AZ Barbeque.com

People look at me funny.

Discussion started on

BellyDoc

When I start to talk about barbecue, people look at me funny.  They don't get it.  It's frustrating.  Part of the problem is that most of them don't know the difference between grilling and smoking, but even for those who do, only some of them recognize the difference in time committment entailed.  No amount of explaining substitutes for experience.

I've been making true barbecue for about 5 years, ever since I began to max the capability of a simple grill using indirect heat.  However, I've cooked with fire for many many years.  When I used to spend months at a time travelling and camping in the mountains, my friends would be rehydrating freeze dried meals, while I'd be fire roasting whole chickens. 

Yesterday was my 41'st birthday.  By a totally unplanned lucky coincidence, the Lang smoker that I had ordered a few weeks prior arrived at my door.  It's replacing a tired but functional unit that I welded up out of a 55 gallon drum a couple of years back.  The Lang unit is gorgeous!  The internal baffle design is brilliant!  I immediately filled my FJ with pecan wood at Berry Bros. and got some excellent advice about using my new Lang.  I was also informed about the existence of this forum.

Tonight, when I get home, I'm starting a seasoning fire and conditioning the metal.  As soon as its ready, two briskets will go on.  Tomorrow morning, 6 racks of ribs will join the briskets and then by afternoon, a couple of chickens will go on, just for fun. 

Since I'm a committed barbecue nut and because I'm not going to stop trying to have conversations about my passion, I've joined this forum.  At least you people will understand me. 

...besides, if you look at me funny, I won't be able to see. ;)

#1 - July 06, 2007, 11:27:57 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Belly Doc,

Welcome to the site, great to have you here, I'm sure you will find lots of great info and contacts here.  We do have a bunch of great BBQers here.

You are going to love that Lang, we have a few of our members who have them.  Did you get a mobile one or a stationary unit?  Hopefully we can get you out to the Competition in November and get you hooked on the Competition world, it is addictive.

Hopefully we get to meet you soon at one of our events, we typically have something going each month.

If you get a chance, post some pictures of your new unit.  I'm glad Berry Bros gave you our info, they are some great people over there.

Enjoy the site and if you have any questions, suggestions or just comments, jump on in and participate.

Regards,

Mike
#2 - July 06, 2007, 12:01:23 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

BellyDoc

Even the people at Barry Bros looked at me funny... maybe it was that I showed up in regular office clothing and pitched firewood into my car for 45 minutes in 115 degree heat.  I'd have looked at me funny too!

Then I had to get back to a meeting with hospital executives and equipment reps.  I was covered in spinters and dripping sweat... more funny looks.

Then I arrived home with a car full of firewood and my daughters looked at me funny.

I've got a moble 60... you BET I'll go to competitions!  I need to start hanging out with people who understand me! :D
#3 - July 06, 2007, 04:10:20 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

See, now that's called Passion.  Passion for the Love of BBQ...

I Love it...  Glad to have you on board.  Can't wait to meet you and share stories... ;)
#4 - July 06, 2007, 04:17:19 pm
Michael J. Reimann

devil daddy

Belly Doc,
Love to hear that!
The November cook-off web site is www.swibbqcookoff.com I really hope you sign up and cook with us! I can promise you a fantastic time!
#5 - July 07, 2007, 08:14:46 am

BellyDoc

Alrighty then... it's a date.

I've just blocked the 11/9 through 11/11 weekend.

All I need to know is... EVERYTHING! :D

Should I recruit a team?  Should I prepare my wife and kids for an overnight campout?

Am I expected to enter ribs and brisket and chicken?

HELLLLLP!!
#6 - July 08, 2007, 04:41:27 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Awesome.....

Yes, plan on either getting a hotel close by for the family to use (as you will be at the cook site all night) or set up a tent or RV out at the site.

Being your first contest, I would highly suggest you put together a team and see if you can't get some people that have done at least one competition or attended one before.  They are not hard, but it's good to have someone there that can help you keep on track.

I would suggest you do what you are good at, if you are good at Brisket, then you cook Brisket and find other team members who are good at Chicken, Ribs, Pork and have them each do their speciality.

My first 2 contests, this is what I did, I put a team of 4 and 6 together.  We each took our speciality and cooked it, we all helped each other, but we were "In Charge" of our speciality.  It worked out great and we were very happy and successful.

I'm excited to hear you are coming and I really look forward to meeting you and getting to know you better.  ;)
#7 - July 08, 2007, 04:49:17 pm
Michael J. Reimann

BellyDoc

After announcing my intent to participate in the competition to my colleagues at the hospital, I've come up with a long list of volunteers to help me with my practice efforts...

Some of my surgical residents want to join me at the pit... none with any experience, and all with proven capacity to drink my beer.

The entertainment value of having Dr. Moe, Dr. Larry, and Dr. Curly is obvious.  I think I've got a team... God help us all.
#8 - July 09, 2007, 08:58:36 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey, I think I've had Moe, Larry & Curly on my team before as well.

Congrats on getting your team together.  It is addictive, so I'm sure you will all have a great time and be hooked like we all are.

Have them sign up here and enjoy the site as well.  We are always looking for new members.  ;)
#9 - July 09, 2007, 10:47:58 pm
Michael J. Reimann

BellyDoc

Regarding getting my residents to join the forum...

I thought about it for 2 seconds and concluded, "nah, thats not a good idea."  I'd hate to find out that my residents are actually as illterate as their chart notes and operative dictations indicate.  If they actually TYPE that badly, then its over.  Sometimes it's just better not to know.

There's an old saying in surgery (probably used elsewhere as well):

"Sometimes it's better to remain silent and allow the presumption of ignorance, rather than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
#10 - July 10, 2007, 02:41:38 pm

Members: