AZ Barbeque.com

Hello All!

Discussion started on

MountainGroveSmoker

Hey Everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

My name is Matt and I LOVE barbecue!  I love to eat it and I love to cook it.  I grew up with some pretty good barbecue at home (my dad is from Chicago and cooks some pretty mean ribs and chicken). I first started grilling when I was about 8 years old... on a small square Weber that I payed $2 for (I actually got more than $2 worth of charcoal with the small grill.  The grill is still with me and I use it a little bit now and then when we are out. When I got married I tried to cook some barbecue myself... let's just say that my first attempt at chicken is still referred to as the "bat wings" fiasco (you know what I mean, black on the outside and raw in the middle).  I was thoroughly convinced that the ability to barbecue was an an inherent trait.  Boy did I have (and still have) a lot to learn! The funny thing is, the more I learn the more I realize how little I know! 
I have been blessed with the opportunity to eat barbecue in a number of shrines throughout the South like the Rendezvous in Memphis (my first introduction to dry ribs), and Kreuz Market and the Salt Lick in Texas (my first introduction to brisket... I am wearing a patch to try to quit but it just ain't helpin'!!!!) just to name a couple.  And I am hooked.  You can ask my wife... I've got the bug bad!
This weekend I attended my first competition (Get Your Pig On).  Boy was that fun!  I really learned a lot and ate some really good barbecue.  I don't have a competitive nature, but I plan on going to a lot of those to enjoy watching different techniques and styles and tasting the results.  I also plan to register for a KCBS barbecue judge class at some point just to learn and improve my own backyard productions.  These days I have a couple of Weber grills (a 18.5 OTS that my brother gave me as a wedding present and a classic 22.5" red Weber that my grandfather bought in Chicago in 1972)  I am seasoning a brand new 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain that my dad bought and boy is it sweet.  I will be saving up for the next couple of months to pick one of those up!
That's all for now.  I look forward to learning a lot from all of you here on the forum. 
-Matt
#1 - December 10, 2010, 03:38:58 pm

KidCurry

welcome.
#2 - December 10, 2010, 03:58:23 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Trailhound

Welcome Matt enjoy the site
#3 - December 10, 2010, 04:22:15 pm
Don't over think your common sense
East Texas Smoker
2 UDS
Knaack Tool Box Smoker
http://trailhoundsmokersbbq.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Trailhoundsmokers
KCBS CBJ #55596

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey Matt, welcome once again to the site/club, great to have you here.

We do have a great group of BBQers here with lots of great Discussions, so jump on in and enjoy.

You joined at the right time, we are holding our Annual Charity Holiday Party & Awards Banquet tomorrow and if you ever attend any of our events, this is the one to attend.  Visit http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/6th-annual-azbarbeque-holiday-party/ to find out all the details.

I look forward to seeing you online here and hope to meet you soon out at some of our great upcoming events.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#4 - December 10, 2010, 06:00:57 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Hey....Another Matt....Welcome aboard and enjoy the site ;D
#5 - December 10, 2010, 06:17:53 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

PAT YOUNG

WELCOME MATT!! :)
#6 - December 10, 2010, 06:42:20 pm

AzQer

Welcome Matt glad you found us looking forward to your BBQ adventures
#7 - December 10, 2010, 07:01:07 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Crash

Welcome Matt. 
#8 - December 11, 2010, 12:55:49 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AZWildcat

I am seasoning a brand new 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain that my dad bought and boy is it sweet.  I will be saving up for the next couple of months to pick one of those up!
Ya know Matt, that's how it started with me. Just a 18.5" WSM, then the BITE!
#9 - December 12, 2010, 07:26:25 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

azkitch

Welcome to our little crazy corner, Matt. Yes, Weber makes some incredible equipment. I have a Craigslist special 22" OTS to go along with my UDS and the offset I don't use anymore...This is an amazing bunch of guys & gals here. Looking forward to pictures.
After you've been a judge for a while, you may get the bug to enter competitions. I know that's one of my dreams...
Dave
#10 - December 12, 2010, 09:01:54 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: