AZ Barbeque.com

Rib Recipe

Discussion started on

Jaybird

I've had some pretty good luck with sticking the ribs in an oven bag, pouring a cup of chicken broth in the bag and sealing. Cook at 250 for four (4) hours. Pull them out, slather them up with your fav sauce and throw them on the grill for the char taste. Falls off the bone.

Hey Cliff, my advice is 'don't ever admit to this again on a bbq forum'....you'll get crucified!!! ;) ???
#16 - August 13, 2009, 03:18:55 pm

Crash

Hey Cliff, my advice is 'don't ever admit to this again on a bbq forum'....you'll get crucified!!! ;) ???
Excellent advice Jay!!   :D  :D
#17 - August 13, 2009, 03:23:33 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

autorotator

Well that's what I have done in the past ???. I'll be picking up my new smoker tonight or tomorrow and look forward to smoking about everything :P.

#18 - August 13, 2009, 03:34:32 pm

smitty250

Well that's what I have done in the past ???. I'll be picking up my new smoker tonight or tomorrow and look forward to smoking about everything :P.

You will have a smoker now so no more oven bags!!
#19 - August 13, 2009, 03:41:09 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Crash

Good luck with your first smoke on your new cooker.  Make sure to give us the play-by-play...with pictures.
#20 - August 13, 2009, 03:44:56 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Oh yea, we do LOVE pictures.  Once you have your new smokers, the Oven Bags will be a thing of the past.   ;D

They do grow up so fast, don't they??  ;D
#21 - August 13, 2009, 04:00:17 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

autorotator

LOL, yeah the bags will be no more.  ;D
#22 - August 13, 2009, 04:11:20 pm

desertdog

I also wanted to add, I have heard about the mustard technique, another thing I heard was to smear your meat with ripe banana to seal in the moisture.

Smear my meat with what ???  Hell why not, long as the wife don't mind.

Don't let em gove ya too much trouble, Cliff.  Pretty much everyone ends up putting their ribs in foil towards the end of a smoke, doing the same thing as an oven bag would do, but using (mostly) the meats moisture to "steam" them. 

I guess the big difference is in doing it before vs after.   Lots of people rave about Houston's ribs, but their ribs are steamed (inc liquid smoke in the water) way before hand, then they are finished over live oak, for their "knife and fork" version of BBQd Baby Back Ribs.  They use KC Masterpiece Original right out of the bottle too.

Glad to have you aboard Cliff.  I have learned a lot on this site, I am sure you will too.  Congrats on the new smoker!
#23 - August 13, 2009, 04:13:20 pm
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:23:51 pm by desertdog »
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

olivesmoker

Time to peel off the pampers and run with the Big Dogs :D
Good luck on your first smoke  8)  keep us posted on the maiden voyage...
#24 - August 13, 2009, 04:22:29 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

Lizard333

Smear my meat with what ???  Hell why not, long as the wife don't mind.

Don't let em gove ya too much trouble, Cliff.  Pretty much everyone ends up putting their ribs in foil towards the end of a smoke, doing the same thing as an oven bag would do, but using (mostly) the meats moisture to "steam" them.  

I guess the big difference is in doing it before vs after.   Lots of people rave about Houston's ribs, but their ribs are steamed (inc liquid smoke in the water) way before hand, then they are finished over live oak, for their "knife and fork" version of BBQd Baby Back Ribs.  They use KC Masterpiece Original right out of the bottle too.

Glad to have you aboard Cliff.  I have learned a lot on this site, I am sure you will too.  Congrats on the new smoker!

Desertdog has it right.  Don't let any of these guys discourage you in the slightest.  The main difference between your method the "prefered method" is the use of a smoker to get some flavor in BEFORE it gets a nice long steam in a bag/foil enclosure. Keep up the good work, and keep trying.  I'm sure that you will find that giving your ribs a little time in the smoke first is going to vastly improve on your ribs.  
My mother swears that Houstons has the best ribs in the world!!  Again, just plain steamed ribs.  It's all about low and slow.  Do it how YOU want, and don't let anyone tell you other wise.  Welcome aboard, and keep reading, your sure to learn something.......
#25 - August 13, 2009, 09:02:19 pm
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

azkitch

Oven bags are great for brining turkeys and chickens in!
#26 - August 14, 2009, 01:48:00 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Jaybird

I never said he couldn't do it. I just said don't admit to it!! ;)
#27 - August 14, 2009, 05:29:00 am

Lizard333

Fair enough.  I just didn't want the poor guy to get discouraged.  He's new, and I wanted to make sure he kept coming back.   We will just have to show him the ways of the force..... 8)
#28 - August 14, 2009, 06:34:07 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

autorotator

Just picked up the smoker and will be testing it out tomorrow! Yum Yum!
#29 - August 14, 2009, 01:16:34 pm

RudedoggAZ

Just picked up the smoker and will be testing it out tomorrow! Yum Yum!

Good luck! Yeah, I have a big weekend ahead of smoking myself... Have you decided what you are going to make?
#30 - August 14, 2009, 01:55:28 pm

Members: