AZ Barbeque.com

wazzup!

Discussion started on

qued-up

Hello to all from gilbert!
I've been meaning to sign up for a long time now and finally got around to it. I went to the fine event over the weekend and had a great time but got there a little too late and you all had ate most everything. I've been burnin meat in my BGE for a few years now and even destroyed the fire grate already!! Got the pork butt down but that seems pretty hard to screw up on the BGE and gettin closer on the ribs but need help with the brisket. Maybe haven't cooked it long enough but any tips would be appreciated. I've got a killer sauce I would like to bottle, is there anyone out there that can help with advice and horror stories so I know what I'm gettin into?

David
#1 - December 08, 2009, 03:40:07 pm

jmcrig

Welcome aboard David. I'm sure you'll find some great answers to your questions here. Here's the link to one of our members that's been dealing with bottleing;

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bbq-discussion/barbecue-sauce-bottles/

we have some real brisket experts on here that I'm sure will jump in with some brisket help. Again welcome.
#2 - December 08, 2009, 03:48:38 pm

smitty250

Welcome David - for Brisket just like everything else - low and slow. The last Brisket I did was around 13lbs. and was done after 18 hours. Do the toothpick test - if you stick in a toothpick and it goes in like warm butter - it's done. Hope that helps.
#3 - December 08, 2009, 03:53:51 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

n2dabluebbq

or if you want, instead of a toothpick a bamboo skewer will work in a pinch. other things to take into consideration are things such as temps cooked, temp brisket is pulled at, rest time, foil or no foil, etc.
 so hop on up and let us in on your cooking method(s).

oh and welcome to the forum.
#4 - December 08, 2009, 04:15:25 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

azkitch

Yeah. What they said. You probably haven't waited long enough. Brisket, when cooking by time, is done when it finishes cooking. Aim for a particular cooking temp; I'm always aiming for 240. Most people pull the brisket to put it in foil in the region of 170*. I've seen posts and suggestions that have briskets foiled as early as 140*, which is when the smoke ring stops forming. Make sure you trim as much fat as possible so you don't spend time cooking it! Kid Curry posted a great link about competition cooking from the Pickled Pig team website, where they break down, to recipes and precise steps, how they prep chicken and briskets.
Gee, I'm running off at the "mouth" again. Imagine that. People are shocked.
Welcome to our smoky corner of AZ. Hope to meet you at some events. This is a great group of people. A great group of DAVES, too! WOO HOOO, We got another!!
Dave
#5 - December 08, 2009, 04:32:01 pm
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:44:06 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

David, WELCOME to the club/site, great to have you.  Don't know if we met over the weekend or not, but I do look forward to meeting you again out at some of our events.  Our Annual Holiday Party is coming up this weekend and it is NOT to be missed.

Hope you enjoy the site, we do have some GREAT BBQers on here and everyone is always willing to help out.  We have a very friendly group and have a lot of fun.

WELCOME to our BBQ Family.

Mike
#6 - December 08, 2009, 05:24:38 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

RobOConnell

Howdy Dave... Welcome to the forum. We here are very happy to have new members. Only thing we ask is you post lots of pics. There is plenty of help here if you need it and we all enjoy a new way of looking at things too.  As for Kitch... come on Dave,  :laugh: I have never known you to " run off at the mouth"  >:D nope, never.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
#7 - December 08, 2009, 08:36:42 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

AzQer

Welcome to the club glad you had time to stop by this last weekend. Pull up a log and enjoy the site
#8 - December 08, 2009, 08:37:08 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

KidCurry

Welcome!!!
#9 - December 08, 2009, 08:46:35 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Welcome aboard....... Glad to have ya
#10 - December 08, 2009, 09:03:52 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Crash

Welcome, great to have you here.
#11 - December 08, 2009, 10:28:14 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

bearbonez

Welcome aboard!!
#12 - December 09, 2009, 05:27:50 am
David "Bear" Nunley

qued-up

Wow!! Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the tips (just wish they were burnt) pretty bad joke huh? You guys are great I'm sure I will learn a lot from you pro's! Should I always foil the brisket or do some of not do that? looks like a mountain of info to go through with all of the wonderful threads. I'll put up some pix of my next feast.

Cheers!
David
#13 - December 10, 2009, 09:17:48 pm

Crash

We always foil our briskets.  It works for us.
#14 - December 10, 2009, 09:20:13 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

n2dabluebbq

haven't foiled a brisket since around 99 or 2k. lots of folks do though. but then again i don't inject either. guess i'm just a hard headed old fart! hahaha
#15 - December 10, 2009, 09:45:56 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Members: