AZ Barbeque.com

New Member in North Phoenix

Discussion started on

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

Hi, folks!

I'm a long-time BBQ fan finally getting truly serious about my cooking. I work in the food industry (though, not in BBQ yet!) and attend culinary school at night. I joined this site to find some like-minded folks, build some friendships, learn a thing or three, maybe start or join a team and support good food!

I'm in the process of building my starting recipes again (I'm going back to square one now that my general cooking skills are much stronger), including my sides, rubs, finish sauces, etc. I'm also going to build my own pit in a friend's backyard and am looking for any ideas or plans before I just to Home Depot and buy a bunch of cinder block...

Would love to attend some events locally and get to know some of you.

If anyone has any ideas on the pit or maybe where I can get material for the rack and fire box, please let me know. Oh, anyone looking for a good cook? I'm ready to roll!

Thanks!

Anton

#1 - February 19, 2012, 01:02:41 pm

Mark

BBQ Island over by Ikea is a great place to check out anything BBQ. And our club has about as many ways to smoke meat as we have members. For instance, I use ceramic cookers. Others use big offset cookers. And many more rely on the portability of WSMs...Weber Smokey Mountain. Check out of calendar for upcoming events. We look forward to meeting you soon. ;D
#2 - February 19, 2012, 04:23:36 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

Welcome aboard, Anton. Obviously you intend to build a permanent pit in the back yard. I bought #9 X 3/4" expanded metal from Davis Salvage on Washington Street, in the vicinity of 30th St. This stuff has proven to be very durable in terms of holding the burning charcoal in 2 different pits, and is also used as cooking grates in many trailer smokers. I was buying remnants, but you can get it in 4 X 8 foot sheets.
Where in N.Phoenix are you? I live near I-17 and Greenway. Seems like most of our members live in Mesa or thereabouts...not necessarily true, but seems like it sometimes.
#3 - February 19, 2012, 11:31:28 pm
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:33:27 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azchef1

Welcome Anton!! Good luck with your culinary career. Definitely get out and check out the events. Its a ton of work but fun at the same time. I know I saw last week Chris Feltheim posted he was looking to get a team going or join a team, maybe you two culinary guys could get one going together. You should send him a PM. Again, welcome to the site!!!
#4 - February 20, 2012, 02:50:18 am

bucaguy

Welcome aboard, Anton. Obviously you intend to build a permanent pit in the back yard. I bought #9 X 3/4" expanded metal from Davis Salvage on Washington Street, in the vicinity of 30th St. This stuff has proven to be very durable in terms of holding the burning charcoal in 2 different pits, and is also used as cooking grates in many trailer smokers. I was buying remnants, but you can get it in 4 X 8 foot sheets.
Where in N.Phoenix are you? I live near I-17 and Greenway. Seems like most of our members live in Mesa or thereabouts...not necessarily true, but seems like it sometimes.

Damn Kitch we get newby in the area and I up and move to Iowa.. DAmn
#5 - February 20, 2012, 07:32:32 am
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

IRONHORSE BBQ

Welcome Anton nice you found us here lots of info here from all the members just ask questions someone will jump in with
something again welcome.

Marv
#6 - February 20, 2012, 03:54:41 pm

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome.

@Mark: I didn't even know we had an Ikea... Boy, would I love to have a ceramic cooker!

@azkitch After looking at some designs, we decided to go with a UDS and are searching for the barrel now. I started with one of those little bullet smokers maybe ten years back and then graduated to an offset New Braunfels. However, I was disappointed by the lack of heat stability in either unit and that concern led to my intention to build a much more insulated unit so I'm not dealing with everything being chaotic while developing recipes. But I found some pretty convincing evidence that a drum-based unit was inexpensive, easy to build and stable heat-wise, so we're going that route now. I'm by the PV mall, so not far from you at all and my buddy is around 43rd & Union Hills. A beer, perhaps, to make introductions?

@azchef1 Thanks! It's going to be an interesting career. They won't let me do my externship in BBQ, but I'm going to break out anyway. Just need to find the right bunch of folks! Thanks for the suggestion--I'll look him up and PM him today.

@mrbent50 Thank you. I'm sure I will make myself known with some questions here and there. And, as I said, I want to start or join a team, so I'll probably make noise about that. Hey, I'm also interested in volunteer events when I can fit them in, so let me know, folks!

#7 - February 21, 2012, 01:37:02 pm

azkitch

Many threads here about getting new drums...I'll find one, and edit this post with a link. Keep your eyes peeled. (OW!)
This won't help you buy a drum, but it'll make the evening more enjoyable...
http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/jokes/how-the-internet-got-started/

This, on the other hand, will help get a drum...
http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bds-and-uds-smokers/drums-in-the-phoenix-area/

I made my firebox out of #9 X 3/4" expanded metal, a weber charcoal grate, and a pie pan. Details are on various threads. Again, search "firebox" would be my guess. Make sure you search from the main heading, cuz the search works in the thread you are on...

I just tried that, and it'll keep ya busy for a while!...
#8 - February 21, 2012, 03:08:11 pm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:15:17 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

@azchef1 I did find and respond to Chris' post looking for a team to join. I need to figure out where he is, though.
#9 - February 22, 2012, 07:08:17 pm

azchef1

Hey Anton, As far as I know he still lives in Tucson. He came by and said Hi at the last comp. I'm sure it wont take him long to respond.
#10 - February 22, 2012, 07:59:34 pm

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

Well, that's going to make it difficult... I plan on hitting the Surprise festival on March 3. I hope to meet a bunch of you there.
#11 - February 22, 2012, 09:24:02 pm

azchef1

Def , come by and say hi.....FYI..I cook solo, so it can be done by one or 2 people no problem. It just depends on how much work you want to put into it. I've been cooking in the industry for years and its hard to give up control of that.....Damn EGO! 
#12 - February 22, 2012, 10:18:41 pm

Rustekka (Iconoclast)

I can see how it can be done solo. I'm not afraid of that, but I wasn't sure how much cooking actually had to be done at these events (do you have to have entries for every meat? Do you have to prepare sides? Is there a built-in choke point of time that makes it very difficult for one person to finish by themselves? Etc....)
#13 - February 23, 2012, 08:57:08 am

FIREANDDESIRE

Welcome  :) :) :) :)
#14 - May 13, 2012, 01:15:39 am

Members: