AZ Barbeque.com

BOWL O' RED !

Discussion started on

desertdog

During these cold, short days of late fall (what was it today, only 87?) the mind naturally wanders to cozy, comfort foods, like chili.

Sunday night I did a few slabs of ribs, but also cooked up a big pot o' chili...from the same recipe that we gobbled down in a drunken stup...er, elated condition, about 1-2 AM "Friday night" at the Pulte Event.

I actually gleaned the recipe from a fellow that goes by the name of Monty, so I call the dish Monty's Texas Red.

Any-who, I really like this version, and it tastes especially good two day after, making a delicious quick meal after the wife had me out running 3 miles tonight with the hound dogs.  And. since I missed my traditional Margarita Monday because of the Sushi thing last night, I mixed up a nice concoction to wash away the heat this great bowl of Texas Red delivers!

The only thing missing was some killer cornbread.....hey, I was too friggin tired, OK?  :D

Chuck (shoulder clod), about 3 lbs. and a little Bovine Bold to rub it down.

My daughter stealing a piece....

Done!  Topped with a little Jalapeno Jack....aahhhhhh!

Dean

#1 - November 18, 2008, 07:18:55 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Looks tasty Dean, I can almost feel the heat from here.  ;)
#2 - November 18, 2008, 07:22:46 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Quiggs

Damn that looks good, and I like your daughters technique!! :D
#3 - November 18, 2008, 07:45:02 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

KidCurry

Yummy Chili!! Looks mighty good.
#4 - November 18, 2008, 07:56:24 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Three4Que

Ummm, I didn't see the recipe for Monty's Texas Red Chili among all the yummy photos!  ;)
#5 - November 19, 2008, 05:48:02 am
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
"Keep it low and slow"

ASU Alumni

toys4dlr

Hey Dean,

Did you just grill that chuck prior to dicing it up or did you do a little slower cook on that gasser??

How did you like the Bovine??  I like it and used it In Buckeye on my Brisket.

Todd is sending me 5 lbs of the Bovine and 10 lbs. of the Yardbird.  Good Stuff

#6 - November 19, 2008, 08:54:17 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

desertdog

I rubbed it down with the Bovine, then seared it on all side over a hot fire.  Pulled it off, sliced it, reseasoned it, back on the fire for searing, pulled it off, cooled it a bit then cubed it. 

Mixed it (and the juices) in with the sauteed onions, roasted red bell pepper, garlic and roasted Jalapenos.  Added Big can of crushed tomatoes, regular can of Rotel, a bottle of Negro Modelo, a cup of chicken broth, good chili powder and cumin seeds. 

Put it in the oven covered (cast iron enameled pot works great) at about 290 for 2 1/2 hours, pulled it out added mexican oregano, some cayanne, salt and paprika.  Cooked it for another 1/2 hour.

#7 - November 19, 2008, 10:26:48 am

KidCurry

I have never done chilli in the oven, only in a pot or crock pot.  Do you think there is any difference?
#8 - November 19, 2008, 10:43:20 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

desertdog

I like the the slow, steady heat of the oven (also duplicating the effect of making it on a smoker), and it is just easier.  Don't have to worry about the bottom burning, etc.  Does it make it taste any better?  Hmmmmm, maybe.  Seems like stuff like this (or mac and cheese for example) tastes better when made in an oven.  And, if you are using a smoker, you could take the lid off the pot and let some of that smoke get in the chili......now were talkin!  That's how Monty did it.

#9 - November 19, 2008, 12:52:10 pm

BERNIETHEK

As a chili guy, just like you BBQ guys low and slow.  I've done it all three ways and don't see a difference.  But, like Dean said you could burn the bottom of the crock pot so I use crock pot liners (no mess to clean up).  After I brown my meat I add ingredients over a period of 4 hours then let it simmer an additional 2 hours for the flavors to blend.  I like to stir the pot because I think that makes a difference. 
#10 - January 23, 2009, 09:15:19 am
BERNIE

force

I knew I should have kept that pot at the pulte event....... by the way.. a german custom is to return it full after it is given back to you empty..........
#11 - January 24, 2009, 10:28:26 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Members: