AZ Barbeque.com

Pellets

Discussion started on

Harpo

Whats your favorite brand of pellets, wood and blends that you like. I use Epps Farms and Fast Eddies, which every I can get, I like Hickory with a little cherry mixed in. I here Fast Eddy is coming out with a 100% hickory pellet. Being from KY I do love my Hickory.
#1 - August 03, 2010, 07:58:51 pm
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

birdie64

I have two Traeger 075 smokers.  I like and enjoy them.  However, I would challenge (in a friendly, positive, exploring way) you to taste or smell the difference in a finished brisket or butt done with pecan, hickory, cherry, etc.   I do not think it can be done.  I believe the pellets are nearly interchangeable as far as finished product is concerned.  Why blend?  Use what you have.   There, that should start a good argument.
#2 - August 03, 2010, 09:07:26 pm

toys4dlr

I have been using BBQ'rs Delight Hickory blend.  I like the results that it brings.
#3 - August 03, 2010, 10:17:29 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Harpo

I believe the pellets are nearly interchangeable as far as finished product is concerned.  Why blend?  Use what you have.   There, that should start a good argument.
When I got my Traeger I bought Traeger pellets, Pecan, Hickory, Alder, Cherry, Apple and your right. I couldn't tell any difference in them let alone a good smoke ring. Since switching to Epps Farms and Fast Eddies, I myself feel I get more of a smoke flavor than I did with Traeger pellets. I would be happy with even more smoke flavor if I could get it on the Traeger. Could just be in my head, don't know. I now mainly use Hickory but add some Cherry to it and I get the prettiest red smoke ring now as in this last Brisket I cooked.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#4 - August 04, 2010, 05:47:48 am
FEC 100

birdie64

Where do you buy Fast Eddies pellets?  I know they are on the website but I have only found them in small 2 lb bags.
#5 - August 04, 2010, 12:03:55 pm

toys4dlr

Check BBQ Island, they are carring them.  FE himself will be there for a brisket class later in the month too. 
#6 - August 04, 2010, 02:47:20 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Harpo

Where do you buy Fast Eddies pellets?  I know they are on the website but I have only found them in small 2 lb bags.
I got my last load of Fast Eddy's at BBQ Island, I buy that or Epps Farms which ever they have in stock at that time.
#7 - August 05, 2010, 06:38:48 am
FEC 100

Members: