AZ Barbeque.com

Need a pork roast recipe!!

Discussion started on

Jackkyl

Hey all!  My lady picked up a pork sirloin roast, about 1 1/2 lbs.  Its meday off, so I wanted todo something cool with it...However, last time I tried to do a roast on the grill it was almost a disaster!  That roast was beef and I ended up making steak tacos with it and my coworkers loved it but I was on the verge of ruining the meat.  If only they knew how close they were to being served a veggie platter a la Fry's...

Anyhow, now I have this pork roast, but I'm not sure what cut it is in the bbq venue- too small to be a pork butt or shoulder or whatever.  Obviously I don't know my pig anatomy and I'm trying to learn as I go.

So, does anyone have any suggestions??
#1 - October 13, 2011, 09:00:11 am

Mark

Pork sirloins don't pull, you slice them after cooking. I recommend poking deep slits in it and then pushing garlic cloves deep into the meat. You can make a quick Cuban marinade using orange or lemon juice, olive oil, oregano and S&P. Cook it to an internal temperature of 145 degrees. It doesn't need low & slow. I recommend getting your cooker to around 275.
#2 - October 13, 2011, 10:50:36 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

smitty250

I have gotten those before at Fry's. They come in a bag of about 4 of them - 1.5 - 2lbs each. Is it called a pork cushion roast? I ended up doing a basic rub on them and smoking them like pork butt but not as long obviously. I cooked to an internal temp around 165 - 170. Let it rest then slice it up. I used the left over slices to make a cuban sandwich.

Good Luck!
#3 - October 13, 2011, 10:55:00 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

mustang

New!
Hey all!  My lady picked up a pork sirloin roast, about 1 1/2 lbs.  Its meday off, so I wanted todo something cool with it...However, last time I tried to do a roast on the grill it was almost a disaster!  That roast was beef and I ended up making steak tacos with it and my coworkers loved it but I was on the verge of ruining the meat.  If only they knew how close they were to being served a veggie platter a la Fry's...

Anyhow, now I have this pork roast, but I'm not sure what cut it is in the bbq venue- too small to be a pork butt or shoulder or whatever.  Obviously I don't know my pig anatomy and I'm trying to learn as I go.

So, does anyone have any suggestions??

The pork sirloin roast comes from the loin area of the pig.  (pork sirloin roast = pork loin end roast = loin pork roast = sirloin end roast = pork hipbone roast). This is a fairly lean and economical roast.  A bone-in sirloin roast contains parts of the hipbone and backbone, so it's tough to carve.  It's usually worth the extra money to get a rolled and tied boneless sirloin roast.  

(Pork "cushion meat" is totally different and comes from the shoulder picnic meat).

Here is a suggested recipe (including a flavorful brine) for a pork sirloin roast.

http://www.eatlikenoone.com/pork-sirloin-roast-recipe.htm
#4 - October 13, 2011, 03:23:21 pm
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:54:27 am by mustang »

Mark

Smart & Final usually has pork cushion meat. It is good but it won't pull for anything. Actually the best deal going this week is boneless pork loin at Fry's. It doesn't pull either but it's way more tender than cushion/sirloin.
#5 - October 13, 2011, 09:54:20 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Jackkyl

Thanks all!  I ended up procrastinating the roast in favor of Country Fried Steak.  It is another meal that I'm novice at and me gravy needs serious work, but my cheddar-garlic biscuits are BOMBING!!

But that's besides the point.  So, I'm doing the roast tomorrow after work.  I get off a bit early so I'll have time to fiddle with it a bit.  It also marks the maiden voyage of my rotisserie attachment for my propane grill.  So here be me thoughts:

The roast marinates for approx 6 hours in a apple cider-ish mop/marinade.  (I'm a sucker for autumn flavors)

I get my grill rolling at 250-275 (thanx Mark!)

Set up the roast on said rotisserie, drip pan and foil bag some smoking chips (I know smoking is done on charcoal and wood grills, but my Weber is at work recooping from our last cookout)

As roast rolls over flame and into glory, the basting begins.

Timewise, I don't know how long this will take, but if it isn't a slow mover, I'm hoping for a nice chunk o' meat in 45-60 minutes.

Sides include mashed taters, veggie of the green or yellow orientation, biscuit.

So that's my menu, what's your guys take?  I really enjoy input from others so don't be shy!
#6 - October 14, 2011, 07:15:55 pm

Mark

It all sounds good to me! :P
#7 - October 14, 2011, 09:37:13 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

Smart & Final usually has pork cushion meat. It is good but it won't pull for anything. Actually the best deal going this week is boneless pork loin at Fry's. It doesn't pull either but it's way more tender than cushion/sirloin.
I realize this is a bit off the subject...but here we go. The pork loins at Sam's Club are $1.99/lb. I slice some of it into 5/8" thick steaks that I pound thin, flour/egg/crumbs dip, then fry in oil to make sandwiches in the Iowa tradition. The other hunks can be seared over hot coals, then moved to cook indirect, with or without smoke wood. Obviously, I prefer with...any herbally concocted rub will do, as would any commercial or homemade rub.
I hope your rotisserie experience goes well...take pictures!
#8 - October 14, 2011, 11:37:03 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Sounds great Corey....Good Luck
#9 - October 15, 2011, 02:54:19 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Jackkyl

Maiden voyage o' rotisserie went underway! I likes me new toy! And now for they ups and downs...

Ups:

Shoving garlic into slits was a phenomenal success!  I've read about that but haven't tried before.  Thanks to Marks suggestion I am now addicted!  Plus it gives me new insight for T-day since I am designated Meat Cook for fam.

My 6 am whipped up half asleep marinade worked great.  It was apple juice, cider vinegar, dash o garlic powder, a little cinnamon, a bit o' 5-spice, corn oil (I'm a fan o the corn).  Flavors were very potent and robust but nay overwhelming.

My smoke packet was actually just some leftover mesquite chips from a bag that I soaked in foil then threw on grill.  Worked for a bit o' smoke taste.

And the rotisserie was fun! I used a mop made from cider vinegar and juice, added hoisin sauce, chipotle powder, garlicpowder, and a little water to loosen it all up.  Tasty!

Downs:

I should have injected the meat with a brine.  Was just barely getting on the dry side, but only barely.  If I wasn't so hungry, I would've wrapped in foil for the last few minutes of cooking.  In that same note, I didn't let the meat rest long enough. My hunger is a demanding mistress!!

Now for the one thing that I'm very proud of, my resourceful ingenuity, my inventing skills, my adverse reactions to a hostile environment:

There I was, all set to mop and baste and revel in my cooking experience, except I forgot an essential tool- a basting brush!  Crap!  I work at a hardware store, cheap paint brushes are a dime a dozen, but I forgot on my way out today! D'oh!
Ok, so my lady picks up a pineapple to have with dinner.  Pineapple is good in this household.  I get to thinking.  So I cut off three "leaves" and snip the ends, run my knife lengthwise through each leaf, rubber band 'em together and PAPOW! Instant basting brush, Castaway style! 

I was and am still very proud!

All in all, a good meal, a great, albeit small, learning experience, and a fun way to end this stressful week!  I'll have pics for you guys tomorrow.
#10 - October 15, 2011, 09:58:02 pm

Mark

Sounds delicious! I like the Asian approach you took to the seasoning. :P Adding Asian, Caribbean, Latin flavors to your BBQ is a great getaway from the same-old same-old. O0
#11 - October 16, 2011, 09:52:42 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Jackkyl

Bad hair, good eats, I say.
Basting the night away...WITH my Pineapple Leaf Baste Brush 2000!! Act now while supplies last!!
Often, our journeys bring great rewards...
...and one of these rewards is a chunk o' pig. 

Anyhow, thems my dinner pics.  Enjoy!
#12 - October 16, 2011, 06:30:56 pm

Mark

Nice stuff, Corey. By the way, I have exactly the opposite hair cut. Like they say, two halves make a whole.
#13 - October 16, 2011, 06:51:36 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

TryonLewis

4-5 lb. boneless pork loin, rolled & tied
1 (12 oz.) jar apricot preserves
1/2 c. light corn syrup
3 tbsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard

Place roast on rack in shallow pan. Insert meat thermometer in center in thickest part. Roast, uncovered at 325 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until reaches 170 degrees. While roast is cooking combine preserves, syrup, vinegar and mustard. Bring to simmer, simmer 2 or 3 minutes until thickens slightly. Brush glaze on roast 2 or 3 times during last 30 minutes of cooking time. Serves 8 to 10.
#14 - October 17, 2011, 05:15:20 am

azkitch

And for future use, pork will take a brine quite well, too; similar to brining fowl. Dissolve the sugar of your choice and salt in hot water, adding whatever flavorful liquids you prefer, as well as spices, add ice, submerge meat of the day in the solution for many hours, depending on size. Easy on the vinegars and other acidic liquids; those have the effect of turning the meat mushy. I personally prefer turbinado or demerara sugar, for its fuller/molasses-ier flavor and higher burn point.
#15 - October 17, 2011, 08:32:50 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: