AZ Barbeque.com

Pork ribs on the grill... am i doing this right?

Discussion started on

Rob P

I originally planned on attempting baby back ribs on the grill on Friday night but think Saturday would be better seeing i would have more time to marinate and cook instead of having to rush everything. I want to run my plan by you guys to make sure I'm doing this right. let me know what you think.

Baby back rib prep:

1. getting the ribs from Hobe Meats (i don't have a Sam's membership :( )
2. Pull membrane and trim
3. Place ribs in 1 gallon ziplock bag with Dr pepper, jack daniels, garlic, and apple cider vinegar and refrigerate over night. turning once or twice.
4. remove from refrigerator about 2 hours before cooking, rinse and pat dry.
5. right before cooking, lightly lather with Dijon mustard and apply rub which consists of brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder, onion salt, black pepper.
6. cut Hormel Black Label Maple Bacon to size so that it can be laid across top of ribs.

Grill prep:

Left Side
1. remove grates and heat spreader from grill.
2. Turn heat to low.
3. make several "smoke bombs" with soaked hickory chips.

Right Side
1. replace heat spreader with drip pan. add some water to the drip pan
2. heat is to remain OFF.

------------------------

Cooking the Ribs:

1. Once grill reaches a consistant 225 degrees, place ribs directly on the rack on the right side, right above the drip pan. Place bacon weave on top of ribs so that the bacon fat drips down onto the ribs an keeps it moist while giving it a little added flavor. Place 2 smoke bombs directly on the active burner.
2. check ribs, smoke bombs, and spray down ribs with apple cider every hour or so for 3 hours. remove bacon if/when it looks cooked. the bacon will then be chopped up and added to a side dish.
3. up the grill temp to 250-275 for the last hour or so.
4. slather ribs with BBQ sauce 15 minutes prior to removing from the grill.
5. remove ribs from grill and cover with foil for about 30 minutes (this will allow me to get other stuff ready too) and then serve.

for sides I'm going to do the Mac & Cheese and tater salad that you guys have on here:

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bbq-recipes/bear's-baconcheddar-tater-salad/

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/non-bbq-recipes/killer-macaroni-and-cheese/

let me know if i am spot on... I'll pretty much be following these directions to a T so if you see anything that isn't right or have any suggestions please let me know
#1 - April 14, 2011, 10:16:25 am

Mark

i don't have a Sam's membership

Sam's is doing an open house this Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so even if you don't have a card you can get it. I let mine lapse and got a Costco card, only because my kid's karate school relocated close to a Costco. Either joint is a good way to kill an hour or two each week. If nothing more than to stroll and sample. :P
#2 - April 14, 2011, 10:23:43 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Rob P

Sam's is doing an open house this Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so even if you don't have a card you can get it. I let mine lapse and got a Costco card, only because my kid's karate school relocated close to a Costco. Either joint is a good way to kill an hour or two each week. If nothing more than to stroll and sample. :P

Is this at all Sam's ? the closest one to me is in Gilbert's San Tan. I live like 2 seconds from there
#3 - April 14, 2011, 10:27:59 am

Rob P

#4 - April 14, 2011, 10:30:28 am

AZWildcat

Rob, I don't do ribs on a gas grill, so I don't know about the procedure. No reason why it wouldn't work though. Don't overthink it! You'll do fine! The best part is, you get to eat the results, and it's always yummy!
#5 - April 14, 2011, 11:24:05 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Rob P

so it looks like I'm "that guy"

Just rename me to the Gas Grill Guru
#6 - April 14, 2011, 01:19:20 pm

AZWildcat

No, you certainly are not "that guy"! Just you giving it a shot puts you a notch above "that guy", and I think your results are gonna be good. The only BBQ I do nowdays is merely for competition practice, but it's end up on the dinner plate all the same. Remember, we like pictures here too....success or failure you'll learn a lot. Don't be afraid to ask questions, this forum helped me leaps and bounds when I started!
#7 - April 14, 2011, 02:33:34 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Atlas

Good luck with the ribs, tripple G!

About the only thing I might do different would be to wait on laying the bacon on until the ribs have had a chance to soak up the smoke.  Other than that it sounds like you have a good game plan.

Jim
#8 - April 14, 2011, 06:01:38 pm
Fire Magic Charcoal Grill, ECB, NBBD with 20 Lb tuning plate, Pro Q Frontier.

Rob P

Good luck with the ribs, tripple G!

About the only thing I might do different would be to wait on laying the bacon on until the ribs have had a chance to soak up the smoke.  Other than that it sounds like you have a good game plan.

Jim

good point. ive read that the first hour or so is most important for smoking so ill probably lay the back on after an hour.. hour and a half or so
#9 - April 14, 2011, 07:26:24 pm

Rob P

thanks to you i am now a Sam's Club Plus member :) The GF and I checked it out this weekend and did a little price comparisons between there and Fry's and for a majority of the items the savings at Sam's Clue was too much to ignore. not only that but the quality at Sam's was head and shoulders above Fry's.

for instance.. the chicken at Fry's is usually 2.79/lb... $1.75/lb when on sale... and it looks like it has aids.

the chicken at Sam's was $2/lb and it was beautiful. so while Fry's may occasionally be cheaper, I'd rather cough up a few extra pennies for something i know wont give me herpies.

Also, the cartoon sized bottle of Jack back home (Ma) would be around $43. At Total Wine its around $35. and at Sam's it was $29. I'll make up the cost of the membership in the savings from this alone.
#10 - April 18, 2011, 07:03:12 am

n2dabluebbq

don't forget to do the coupon thing. just hit the kiosk when you go in. no need to print them unless you might forget what your after.
#11 - April 18, 2011, 05:16:54 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

azkitch

Yeah, you never come eat at my Sam's Club, do ya? What up with that!

...the chicken at Fry's is usually 2.79/lb... $1.75/lb when on sale... and it looks like it has aids.

the chicken at Sam's was $2/lb and it was beautiful. so while Fry's may occasionally be cheaper, I'd rather cough up a few extra pennies for something i know wont give me herpies.

I'm glad I was done eating! There wasn't a spew alert attached to this post! That's purty funny, right there...
I'm curious; those of you that frequent Sam's other than Bell/15 Ave., do they have Maker's Mark? They dropped it at my SC, much to my chagrin. Not that I ever bought a bottle!! But they used to have the Uber bottle of Maker's for $29. Then it went to $40. Then back to $29, back to $40, then gone. If I want bourbon, I'd have to buy Jim Beam. Finks!
#12 - April 18, 2011, 07:29:50 pm
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:36:35 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mark

Kitch, I'm a bourbon fanatic of several decades experience and several billion brain cells lost. If you want the best bang for your buck, consider Evan Williams. Way more than decent at half the price. I'll drink and try any new/old bourbon I come across, but for the money, this one is a winner.

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/totalwine-camelback/ecommerce/product.html?product_id=10799410
#13 - April 18, 2011, 08:00:48 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

Now that you mention it, I remember talking about bourbon a bit with you at Chandler, methinks. We should further that discussion!
I kept going, but I was about to turn this into a hijack. I'll start a different thread!
#14 - April 18, 2011, 11:42:16 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: