AZ Barbeque.com

Help needed

Discussion started on

studglove

I just picked up this Traeger. I'm guessing it's an older model. It has no model numbers or anything anywhere on it. When I plug it in it feeds pellets and the rod gets hot but does not start a fire. It continus to feed pellets until it is completely full and never heats up. Anybody have any clue what it could be? I really dont know anything about these cookers but would love to have it working. Any help would be great!!!

-Leonard
#1 - May 09, 2012, 09:38:14 pm
Attachments:

PAT YOUNG

GIVE KEN a call, he sell's TREAGER'S !
#2 - May 09, 2012, 10:34:54 pm

AzQer

Is the fan running that is what make the pellets ignite. I agree give Ken a call also he is great info. I had the same problem make sure the fan is running.
#3 - May 10, 2012, 08:19:44 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

studglove

I've been checking it out and it doesnt seem like the fan is running. Guessing thats going to be expensive. I haven't met Ken. Anyone got a number for him?
#4 - May 10, 2012, 09:45:57 am

studglove

Just looked closer and the fan base is getting extremely hot but the blades are not spinning. So i'm guessing it's definitely the fan causing this problem. Going to try cleaning up the fan, doubtful it will help.
#5 - May 10, 2012, 09:55:47 am

toys4dlr

I dont have a traeger, but a fair amount of knowledge of the pellet cookers.  THe glow plug that starts the pellets might be broken.  I use a Benzomatic torch to light them.  See if that gets it lit and if it stays lit.

On my FEC you have a fan blade that only moves when the augur is turning.  There is a seperate computer style fan that is there to keep the fire going.  If those are working I am better the glow plug thing is broken. 
#6 - May 10, 2012, 11:03:28 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

AzQer

Just try to start the fan manually. If it runs then blow it out with air and oil the barrings/Bushing. Fans are not that expensive. On my traeger the fan runs all the time or it sounds like it is.
#7 - May 10, 2012, 11:10:19 am
Mark Smith
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

studglove

Just cleaned out the fan and it started working. A fire started, so i'm letting it run to see if it stays lit and gets to temp. Will let you guys know how it works out. I appreciate the support!
#8 - May 10, 2012, 11:26:29 am

Harpo

I've had to take my fan off a couple of time to clean and lube it to get it to run normal. Another think I learned from Treager is the Hot Rod should only stick into the fire pot about and 1/8 of an inch to keep it from prematurely burning out. Good luck with it, when you get it working right you will love it I do believe.
#9 - May 10, 2012, 12:33:44 pm
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

studglove

After cleaning the fan, it did start working. On the smoke setting it held between 220-240. Does this seem about right for a traeger? I am very excited to get some brisket going on this!
#10 - May 10, 2012, 02:23:42 pm

AzQer

Smoke setting should be about 180 to 200 if you have a newer dial that has a digital read out you can change the P settings. When the temp is higher it means that the Auger is running longer which creates a hotter fire. It wont hurt anything it just uses more pellets and wont allow you to cook at lower temps.
#11 - May 10, 2012, 02:31:34 pm
Mark Smith
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

PAT YOUNG

LEONARD, For future reference KEN'S number at GOURMET GRILLS is 602-999-2286 / He's a good guy-i bought one of the TREAGER pink pigs from him 5 or 6 years ago!
#12 - May 10, 2012, 08:03:03 pm

frisco

I have found the people at Traeger very helpful. Good technical support, reasonable prices on parts. parts can be ordered on line www.traegergrills.com, or by phone 1-800-872-3437. Prompt delivery. If your in the valley there are a couple of Traeger reps who might offer service too. Good luck, happy grilling
#13 - September 01, 2013, 07:58:51 pm

Send this topic Print

Members: