AZ Barbeque.com

Need a Pork Chop Recipe tonight

Discussion started on

joe2chillo

My wife and I have a guest in town and we are on a tight budget at the moment. I have some pork chops that I want to cook up tonight and I am looking for suggestions on a good recipe. Any suggestions?
#1 - June 24, 2011, 12:15:16 pm

Mark

If you're grilling them, I usually toss fresh rosemary onto the coals for smoke and flavor. If you don't have any fresh, go to any bank. They usually have big bushes of it in the parking lots! :D

If you are cooking inside, I usually pan sear pork chops with a little olive oil, then add rosemary, garlic, s & p. Then I deglaze the pan with marsala or port wine. Easy and good. :P
#2 - June 24, 2011, 02:15:38 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

mustang

My wife and I have a guest in town and we are on a tight budget at the moment. I have some pork chops that I want to cook up tonight and I am looking for suggestions on a good recipe. Any suggestions?

I would recommend brining your pork chops for an hour or two before cooking them if you have the time.  Your brining solution can be really simple with just salt and sugar OR it can be more complex if you like a particular flavor profile.  

The difference in moistness, tenderness, and flavor of your cooked chops versus not brining them will be noticeable, IMHO.

One caveat: if you buy "enhanced" pork from major supermarket brands, it's already been injected with water and salt, so there's no point to brining those. But if you buy better quality pork, you're not paying extra for their water and salt, plus you're able to control the flavor profile of the brine better.

Personally, I prefer a shorter time in a more concentrated brine (like a third cup of coarse salt per quart of water - don't use table salt).  I think that makes it less likely that the meat will overabsorb and start to taste like corned beef.  I only brine pork chops for about 90 minutes tops, and that's if they're thick bone-in chops.  YMMV ...
#3 - June 24, 2011, 03:06:25 pm
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:27:07 pm by mustang »

smitty250

Shake N' Bake!
#4 - June 24, 2011, 04:02:40 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Trailhound

Golden Mushroom soup and onions in a fry pan and season to taste
#5 - June 24, 2011, 04:08:58 pm
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

chefrob

Shake N' Bake!

not too far off............crush some fried onions that you get in the store like these:

and rub some dijon mustard on the chops then dredge the chops in the onions on both sides and then toss into a 350-400 oven.
#6 - June 24, 2011, 04:31:27 pm

Mark

That sounds interesting! The simplicity and flavor combination sounds very good.
#7 - June 24, 2011, 04:57:56 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: