are awesome.  if you like fish they have strange fish there also.  Several times they had tanks of live baby octopus.

Cryo packs @ Lee Lees have two slabs each. Usually about $2.99 a  pound. Spare Ribs to me have too many tendons or whatever that is.  I cook to 200 degrees so they should be more tender.  Love the price on Spare Ribs but taste and eating pleasure hands down goes to baby backs. (Please enlighten me to spare ribs so I can save my nickles)

I use Lee Lee's ground pork for home made sausage (soon to get a sausage stuffer and play with smoking that soon).  Usually 99c a pound or less.  Mix that with the ground chicken for fatties (oh yeah...love my fatties).

A couple times at Walmart I got the EXTRA MEATY Baby Backs.  They were $4.50/lb but on sale for $3.00/lb.  I wish I bought them out.  2.5 times the meat.  very very good.

Where do you guys buy your ribs?  Spare or baby backs?

When i cook, I usually use the mustard coating and my favorite rub is good old Lowery's Seasoned Salt. I smoke with Hickory or Oak.  (get my wood @ Paul Bunyon). I don't usually sauce my ribs as it masks the good taste of the tender ribs.  In ribs I want to taste the meat, not the sauce.   Several times I brined my ribs but saw no difference at all.
#49 - December 22, 2009, 12:07:47 am

Crash

My favorite is the Baby Back, they cost so much more, but so tasty.  Usually I buy when on sale and stock up the freezer.  Lee Lee is one of my favorites for any meats.  One in Peoria and one in Chandler.  If you've never been, GO.  Amazing.  Each isle is a different country's products.  never seen a cleaner grocery in my life.  Meat prices are awesome.  if you like fish they have strange fish there also.  Several times they had tanks of live baby octopus.

Cryo packs @ Lee Lees have two slabs each. Usually about $2.99 a  pound. Spare Ribs to me have too many tendons or whatever that is.  I cook to 200 degrees so they should be more tender.  Love the price on Spare Ribs but taste and eating pleasure hands down goes to baby backs. (Please enlighten me to spare ribs so I can save my nickles)

I use Lee Lee's ground pork for home made sausage (soon to get a sausage stuffer and play with smoking that soon).  Usually 99c a pound or less.  Mix that with the ground chicken for fatties (oh yeah...love my fatties).

A couple times at Walmart I got the EXTRA MEATY Baby Backs.  They were $4.50/lb but on sale for $3.00/lb.  I wish I bought them out.  2.5 times the meat.  very very good.

Where do you guys buy your ribs?  Spare or baby backs?

When i cook, I usually use the mustard coating and my favorite rub is good old Lowery's Seasoned Salt. I smoke with Hickory or Oak.  (get my wood @ Paul Bunyon). I don't usually sauce my ribs as it masks the good taste of the tender ribs.  In ribs I want to taste the meat, not the sauce.   Several times I brined my ribs but saw no difference at all.

Lee Lee rocks, as does the Ranch 99 Market on 40th street just South of the 202.  I could spend hours at either one of these stores. 

We like BB's but have now begun to really like spares, especially for the price. We get our spares wherever we find them on sale for .99/lb.  We then load up with a few dozen racks for practice and save the really good ones for competition.  You'd be surprised at how helpful most meat counter people are when it comes to seeing what they have in the back room. Just ask.....I've never heard a no answer on seeing what product they have that is not on the shelves.

I suggest starting a separate thread asking the differences between BB's and Spares, how to cook them, how to trim them, etc.  You'll definitely get a lot of great advice and answers to your questions.
#50 - December 22, 2009, 01:11:04 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Beercicle

I picked this up from a class a while ago--if you're smoking on a WSM and are cooking ribs for lots of people then you'r challenged with space issues--a WSM can hold a few racks if you lay them directly on the grill, but not enough. 

Here's a trick, after removing the silver skin from the back of the rib, roll each rack into a loose "circle" and run a bamboo skewer through it--sort of like a pinwheel.  You can stack the "pinwheels" horizontally and maximize your cooking space.  In my experience, it has no effect at all on the final taste/texture/appearance of the rib!

In terms of mustard, I've tried and, competed with it--it works great.  Cheap, yellow mustard.  Who'd have thought.

Beers
#51 - December 29, 2009, 09:37:20 am
Work is the curse of the drinking class!

Members: