AZ Barbeque.com

The Zdog Comes Barking

Discussion started on

z98dog

Hi Everyone!

I am excited join this group. I am a novice smoker, but love the smells, tinkering, but most of all...playing with fire!

I recently got a cheap price on a cheap smoker (Brinkmann 2-door vertical) and know I will soon upgrade. Gotta start somewhere I suppose. I already put too much money into it with mods trying to maintain a decent temp. Right now I am trying to figure out how to build/jury rig a side firebox so I can build real fires. If anyone runs across a decent rig for around $300 let me know.

I live in Scottsdale AZ, have 4 kids (2 at ASU), teach math and science (chemistry & environmental) for University of Phoenix, and enjoy BBQ. My wife maintains control of the gas grill, and that is ok with me. I want to build my abilities to the point where I make those lip smacking ribs and even smoke some jerky and cheese.

I look forward to learning from you all, and attending some events.

#1 - August 24, 2010, 08:51:12 pm
Brinkman Vertical - NBBD offset Horizonal - Custom cold smoke generator - Kingsford Oval Kettle - Pitmaster iQue 110 stoker - Weber OTS Kettle - Customized gas Pizza grill - Mini WSM-style smoker - UDS

AzJohnnyC

Welcome, Zdog!
#2 - August 24, 2010, 08:52:25 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

n2dabluebbq

welcome  to the forum zdog. ya know, with 3hundred bones, you probably could find a decent offset on craigslist(especially in phoenix). hope you find all the information you need here and if i am lucky, maybe i'll be able to provide info for you too.
#3 - August 24, 2010, 08:58:43 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

z98dog

Thanks Glen,

I know what you mean. I am almost to the point of setting up an RSS feed to check on charcoal grills and smoker grills from craigslist. I will take all the help I can get.

Great to be here.
#4 - August 24, 2010, 09:18:47 pm
Brinkman Vertical - NBBD offset Horizonal - Custom cold smoke generator - Kingsford Oval Kettle - Pitmaster iQue 110 stoker - Weber OTS Kettle - Customized gas Pizza grill - Mini WSM-style smoker - UDS

Crash

Welcome Doug, great to have you here.
#5 - August 24, 2010, 09:32:52 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey Doug, welcome to the club/site, great to have you here.  I just sent you a PM as well.

We have a great group of BBQers here and lots of great discussions.  Look forward to seeing you jump in and participate in them.

Hope to meet you soon as well out at some of our great upcoming events.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#6 - August 24, 2010, 09:36:11 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

glenntm

Welcome Doug....
#7 - August 24, 2010, 09:45:29 pm

smitty250

Welcome to the site - enjoy!!
#8 - August 24, 2010, 10:14:42 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Mark

Welcome, Doug! Keep your eye on the forum here. Quite often members post a cooker they want to sell or they spotted on the likes of Craig's List or eBay.
#9 - August 25, 2010, 04:03:12 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Welcome aboard Doug. Alot of good folks and information here. Enjoy ;D
#10 - August 25, 2010, 12:24:31 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

AzQer

Welcome to the club Doug sounds like your heading in the right direction for sure. See ya soon
#11 - August 25, 2010, 12:29:47 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

z98dog

Thanks Mark, Matt, and Mark...Hmmm? The three M's ;)

I plan on looking until I find a good starter unit, but in the meantime still playing with the vertical. Found lots of good info on wood flavors and lump charcoal already.

Went to BB and got a bag of pecan and apple, will chunk some with saw, wedge, and sledge. I will let you know how that turns out in the wood forums. (Yes, Mike...with pictures! :police:)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It is nice to not just be a pretty face on the newbie list. Oh, and Mark, I am plenty fluffy too!
#12 - August 25, 2010, 05:19:29 pm

azkitch

Welcome, zdog. I'll start the parade of Davids, to go with the 3 Ms
Glad to have you on.
#13 - August 25, 2010, 10:51:08 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Thanks Mark, Matt, and Mark...Hmmm? The three M's ;)

I plan on looking until I find a good starter unit, but in the meantime still playing with the vertical. Found lots of good info on wood flavors and lump charcoal already.

Went to BB and got a bag of pecan and apple, will chunk some with saw, wedge, and sledge. I will let you know how that turns out in the wood forums. (Yes, Mike...with pictures! :police:)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It is nice to not just be a pretty face on the newbie list. Oh, and Mark, I am plenty fluffy too!
the Three M's........ The Three Muska'Quers
#14 - August 26, 2010, 10:27:24 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Mark

the Three M's........ The Three Muska'Quers
Now, if we'd 'que muskrat ears, you'd have a real tongue twister. ;)
#15 - August 26, 2010, 01:29:47 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: