AZ Barbeque.com

How to take the gamey out of feral hog.

Discussion started on

splitshot

Friend of mine just got back from New Mexico and bagged 2. Quote: "The downside is most of the meat tastes like it has already been eatin once". "The wife and kids wont touch it and even tried to pawn some off to the chickens with the same result".

Any ideas or links i can turn him on to?
#1 - May 19, 2011, 05:44:10 pm

azcharlie

I have a old cookbook from England that has recipes for wild game. It says to soak the boar haunch in cold milk for at least 1 hour to remove the gamier flavors.

I don't know if this works or not as I have never tried it. But I can say. The recipes I have used out of this book have worked well for me in the past.

Hope this helps.
#2 - May 19, 2011, 07:36:05 pm

PAT YOUNG

Brine with citrus !!!!!
#3 - May 19, 2011, 09:03:39 pm

AZWildcat

Pat is right, citrus!.......tons of lime and ice water IMHO.
#4 - May 19, 2011, 09:09:40 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Mark

You could put perfume on it. Oh no. Wait. That only works with a UA coed. ::) And you still wouldn't want to eat it.  >:D
#5 - May 19, 2011, 10:10:38 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Crash

You'd better ship it over to me.  I'll make sure to dispose of it properly.  ;)
#6 - May 20, 2011, 01:12:32 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

splitshot

You'd better ship it over to me.  I'll make sure to dispose of it properly.  ;)

I have asperations of proper disposal as well, lol. Maybe I need to be tight lipped and pack my freezer....

I'll foward the brine ideas, thanks guys. Cheers!
#7 - May 20, 2011, 06:25:34 pm

SmoknAZ

As stated milk is great at taking away the gamey taste. Used to do it with my Black Hills deer. Apple juice and beer is good also.
#8 - May 20, 2011, 07:51:14 pm
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

barbedQ

We use milk on hogs we shoot in Texas.  But you should be aware that if the hogs have been eating in or around sage, creasote and some other noxious desert plants the meat may not be gamey.  it might be flavored and that won't come out with milk, you'd have to hide that with the citrus brine method.
#9 - May 21, 2011, 11:11:47 am
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

Mark

Does a feral hog have the same musk gland situation to avoid, like when dressing out a javelina?
#10 - May 21, 2011, 12:32:38 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

barbedQ

Nope, no musk glands on their back or under their eyes.  Though related javelina are a different branch than feral hogs.  Most feral hogs aren't even the famous "razorback", though they can get quite hairy if the weather gets cold where they are.   They are a pest in north east Texas where my dad lives.  A good size herd can trash an acre in a night and it looks like like it's been disc'd when they are done.  Add in two to three litters a year in mild climates and you've got a problem real quick.
#11 - May 22, 2011, 10:29:28 pm
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

Members: