AZ Barbeque.com

Traeger XL vs Yoder YS640 ????

Discussion started on

CLMCHENRY

I have decided my next smoker/grill is going to be a pellet feed unit. From everything I have read, I have whittled the big decision to the Traeger XL and the Yoder YS640. I haven't yet put my hands on either unit or seen one up close so I wanted to hear from anyone that have experience with either unit to see the pros and cons of the units. Also if any one has any other recommendations over these.

80% of my smoking is smaller batches at home on the weekend, but the other 20% I do large spreads for friends and family. I'm also hoping to get in to competitions at some point once I have the skills down a little better.

Let me know what you all think

Thanks

Curt
#1 - July 08, 2011, 01:32:12 pm

azkitch

Everyone is clamoring over Green Mountain Cookers...mayhap check them out, too. Traeger XL made here or China? I've seen discussion of them not performing well--mainly the Chinese versions...
#2 - July 08, 2011, 02:58:22 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jmcrig

Traeger, made in China. Yoder, made in America. No choice. You get what you pay for.
#3 - July 08, 2011, 05:14:05 pm

chefrob

if yer in the east valley stop in @ bbq island...........
#4 - July 08, 2011, 09:56:21 pm

CLMCHENRY

Even though I'm from tucson I'm headed there next weekend to play and figure out exactly what I want. I've heard nothing but good  about that place.
#5 - July 08, 2011, 10:11:58 pm

Crash

Iv'e heard great things about the Mak Grills.  Think they are out of CA.
#6 - July 08, 2011, 11:10:56 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

toys4dlr

If you are really considering comps in the future, don't rule out the FEC 100.  I have fired mine up to do two racks of ribs or 16 butts.

#7 - July 09, 2011, 10:29:59 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

azkitch

The Darn Yankee BBQ page on FB has a running batch about Traegers, and a gentleman there really rips 'em hard, indicating that they've been extrememly unreliable in recent years.
#8 - July 09, 2011, 10:49:41 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jmcrig

The Darn Yankee BBQ page on FB has a running batch about Traegers, and a gentleman there really rips 'em hard, indicating that they've been extrememly unreliable in recent years.

What do you expect, THEY ARE MADE IN CHINA.
#9 - July 09, 2011, 11:06:52 am

RudedoggAZ

The yoder is a great cooker but i think they need to fix some things with the electrical. smitty has had nothing but problems with his. that said, if it gets fixed, u cant beat the digital temp and the thing is a tank... oh yeah, f traeger!  8)
#10 - July 09, 2011, 12:15:17 pm
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:18:45 pm by RudedoggAZ »

CLMCHENRY

If you are really considering comps in the future, don't rule out the FEC 100.  I have fired mine up to do two racks of ribs or 16 butts.

I'd love to get the FEC, but even used its out of my price range im looking under 2k. 
I found a used one at 1500 but it was in real rough shape.
#11 - July 09, 2011, 12:19:42 pm

CLMCHENRY

The yoder is a great cooker but i think they need to fix some things with the electrical. smitty has had nothing but problems with his. that said, if it gets fixed, u cant beat the digital temp and the thing is a tank... oh yeah, f traeger!  8)

I read about people having temp control issues, but I also have seen that Youder offered a reprogram and a couple of mods to its customers at no charge. Do you know if Smitty has had the fixes done? Seems like they have helped with most peoples issues.
#12 - July 09, 2011, 12:23:18 pm

CLMCHENRY

I went and played with a few today, the trager was nice but no one has anything positive to say about it. The Memphis grills feel kinda cheap but with a top dollar price. I like the yoder, but I think i want to look at a Mak and green mountain first. It doesn't help that I am an indecisive person, its gonna take me a month to decide what i want.
#13 - July 09, 2011, 12:27:49 pm

chefrob

i think i saw a green moutain as well at bbq island............can you use a pellet pooper in comps?
#14 - July 09, 2011, 09:14:17 pm

glenntm

i think i saw a green moutain as well at bbq island............can you use a pellet pooper in comps?

Yes, you can. 
#15 - July 09, 2011, 11:20:37 pm

Members: