AZ Barbeque.com

Sweet taters with brown sugar

Discussion started on

Jackkyl

Hey guys!  We were volunteered to bring the sweet taters to t-day dinner this year.  I'm looking for a more unique recipe with brown sugar perhaps, and nuts... But no marshmallows! Any suggs?
#1 - November 21, 2011, 08:14:13 pm

Mark

Crumbled bacon and a splash of bourbon will dress things up. So will a can of crushed pineapple and its juice.
#2 - November 21, 2011, 08:27:45 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

n2dabluebbq

now i know its canned, but maybe you'll like it...
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened, divided
    1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
    2 (29-ounce) cans sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar, flour, 1/4 cup butter, and the coconut, if desired; mix until crumbly, then set aside.

In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients, including remaining 1/4 cup butter; mix well. Spoon into casserole dish and sprinkle evenly with pecan mixture.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until bubbly and heated through.
#3 - November 22, 2011, 01:26:37 am
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Jackkyl

Thanks guys.  We are doin n2dablues recipe.  One o' my buddies is vegetarian so's I'm gonna have to pass on the bacon...tho that gives me an excuse for making bacaon-taters for xmas.  Thanks guys!! Have a phenomenal t-day!!
#4 - November 23, 2011, 01:05:58 pm

SmokeWatcher

Here's a recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole....very tasty!

For the topping:
one-half cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
one-half cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
2 tablespoons butter, melted

For the sweet potato mixture:
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 6 medium sweet potatoes, baked until fork tender, then peeled and mashed)
1 cup sugar
one-half teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, well-beaten
one-half cup (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces

Combine ingredients of topping mixture in mixing bowl, and set aside.
Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl. Combine thoroughly. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish.
Sprinkle the sweet potato mixture evenly with the topping mixture. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving.
Serves eight.
#5 - November 23, 2011, 03:51:33 pm
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.

Jackkyl

Hey n2dablue, I forgot to tell you, those taters were outstanding!!  My dish was the only one, THE ONLY ONE, that did not make it to the leftover pile.  I had wives and mom's a lil upset that my action was commented on a wee bit more than their own traditional dish o choice.  All in all, the way I like to do holidays.  I love when the "younger" guy comes in and upsurps the norm.  Heh. 
Any way, thanks for your tater recipe.  I added a splash of brandy to the mix as well.  Was tasty. 
My only change for next time is mashing 1/2 the taters instead o the whole batch so's I get a lil more texture out each bite.  And cutting the sugar down a lil as well.
#6 - December 06, 2011, 10:38:40 am

Members: