AZ Barbeque.com

Chili Verde

Discussion started on

wood River BBQ Team

I've been experimenting with this recipe for a long time and this recipe is a combination a  couple of different ones plus adjustments I've made. An important ingredient is the PORK.  ONLY use a PORK BUTT or PORK SHOULDER. DO NOT use a PORK LOIN, which is a leaner cut which dries out and shreads. This recipe provides 6 servings. You can freeze what you don't eat.

The first step is to cube 3 lbs of meat into 2"squares and season with salt & pepper or Lawry's. Then brown the meat in 1lbs batches to allow for even cooking and set aside. Next dice 1/2 a Vidalia onion. Next open a 14oz can of chicken broth. Next open 3 chicken bouillon cubes. Next add a thin layer of veggie oil (not olive oil which will react with the green chiles) to a cast iron skillet or pot. If you don't have cast iron any pot will work. The oil must be HOT or the ingredients will absorb the oil. When the oil is HOT add the above ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook for 45 minutes.

Dump #1: 
Dice a 14oz can of green chili peppers. 1/3 of the green chil peppers will be added to the pot together with 2 packets of sugar, 1.5tsp garlic granules, 1 tsp celery salt, 1/2tsp oregano, 1/2tbs cumin, 1/2 of a 4oz can of jalapenos diced, 1 can (26oz) green enchilada sauce and 14oz can of SW style diced tomatoes OR a 12oz can of tomatillos. Cook for 1 hour.

Dump #2:
Add 1/3 of the green chili peppers, 1/2tsp cumin and 1tsp of EITHER hot or mild green chilli powder. You can add the remainder of the diced jalapenos but be careful - I save them for another cook.  Cook for 30 minutes.

Dump #3:
Add 1/3 of the green chili peppers. You can be creative and add a touch of beer and tabasco. Salt to your taste. Cook for 20 minutes.

Serve with or with out tortillas.  I like it served over fried eggs for breakfast!!     
#1 - May 29, 2017, 02:06:15 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thanks for sharing, sounds awesome.

Will certainly have to try this out soon.
#2 - May 29, 2017, 11:06:35 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

wood River BBQ Team

I cooked chili verde yesterday. Be VERY careful with the SALT SEASONING. In fact, I'd skip the meat seasoning and cut the celery salt in 1/2. TASTE the recipe BEFORE every dump. You can always add seasoning -- it's a pain getting rid of it. I don't know if chicken broth comes unsalted but I'd try that next time. I did add 1/2 of a green bell pepper to the first dump and only used a 7oz can of green chilli peppers and because this cook was getting away from me I skipped the 3rd dump. To reduce the salt taste I used the juice of 2 lemons. Turned out to be just an OK cook. 
#3 - June 05, 2017, 06:32:48 am

Mark

They do have reduced sodium chicken broth. Bouillon cubes are notoriously salty. They say to add chunks of potato to absorb excess saltiness. I guess you could eat em or toss em after.
#4 - June 07, 2017, 06:14:48 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: