AZ Barbeque.com

pork shoulder from Costco???

Discussion started on

TeninoBBQ

I am doing my first pulled pork today, and my wife picked up the pork shoulder from Costco.  Problem is these have the bone already cut out.  I am goint to smoke them anyway, just wondering if the time will be longer or quicker with the bone removed?  Will it work for pulled pork the same as if the bone was still attached.  Same piece of meat, just thinner at that end from cutout of bone.  Any help would be great
#1 - December 24, 2008, 10:22:49 am

toys4dlr

Same stuff, with the bone removed.  If it is really that much thinner from the bone removal, it will cook a little faster.  However, you could tie it back up, which will increase the overall mass and lengthen the cook time.  either way it is a forgiving meat and should be great.

#2 - December 24, 2008, 10:33:20 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

KidCurry

I have smoked a ton of those bone-outs from costco...the way they are cut lets you get more rub on them.  You can pack it into all the cracks and crevices. When I put them on the smoker I trie to pile them up so they look more like a hunk of meat doing this they have all gone about the same amount of time as any bone-in I have done.  They pull just fine.

Good luck...I believe it is hard to turn out a really BAD piece of butt...might no be the "best" ever but it will almost always be GOOD and better than most restaurants.

This is not the best image but you can see how I have it stacked up not laid out (red chunk meat on the right).  This is how I do them.
#3 - December 24, 2008, 11:57:18 am
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 01:11:35 pm by kidcurry73 »
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

azkitch

...I believe it is hard to turn out a really BAD piece of butt...

Kid Curry has never had my magical "Creosote Cake"...
OK, I'm not usually that bad--just feeling it from last Wednesday's disaster...
dk
#4 - December 26, 2008, 12:04:50 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzQer

Butts are such a difficult subject to talk about without a few jokes thrown in. So here is my input it is all in how you rub your butt as to how well it comes out. Butts are one of the most forgiving. if you are looking for pulled pork 2 ways to get it done- 1- just take it to around 200 degrees it should be ready or foil it at around 170 with a little juice and pull it around 195-200 degrees should turn out great. good luck
#5 - December 26, 2008, 07:19:49 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

KidCurry

...I believe it is hard to turn out a really BAD piece of butt...

Kid Curry has never had my magical "Creosote Cake"...
OK, I'm not usually that bad--just feeling it from last Wednesday's disaster...
dk

Man you have got to build yourself an Ugly Drum Smoker!  Your days of Creosote will be OVER! ;D  Its easy and cheap...heck head up this way one day this summer and we can do it, I'll supply the barrel you bring the grates and some expanded metal!  I have 2 extra barrels just waiting to be burned!

I still use my Hondo when I want to chase the fire fairy or need the room but most cooks are done on the UDS and it sure is nice to be able to run to the store for more liquid smoke when ever I need it.  ;D ;D

So Tenino...How did it turn out?
#6 - December 26, 2008, 09:07:31 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

TeninoBBQ

Everyone,
Thanks for the input.  There is 15 inches of snow on the ground and I only have my little electric smoker until I pick up my Fat 40 from Mike in January.  So, it took a lot longer than I anticipated.  With that said, it was great and everyone loved it.  I took it out at 180 and foiled for 45 minutes.  I plan on freezing some of it for later.  I can't wait to get the Fat 40 up to Washington so I can so more at a time.

Thanks for all the help, great site.

Brent
#7 - December 26, 2008, 06:12:20 pm

azkitch

KC, you've got a deal. I'll combine it with a trip to visit my kid up there! And the way my finances have been, I'll need to save up for Xpand and grates!  ;D ;D
kitch
#8 - December 26, 2008, 09:54:20 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

ddog27

Any meat that lets you put more rub on it is a good one in my book!! ;D ;D ;D
#9 - December 27, 2008, 05:25:19 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

KidCurry

Everyone,
Thanks for the input.  There is 15 inches of snow on the ground and I only have my little electric smoker until I pick up my Fat 40 from Mike in January.  So, it took a lot longer than I anticipated.  With that said, it was great and everyone loved it.  I took it out at 180 and foiled for 45 minutes.  I plan on freezing some of it for later.  I can't wait to get the Fat 40 up to Washington so I can so more at a time.

Thanks for all the help, great site.

Brent

Did it pull pretty well at 180?  Glad it worked out for you!
#10 - December 30, 2008, 09:00:03 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

Members: