AZ Barbeque.com
Likes 5 Likes

bbq sauce and smoking

Discussion started on

vilaubi57

when can you or when do you add bbq sauce to baby back pork ribs and or pork butt for pulled pork.? Maye it doesnt need but I was told by the pitmaster its what I like. Just asking for some help.

Thank everyone

Kyle In Tucson
#1 - June 24, 2012, 02:40:27 pm

vilaubi57

When during the cooking cycle? When you seal it up in foil? Can it be cooked in? I like BBQ sauce!!. Just got some good tasting stuff from miami (a new specialty sauce and rub shop here in tucson)

Thanks
#2 - June 24, 2012, 02:43:57 pm

Mike P in Tucson

When I'm cooking spare ribs, I cook them at 275 on the grate for 1 1/2 hours, then foiled for 1 1/2 hours, than open the foil and brush lightly.  Brush again when they come off.  For baby backs, less time.

For pork, I would add it after it is pulled.

#3 - June 24, 2012, 04:26:15 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

vilaubi57

Thanks Mike!!
#4 - June 25, 2012, 07:11:05 am

KidCurry

I generally only add sauce after the meat is finished resting, and only to taste.

Ribs and chicken I glaze at the very end of the cook.
#5 - June 25, 2012, 08:57:30 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Mike P in Tucson

It also depends on whether you are doing it to suit your taste or in a competition.
#6 - June 26, 2012, 09:13:43 am
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Quiggs

What "Kid" said!!
#7 - June 26, 2012, 09:42:25 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

Jackkyl

I like to spritz/baste a watered/thinner version of my bbq sauce on my pork during the cook.  If i do a rub, I use a spray bottle to mist and not knock off my seasonings. And I like to wait until 20-30 minutes into cooking.  If i don't use a rub, I slather on a good amount and baste with a brush throughout cooking.  Near the end of my cook time, I start using the thicker/regular bbq sauce and build up my "paint" layer.  But, it should be noted, I have never done bbq comps and I usually don't know what i'm doing....but my family digs my chow.
#8 - July 28, 2012, 01:28:58 pm

aimeusdietger

New!
 check my Texas gis data download link
gsf-promounts | gsfslides
https://gsf-promounts.com/product-category/extreme-heavy-duty-steel-slides/full-extension-drawer-slides/
https://minotaurfightstore.co.uk/mens-fight-gear/protection-men/boxing-gloves-protection-men/

when can you or when do you add bbq sauce to baby back pork ribs and or pork butt for pulled pork.? Maye it doesn't need but I was told by the pitmaster its what I like. Just asking for some help.
 good point on green building consulting | my title 24 calculations response | you can look calgreen certification here | | additional california title 24 hints

Thank everyone

Kyle In Tucson

I marinate my pork in a light barbecue sauce for about thirty minutes before grilling the pork in the oven for one hpur. halfway through the grilling i take out the prok and rub it more barbecue sauce to replace the one that drips off during cooking. Also, collect the drippings in the oven and use it on your pork while serving. Nothing goes to waste.
#9 - August 15, 2017, 05:43:15 am
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:01:39 am by aimeusdietger »

chas fm Merril

I like to spritz/baste a watered/thinner version of my bbq sauce on my pork during the cook.  If i do a rub, I use a spray bottle to mist and not knock off my seasonings. And I like to wait until 20-30 minutes into cooking.  If i don't use a rub, I slather on a good amount and baste with a brush throughout cooking.  Near the end of my cook time, I start using the thicker/regular bbq sauce and build up my "paint" layer.  But, it should be noted, I have never done bbq comps and I usually don't know what i'm doing....but my family digs my chow.
I don't know what the hell I'm doing either, buddy.  But I like your sense of humor, and honesty...and since your family likes it I figure mine will too. :)
#10 - December 19, 2017, 11:35:36 am

Mark

Because of the high sugar content of most sauces, it is smarter to apply it only during the last 5 or 10 minutes of cooking to glaze it. If it gets black that is a bitter taste in the making. for that same reason, I don't apply sauce to pulled pork until after it is shredded or chopped.
#11 - December 20, 2017, 10:41:23 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

rubyatiy

Thanks Mike!!
All of these are not predictable because of making these GMT 
#12 - February 11, 2019, 04:04:54 am

DAMIOZ

In the event that I complete a rub, I utilize a shower container to fog and not knock off my seasonings. What's more, I like to hold up until half hour into cooking. In the event that I don't utilize a rub, I slather on a decent sum and treat with a brush all through cooking.
#13 - May 22, 2019, 01:08:41 am

Members: